Minnesota water color/clarity

Started by baileyjs, March 31, 2017, 11:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyjs

I couldn't believe the water clarity of Minnetonka last year that they're saying is because of the zebra muscles. I know it's a wide open question, but what are Minnesota waters considered as far as color/clarity? stained, clear etc.?  I know they're not the "pea soup" you see in some places, but also not clear like some lakes.  I've always struggled choosing colors to use when looking at water clarity/color because I know a lot of the instructional videos/articles are from down south.   

CraigP83

There is no standard. Lots of lakes in southern MN or late in "dog days" of summer will be pea soup colored. Some of the deeper lakes are crystal clear and then in the "iron range" lakes often have a tannic color to them. Heck even Minnetonka can vary considerably from bay to bay, Robinson Bay for example will be crystal clear and Stubbs will be dark and green.

This is an old picture from Knife Lake in Central MN. Look at the water in the back of the boat it's "pea soup"

CraigP83

As far as colors, I buy most everything in both "Dark" (blacks/blues/purples) and "Natural" (geen pumpkin/brown/smoke) and just adapt once I'm on the water and can see how clear it is.

RuddyDuck

I think Craig summed it up pretty good. All kinds of water conditions in my area. Early things are pretty clear, then mid to late summer things get pretty green, even that stuff that you don't want your dog swimming in! I kinda like that stuff now, as the fish seem to hold to cover more.  Then it clears up again and by late fall visibility is back to about 5-6ft. Shoot during ice fishing season u can see down about 8-10ft.

This means you need to have a variety of colors. Even with stuff like lipless and square bills, I find myself switching to more natural stuff in the clear water and brighter in the not so clear stuff.

Good luck fishing.
Dan

RuddyDuck

Looks like someone dumped a bunch of Green paint in some of the lakes now! :( Fish don't mind it though. I like to fish docks on those lakes, fish don't spook so easily.  ~fff
Dan