Following Seth Feider's footsteps

Started by FoxMurderer, April 14, 2017, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxMurderer

Hey everyone, I'm a big Minnesota small mouthed bass/ walleye guy, mainly bass. I'd love to promote you guys a lot! I am doing 6 bass tournaments this summer and try to fish every day! I'm 16 and love to fish. I'm young and have a future in bass fishing....
SF-roll model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

A couple of quick suggestions for you.

1) You are going to need a resume to present to potential sponsors.

2) In order to create a resume you are going to need to get some experience under your belt first. You have to show companies that you can fish, and also that you can market their products for them.

3) You need to use products from the companies you want to promote, and have a good working knowledge of the different product lines and their features. Companies want to know you believe in THEIR products and are not just looking for a free handout.

4) You absolutely need to present yourself to the companies in the manner of what you can do for the company, NOT asking what they can do for you. There is no such thing as a free lunch as they say. You will be expected to work very hard for whatever it is the company is willing to offer you.

5) When you are ready only send resumes to the companies for the products that you believe in and use. If you are just looking for ANY company to put you on their team just so you can say you are on a Pro-Staff or just so you think you can get free products it's not going to happen for you.
Companies often talk to each other. If it gets around that you are contacting anyone and everyone for a position on their staff it will probably hurt your chances to get on ANY companies team more than it will help.

6) We already talked a little in the PM's I sent you early on about staying in school and studying business and marketing so I won't rehash that stuff here.

I am not saying all these things to try and scare you away from your dreams. I am just trying to help you know some of the realities of the situation. Other people will probably chime in and offer some more useful advice too.

Take it as advice from folks who have been there and who are trying to help you. I for one believe that you can do whatever you put your mind to. You just need to have a realistic idea of what will be expected of you and then work out a plan to achieve those things.  ~sun
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FoxMurderer

Thanks sun! Okay I kinda see where stuff is heading now. I saw on a different forum that a kid used a resumè outline and copied, I'm guessing he plagiarized and I need to make my own, correct? Also, your saying I should get into the product of the team and promote them before I'm on the team and pictures? I can easily do that just need to know if that's what I need to do...
Thanks

ʇuǝɹq™

You need to promote product that you are believer in, and not just look for free handouts. Example, I love Trokar hooks. If VMC came along and offered me a spot on their pro staff I would turn it down, because I do not like 95% of their product, and I would not promote a product that I don't have any confidence in. I use to run a Facebook page for a company, and I received messages daily from people wanting to "promote" my product. My first question was, "Have you tried our product before?" They would always say, "No, but if you send me some I would love to promote it for you." Well, it doesn't work that way.

You most definitely need to make your own résumé.  Using someone else's just shows laziness. If it was easy to get on pro staff's everyone would do it. You have to set yourself apart from the next guy that is trying as well. You can use other resume's to help guide you in setting one up, but make sure it's your own when you're done.

It's a hard to get going, and you can't discouraged. You will get way more "We're not interested in adding any new staffers at this time", than you will get, "We'd love to have you".

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FoxMurderer on April 19, 2017, 12:05:02 PM
Also, your saying I should get into the product of the team and promote them before I'm on the team and pictures? I can easily do that just need to know if that's what I need to do...
Thanks

In a nutshell what I am saying is what baits do YOU use? Why?

If you have a Facebook page talk about them on there. Why you like them better than anything else out there. If you have a Twitter account, same thing. Show Pictures or You Tube videos of catches on those lures, preferably with the lure still in the fish's mouth. Give a little detail as to why you think that particular bait worked when similar baits wouldn't. If you fish a tournament post pictures or video.

See where I'm going here? Believe in a product first. Then share with people why you believe in that product versus a similar one from another company. And SHOW them them that it works for you through your pictures and videos.

If someone asks you a question about the product have as much info. about it as you can and be ready to answer their questions. But stay honest. If you don't know the answer say, I'm not sure about that but I can find out for you, then follow through.

Do these things and after a while you will have something to put on a resume to show to that company. In today's digital world social media is a very powerful tool for promotion - both of a product you use because you believe in it and in promoting yourself. Most companies are going to want the URLs to all of your social media accounts so they can see if what you are telling them matches up with real world experience.

j102

Besides the lures, do the same with the reel, the line, the shirt, etc. Anything you use. And out of many companies, it helps to use the well known companies such as StrikeKing for lures, Shimano or Daiwa or Penn for reels, PowerPro or Berkely for lines, Columbia clothes, etc. Well known companies.
Good luck!

FoxMurderer

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 21, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
In a nutshell what I am saying is what baits do YOU use? Why?

If you have a Facebook page talk about them on there. Why you like them better than anything else out there. If you have a Twitter account, same thing. Show Pictures or You Tube videos of catches on those lures, preferably with the lure still in the fish's mouth. Give a little detail as to why you think that particular bait worked when similar baits wouldn't. If you fish a tournament post pictures or video.

See where I'm going here? Believe in a product first. Then share with people why you believe in that product versus a similar one from another company. And SHOW them them that it works for you through your pictures and videos.

If someone asks you a question about the product have as much info. about it as you can and be ready to answer their questions. But stay honest. If you don't know the answer say, I'm not sure about that but I can find out for you, then follow through.

Do these things and after a while you will have something to put on a resume to show to that company. In today's digital world social media is a very powerful tool for promotion - both of a product you use because you believe in it and in promoting yourself. Most companies are going to want the URLs to all of your social media accounts so they can see if what you are telling them matches up with real world experience.
Okay, yeha I'm basically been hoping for baits to get and get turned down by someone just like you... I need to get out there, fish it hard, with their and show how much they owe me;D

FoxMurderer

That came out wrong, I ment to say I should keep fishing and not worry about sponsors and keep getting into that sort of business and like used your business as an example not like you specifically. Sorry smallie

Smallie_Stalker

No harm no foul. We've all been there. Appreciate the apology though. Not many kids your age have the fortitude to do something like that.  ~c~

FoxMurderer

Thanks smallie for understanding. Your one of my favorite tapatalk users lol! Thanks bud!:)

CraigP83

Clear your inbox out. How'd your derby go?

FoxMurderer

Craig, I cleared it. I was grounded from fishing. lol have more coming up. Sorry!