What is it about boat speed that is so important

Started by Pacific NW Ron, August 22, 2017, 09:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygreenihc

I can only speak for myself and everyone is different.  But...

I understand the argument dealing with tournaments and it is true in most cases.  If you draw a good slot and get to leave at the beginning of the blast off,  then being fast could mean the difference in getting to where you have found fish first. 

All of that is true and valid,  however,  speaking solely of myself,  it is more than that.  I personally have a screw loose.  The speed and stability at high speed is the number one factor for me.  I cannot explain why and it is very silly for a 52 year old man,  but it is the truth.  No matter what boat I have and how fast it is,  I am always trying to make it faster.  Unfortunately,  my need for speed and the thickness of my wallet do not match.

Brad

Msn26753

I have to agree with Brad and upside down Brent..  I've got to have speed..  Testosterone  I guess,  because I fish then as soon as I crank the engine, I drop the hammer..  Got all the way...  Now I do respect other fishermen and do NOT run with past them,  or if I'm in a stumpy or an unknown area I run 10 to 15mph, but as soon as I hit open water,  it is on son...

coldfront

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 22, 2017, 10:06:22 AM
Both good answers! ~c~

More MPH means more time to fish.

Leisurely rides on the water can be relaxin' but, you can easily spend more time getting to and from a good spot than actually fishing it.

you can drive a fast boat slow... but can't drive a slow boat fast.

used to not be that big of a deal... but with limited time, and spots that can be 5 - 10 miles apart, it's not about the speed... it's about how long it takes to get there.

Sandman7925

I don't care about speed but I do want at least 40mph as the commute to off grid only accessible by boat camp is long.

I have no desire to do 100mph. Reason is there is a big difference in hitting a submerged object doing 20 as opposed to 80. Trust me on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Msn26753

I agree 100 percent..  I run a river alot and usually I run 30mph depending on how much debris is in it at the time..  But when I'm in a lake or an oxbow,  I usually run 40 to 50... If there's bikinis out then 60 is a must, but never any higher.. 

SteveTX

I like speed as much as anyone, my boat does 50 and to me that gets me where I want plenty fast. Sure if it would do 70 id love it for the few times I could air it out. But really I dont need it to do more than 50. 

coldfront

Quote from: Msn26753 on August 29, 2017, 07:39:00 PM
I agree 100 percent..  I run a river alot and usually I run 30mph depending on how much debris is in it at the time..  But when I'm in a lake or an oxbow,  I usually run 40 to 50... If there's bikinis out then 60 is a must, but never any higher..

I might suggest that 'bikini zone' would equal 'no wake zone'...   ;)

Princeton_Man

Quote from: coldfront on August 30, 2017, 05:34:47 AM

That was my thought too. Unless maybe you're afraid one might recognize you.  ~roflmao
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

FlatsNBay

For many cases, speed = more gas money. My boat tops out around 40. Plenty fast for me. I couldn't afford to pay the fuel bill blasting 70 mph all over the lake!

topdsm0138

I honestly don't know how fast my little vhull goes with this 9.9hp all I do know is I can't/won't take it over half throttle. Since the carb rebuild, it goes! Lol. Was reading online that Evenrudes's 90's 9.9hp were actually closer to 15hp but they just marketed it as 9.9 because of the boating laws in some states. I don't know if any of that holds true, but she goes.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Msn26753

Quote from: coldfront on August 30, 2017, 05:34:47 AM

Nah..  It's a win win situation...  If they sunbathing, a big nice wake  gets them wet..  If they are on a boat then wakes make them bounce...  Score... Lol

topdsm0138

Quote from: Msn26753 on August 30, 2017, 07:57:17 AM
Nah..  It's a win win situation...  If they sunbathing, a big nice wake  gets them wet..  If they are on a boat then wakes make them bounce...  Score... Lol
You sir, deserve a beer.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

SteveTX

-Shawn-

~c~ ~roflmao ~beer~ ~beer~

Oldfart9999

Then sir I would suggest 12 or n13 mph, larger wake!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 01, 2017, 05:00:34 AM
Then sir I would suggest 12 or n13 mph, larger wake!!
Rodney

plus a guy could always circle back to apologize... get a closer look at the situation.