Lake St. Clair Bass Fishing League 15 July 17

Started by Mike Cork, July 17, 2017, 03:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

ONTARIO'S HODGINS WINS T-H MARINE FLW BASS FISHING LEAGUE MICHIGAN DIVISION EVENT ON LAKE ST. CLAIR
Texas' Cosculluela Takes Co-angler Title
HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (July 17, 2017) – Erick Hodgins of Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada, caught five bass weighing 23 pounds, 11 ounces, Saturday to win the T-H Marine FLW Bass Fishing League (BFL) Michigan Division tournament on Lake St. Clair. Hodgins earned $4,342 for his efforts.
Hodgins said he spent the tournament targeting bass on the Canadian side of the border. He said his two key areas were weed beds in 18 to 20 feet of water.
"I went to my best area first, but went two hours without a bite," said Hodgins, who was fishing in his first career BFL tournament. "I moved to my second spot and was able to put together my first limit. I had about 19 pounds there, but I still wanted to get back to the first area. I knew that's where the bigger fish would be."
Hodgins said once weather conditions improved, he returned to his first area and culled most of his limit.
"The sun came out and there was just a little ripple on top of the water, which was perfect," said Hodgins. "I took advantage of my (Minn Kota) Ultrex's spot-lock feature and picked the weed bed apart."
Hodgins said he primarily used green pumpkin- or watermelon-colored tubes by Mike's Rx Baits and Xtreme Bass Tackle. He also threw a Baby Bass-colored Yamamoto Shad Shape Worm on a drop-shot rig.
"I used a really long fluorocarbon leader which I think works well for clear water," said Hodgins. "I think that's what made the difference for me. It was a good day out there, that's for sure."
The top 10 boaters finished the tournament in:
               1st:          Erick Hodgins, Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada, five bass, 23-11, $4,342
               2nd:         Michael Rhodes, Paw Paw, Mich., five bass, 22-1, $1,921
               3rd:          Jonathon Dewey, Port Huron, Mich., five bass, 21-12, $1,282
               4th:          Mark Modrak, China Township, Mich., five bass, 21-3, $996
               5th:          Brent Dunmyer, Weston, Ohio, five bass, 20-13, $768
               6th:          Kyle Greene, Ortonville, Mich., five bass, 20-12, $704
               7th:          Jesse Schwark, Athens, Mich., five bass, 20-8, $640
               8th:          John Lovin, Fayetteville, Ohio, five bass, 20-2, $576
               9th:          John Scalf, Goshen, Ohio, five bass, 20-0, $512
               10th:        Zach Maisch, Lima, Ohio, five bass, 19-13, $448
Complete results can be found at FLWFishing.com. 
Tim Gillies of Union City, Michigan, caught a 5-pound, 6-ounce bass – the heaviest of the event in the Boater Division – and earned the day's Boater Big Bass award of $510.
Hugh Cosculluela of The Woodlands, Texas, won the Co-angler Division and $1,921 Saturday after catching five bass weighing 22 pounds even.
The top 10 co-anglers were:
               1st:          Hugh Cosculluela, The Woodlands, Texas, five bass, 22-0, $1,921
               2nd:         Matt Vermilyea, Perrysburg, Ohio, five bass, 21-10, $960
               3rd:          Michelle Jalaba, Birmingham, Mich., five bass, 21-4, $741
               4th:          Josh Deyonker, Livonia, Mich., five bass, 20-12, $703
               5th:          Robert Busby, Fenton, Mich., five bass, 19-11, $384
               6th:          Daniel Holland, Beverly Hills, Mich., five bass, 19-2, $352
               7th:          Philip Borsa, Redford, Mich., five bass, 18-14, $320
               8th:          Curtis Hall II, Battle Creek, Mich., five bass, 18-5, $288
               9th:          Tate Compton, Hoopeston, Ill., five bass, 17-15, $256
               10th:        Mike Williams, Blanchester, Ohio, five bass, 17-13, $224
Deyonker caught the largest bass in the Co-angler Division – a fish weighing 6 pounds, 3 ounces – and earned the day's Co-angler Big Bass award of $255.
The top 45 boaters and co-anglers in the region based on point standings, along with the five winners in each qualifying event, will be entered in the Oct. 12-14 BFL Regional Championship on the Barren River in Scottsville, Kentucky. Boaters will compete for a top award of a Ranger Z518C with a 200-horsepower Evinrude outboard and $20,000, while co-anglers will fish for a new Ranger Z518C with a 200-horsepower Evinrude outboard.
The 2017 BFL is a 24-division circuit devoted to weekend anglers, with 128 tournaments throughout the season, five qualifying events in each division. The top 45 boaters and co-anglers from each division, along with the five winners of the qualifying events, will advance to one of six regional tournaments where they are competing to finish in the top six, which then qualifies them for one of the longest-running championships in all of competitive bass fishing – the BFL All-American. Top performers in the BFL can move up to the Costa FLW Series or even the FLW Tour.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service