Last cast fish

Started by Pacific NW Ron, October 24, 2017, 06:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

Launched at about 8:30am with a clear sky and 41 degree temps.  Slight wind from the South East which died down around 10am.   Water temp ran between 53 and 55.  About 3' of visibility. 
We fished pads that are left, lay downs, docks, old dock pilings and drop offs in open water.  Threw swim baits,  jigs and Texas rig worms and nothing.   Around 1pm we decided this wasn't going to produce any fish for us today  so we gave it up.  As we're idling back to the ramp I was putting my rods away.  About 15 or 20 yards from the launch was a small group of stick ups.  I decided to flip my jig in there before I put it away.  It hit the water and immediately took off to the right.  I landed it and my partner threw his right back in there and bam he had one on.  It jumped and threw the hook.  Not as big as mine but probably around three pounds.
I went to weigh mine and my batteries in the scale were dead.  The only thing I had to estimate the length was the lid on the live well.  The lid is 36" so I assume the handle is in the center making it about 18" from center to end of lid.  That would make this about a 20" fish.  I'm guessing just around 5lbs.
We thought maybe we figured out a pattern and the bite was on.  Wrong.  We fishing another hour or so throwing at every little stick up but nothing.  Call it a fluke that saved me from a skunk.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

Thaqnks for the report Ron and that's a nice looking fish.  ~c~ ~c~ I know you were glad when you landed that one. lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Yes sir.  The pressure was on ~sweat
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Mike Cork

What a chunk! If I'm only going to catch one, I'll take that one every time  ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service