RT 178 Length with yamaha 75?

Started by Tongue-Punch, May 28, 2017, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tongue-Punch

Looking into buying a new boat. I was wondering if someone here knows the length of the RT 178 for just the boat with a yamaha 75? and if possible, the length with the motor trimmed down and turned.

I would like to keep the boat in the garage and I'm limited on length. The boat is listed at 17' 8" and I found a yamaha spec sheet that list the length of the 75 to be 25.6" from the transom mount to the rear of the cowl with the motor trimmed all the way down and 22.6 to the back of the lower unit. I'm thinking I might be able to gain (or loose actually) an in inch by trimming up just a hair. So just buy looking online I've estimated about 236" - 237.6". Of course this isn't taking into account the the transom is probably offset towards the inside of the boat and other things I may not be thinking about.

With just about anything I buy in the 17" class is going to require me modifying or getting a custom trailer and/or knocking a whole in the wall. I'm not too concerned about that, just trying to figure out how much room I'm going to need to make for this boat.

And before anyone asks, yes I looked up the total package length on the Ranger site, but I'm not concerned about the length with the trailer... Just the boat its self with a yamaha 75.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

coldfront

great question.  I had same when I bought mine.  (178 with 75 Optimax) and there's no real data out there to directly get to what you ask.

let me measure my garage... I can tell you it's very tight, even with the swing away tongue, engine trimmed down and turned

think my garage is either 20.5 or 21.0 feet deep

Just barely fits.

how deep is your garage?

Tongue-Punch

From the back wall to the garage door is 238.5". From the pictures I've seen of the trailer, I think I can modify it to where it swings from under the boat instead of a foot or so in front of it. The trailer is a pretty poor setup for people trying to get every inch of clearance for storage lol

coldfront

for me the challenge revolves around the cavitation plate... that and the fact that no one drives those old 1970 vehicles that were way longer than today's compacts.

they just don't build garages to fit cars AND still have room for a workbench, etc.

PMAND1970

@ coldfront did you ever get exact measurement of your garage?

coldfront

Quote from: PMAND1970 on July 11, 2017, 02:31:48 PM
@ coldfront did you ever get exact measurement of your garage?

thanks for the reminder.  21' 5".  257 inches

with motor down, turned, break away tongue... it just barely fits.

PMAND1970

thanks, bout the same size as mine and I plan on cramming one in there hopefully in a year or two.

coldfront

couple of things to consider:
1. not sure 'end to end' 'on the trailer' there's much difference between the 178, 188 and 198.
2.  the 178 sits back on the end of the trailer...

glad to see someone else 'keeps their toys' inside.

PMAND1970

I have to get 60 HP will that motor be little smaller than 75hp you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: PMAND1970 on July 11, 2017, 08:15:42 PM
I have to get 60 HP will that motor be little smaller than 75hp you think?

not sure.

PMAND1970

Quote from: coldfront on July 11, 2017, 09:14:21 PM
not sure.
Now that your here do you have an approximate tow weight of your boat loaded for fishing?

coldfront

Quote from: PMAND1970 on July 12, 2017, 02:38:43 PM
Now that your here do you have an approximate tow weight of your boat loaded for fishing?

Tundra with a v8 and 11000 lb tow capacity means I don't even think about it.
My guess is around 2000 pounds fully loaded, gassed.'

tongue weight is probably around 300 pounds.  but that's a guess from lifting it onto the hitch.   ~bb

PMAND1970

Quote from: coldfront on July 12, 2017, 07:21:33 PM
Tundra with a v8 and 11000 lb tow capacity means I don't even think about it.
My guess is around 2000 pounds fully loaded, gassed.'

tongue weight is probably around 300 pounds.  but that's a guess from lifting it onto the hitch.   ~bb
Wife gets tow vehicle I get boat...Need to find a Suv she can handle during week and me on weekends...

PMAND1970

Quote from: PMAND1970 on July 12, 2017, 09:04:33 PM
Wife gets tow vehicle I get boat...Need to find a Suv she can handle during week and me on weekends...

Smaller the better

coldfront

you should be able to tow this with a mini van.

any 6 cylinder or better truck should handle.  minivans with tow package as well

depending on what your towing is like, hills, length, etc.