Perch jerks

Started by Oldfart9999, September 22, 2017, 06:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

Perch fishing this time of year is big up here, excellent eating. On my home waters their are 2 pontoon boats that travel about 50 miles to moor their boats and run charters with up to 6 clients and a guaranteed limit, limit 50. Many of those fish are 6 or 7 inches but they count. You might be anchored on a spot but they decide they want to fish it they'll try to force you out and many give way. They don't fish the spots I do so I haven't had a run in with them but I think it's only a matter of time, they found their spots by chasing folks off areas they were on, I find mine with my electronics( downscan is nice), I know they carry binoculars and they've shown a shotgun so I'm just wondering when and what I'll do. They carry the shotgun for ducks and were just moving it out of the way, uh-huh.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 22, 2017, 06:28:53 AM
Perch fishing this time of year is big up here, excellent eating. On my home waters their are 2 pontoon boats that travel about 50 miles to moor their boats and run charters with up to 6 clients and a guaranteed limit, limit 50. Many of those fish are 6 or 7 inches but they count. You might be anchored on a spot but they decide they want to fish it they'll try to force you out and many give way. They don't fish the spots I do so I haven't had a run in with them but I think it's only a matter of time, they found their spots by chasing folks off areas they were on, I find mine with my electronics( downscan is nice), I know they carry binoculars and they've shown a shotgun so I'm just wondering when and what I'll do. They carry the shotgun for ducks and were just moving it out of the way, uh-huh.
Rodney

go pro and youtube CAN be your friend...

Stren_g

The way I see it, there ain't a fish out there worth a persons life. With that said, I'd for sure have video of it (go pro) and I'd raise a little cane as I left the spot. Cause as much commotion as i could.

Lipripper

perch taste good but no way would I pay someone to take me out and run another fisherman off their spots. ~xyz ~xyz And for sure I wouldn't pay to go out and catch and keep 6 to 7" fish.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cport

Quote from: Lipripper on September 22, 2017, 08:26:26 AM
perch taste good but no way would I pay someone to take me out and run another fisherman off their spots. ~xyz ~xyz And for sure I wouldn't pay to go out and catch and keep 6 to 7" fish.

I dunno, Lip, you seem to pay quite a bit to catch them dinks (ba-da-dum)  ~shade lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

Quote from: cport on September 22, 2017, 08:38:19 AM
I dunno, Lip, you seem to pay quite a bit to catch them dinks (ba-da-dum)  ~shade lo
What dinks..what's a dink  lo lo One mays dink is another mans monster.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on September 22, 2017, 08:42:16 AM
What dinks..what's a dink  lo lo One mays dink is another mans monster.  ;D

okay...  ;D

'...that's what SHE said...'   ;)

was also thinking the other side of this: IF I were an angler on that pontoon, who paid my guide for the trip...  I would not be appreciative of the guide behavior...

topdsm0138

Quote from: coldfront on September 22, 2017, 07:56:17 AM
go pro and youtube CAN be your friend...
Screw that, scuba gear and a hand drill with a 1/2 inch bit would be more suitable. (Use your imagination on what the drill is for.. ha ha!)

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Smallie_Stalker

Yeah I would carry a Go Pro and get their hull numbers then take the footage to the appropriate authorities. I do like topdsm0138's idea though..................... ~shade
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Wizard

If you're talking about yellow perch, I love their taste. We don't have them in Missouri but the bass love that color pattern. I've seen some pretty fat 7 inch perch. We have the same problem with crappie guides. If you build a brush pile in the spring, it has algae on it by August. As soon as the bait fish find the pile, the crappie move in and then the bass. You may have built it but if a some of the area guides find it they will fish it everyday. It's all about money. They guides in my part of the lake know me. If they come in on me, they might find I'm a terrible caster and continually snagging their clients lines. I used to keep cherry bombs in my boat. If you intrude on me and were an idiot, a cherry bomb near the spot will kill the fishing for both of us. If folks ask me if they can share a spot, I may do it if the spot is large enough.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Wizard on September 22, 2017, 06:55:20 PM
If you're talking about yellow perch, I love their taste. We don't have them in Missouri but the bass love that color pattern. I've seen some pretty fat 7 inch perch. We have the same problem with crappie guides. If you build a brush pile in the spring, it has algae on it by August. As soon as the bait fish find the pile, the crappie move in and then the bass. You may have built it but if a some of the area guides find it they will fish it everyday. It's all about money. They guides in my part of the lake know me. If they come in on me, they might find I'm a terrible caster and continually snagging their clients lines. I used to keep cherry bombs in my boat. If you intrude on me and were an idiot, a cherry bomb near the spot will kill the fishing for both of us. If folks ask me if they can share a spot, I may do it if the spot is large enough.
These guys don't ask. I won't move, funny thing is, if somebody ignores them they stop about 40 feet away and drop anchor, none of their clients will cast toward you but the bullying crap needs to stop. The DEC is busy doing something else and we don't see the Sheriff very often. I don't own a G&O PRO.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Captsteve

I carry

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 23, 2017, 04:22:15 AM
These guys don't ask. I won't move, funny thing is, if somebody ignores them they stop about 40 feet away and drop anchor, none of their clients will cast toward you but the bullying crap needs to stop. The DEC is busy doing something else and we don't see the Sheriff very often. I don't own a G&O PRO.
Rodney

Do you have a phone with video capability or even just a camera? Even if all you can do is snap a few pics it might help if the content is right and double if you can get the hull numbers in there too.  :-*

A PITA for sure but if it works they may lose their license to guide (if they even have one) and you may never have to deal with them again.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire