Reel Chronicles...

Started by FloridaFishinFool, March 16, 2017, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 27, 2018, 04:01:28 PM
They feel the same physically in my hand but not when I get a fish on. Curado feels much smoother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, what model Curado, and what model Citica?
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WTodd

All 3 (2 Curados & 1 Citica) are all G models and I just ordered a K model. I've no issues with any of the 3 but Citica needs some sprucing up

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 27, 2018, 04:12:04 PM
All 3 (2 Curados & 1 Citica) are all G models and I just ordered a K model. I've no issues with any of the 3 but Citica needs some sprucing up

OK, yeah, the G series was an off series by Shimano. I had a Citica G. Changing the bushing on the driveshaft to a bearing makes a big difference, but honestly, other than that they are close to the same reel internally. When you are ready, we can do some magic to it. Gear sets may be hard to come by, but I will look around at my vendors. You are using LH or RH reels? 200=RH, 201=LH.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WTodd

All RH; only planning on the Citica right now BUT when the time comes I'll the Curados as needed

WTodd

Question about the new K model; the reviews I've read say they come with a lot of grease; how easy is it to clean some of it out?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 27, 2018, 04:24:10 PM
Question about the new K model; the reviews I've read say they come with a lot of grease; how easy is it to clean some of it out?

Its mostly the bearings you have to worry about the "grease", and an easy fix at that by dropping in some better bearings.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 27, 2018, 04:21:31 PM
All RH; only planning on the Citica right now BUT when the time comes I'll the Curados as needed

Cake man, cake....

WTodd

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 27, 2018, 04:27:40 PM
Its mostly the bearings you have to worry about the "grease", and an easy fix at that by dropping in some better bearings.
I'll keep that in mind...thanks

WTodd

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 27, 2018, 04:28:01 PM
Cake man, cake....
I heard you're pretty good with them. Can you IM your address to me and I'll send the Citica when my new K model shows up?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 27, 2018, 04:31:23 PM
I heard you're pretty good with them. Can you IM your address to me and I'll send the Citica when my new K model shows up?

Sure. No problemo.

redux

Quote from: cport on June 27, 2018, 08:44:28 AM
Its no use, redux, just leave it alone. It's obvious that the bait monkey has WTodd in his clutches lo lo lo

Poor fella. He was good ol' boy.
You can't win of you're not in.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 27, 2018, 04:27:40 PM
I soak mine in mineral spirits for a while and then spin them on a knitting needle. Repeat as necessary. Mine had just about enough grease in just the spool bearings to service the whole damn reel. I think I posted a pic in one of those threads I linked.
Dropping in better bearings would be quicker, easier, and a better fix. There are videos on youtube specifically of the K model before and after upgrading the bearings. I don't know if "before" means cleaned factory bearings or as they come greased by the factory, but I can tell you just by watching the videos the spool spins longer and easier than my cleaned ones after upgrades.
Only reason I haven't upgraded the bearings is because... I have no good reason, I'm just a cheapskate.

Upgrading every bearing and handle on every baitcaster I have is on my list, but the bearings and handles I want would cost enough to buy at least one more Curado, maybe another one and another nice rod. But I'd want an HG or regular K next, which means I'd also have to get a new handle for those.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: redux on June 27, 2018, 08:25:43 PM
Poor fella. He was good ol' boy.

Yeah, I might ruin him too.  ~roflmao

~beer~

FloridaFishinFool

I recently did a quick fix on a Daiwa Exceler 100SH. Definitely one of Daiwa's cheaper reels made in China. Made so cheaply that cranking down on the cast control knob and the side plate on opposite side pushed out.

Notice left side plate pushing out when cast control knob is tightened opposite side?

Rusted and pitted part of the AR bearing inside Daiwa:

Just finished putting some Italian ice braid on my old curado... ready to rock!

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

FloridaFishinFool

We love reels like this! Brought into our shop in pieces in bags. He did half the work for us!

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

FloridaFishinFool

Here's another stradic 4000FG brought into our shop after the owner tried to fix it himself at home. He wound up destroying his worm gear because he did not repair the frozen up pawl and oscillation block:

Lipripper

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 01:50:34 PM
We love reels like this! Brought into our shop in pieces in bags. He did half the work for us!

I hope you charged extra for that job.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Lipripper on June 29, 2018, 01:55:19 PM
I hope you charged extra for that job.  lo lo

You know Lip those are the easy ones... as long as all the parts are in there... it is the salty dogs we should be charging more for.

I just cracked open a Shimano Calcutta 250 that has never been serviced since the day it was purchased new. And then used in saltwater and used until the reel came to a grinding halt- literally.

Just look at that rust! This reel was full of beach sand and seashells too...

Lipripper

Dang that would be like me not taking a bath for a couple of months after playing in the sandbox.  :shocking:

FloridaFishinFool

It took 20 plus years for this one Lip! Not bad really considering some of today's cheap crappola reels don't last a year or two without saltwater and beach sand...

Just finished up a Curado 200i HG... I like the new friction plate Shimano added under all the gears and mechanisms... curado i on left and older Curado 200E7 on right that did not come with an added friction plate. Its called a clutch guard, but also serves as a reduction of friction plate under the clutch. In the older curado reels everything went right up against the frame.

This reminds me... time to service my own reels... ugh! Hey the boss just left... time to go fishing!

Just found out Chinese and Japanse Shimano engineers will be here on Thursday and I am suppose to clean up my bench... Yeah right.

I wonder if it is true about Shimano possibly going to produce a Curado DC reel!

Lipripper

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 02:16:53 PM
It took 20 plus years for this one Lip! Not bad really considering some of today's cheap crappola reels don't last a year or two without saltwater and beach sand...

Just finished up a Curado 200i HG... I like the new friction plate Shimano added under all the gears and mechanisms... curado i on left and older Curado 200E7 on right that did not come with an added friction plate. Its called a clutch guard, but also serves as a reduction of friction plate under the clutch. In the older curado reels everything went right up against the frame.

This reminds me... time to service my own reels... ugh! Hey the boss just left... time to go fishing!

Just found out Chinese and Japanses Shimano engineers will be here on Thursday and I am suppose to clean up my bench... Yeah right.
If the boss left for the weekend yelp it's time ot go fishing.  ;D

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Lipripper on June 29, 2018, 02:19:39 PM
If the boss left for the weekend yelp it's time ot go fishing.  ;D

Yep! I'm outta here!

Lipripper

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 02:38:17 PM
Yep! I'm outta here!
Don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out.  ;D

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 02:16:53 PM

I wonder if it is true about Shimano possibly going to produce a Curado DC reel!

Yep, its coming.