DECEMBER FLBR BS Room

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 30, 2017, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rchiuz

Question for anyone that ties leaders to braid line. Where do you want the knot connection to stop on the rod? Should it never go into the spool?

Asking because I had a lure pop off at the line connection today. Trying to safe guard myself from that happening again. I lost some braid too because it birdnested and I was frustrated and started cutting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rchiuz on December 28, 2017, 04:03:58 PM
Question for anyone that ties leaders to braid line. Where do you want the knot connection to stop on the rod? Should it never go into the spool?

Asking because I had a lure pop off at the line connection today. Trying to safe guard myself from that happening again. I lost some braid too because it birdnested and I was frustrated and started cutting

Your leader was too long Roberto. Whenever I  throw a leader mine are usually 2 arm lengths. That way it will never reach the spool.

rchiuz

Thanks! That's probably why it failed on me

What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

SFL BassHunter

Just get rid of the leader. Lol.
Go straight mono on one of your rods and if you are going somewhere you need mono use it.
That's why I have so many rods and reels. This is what I tell myself at least

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

rchiuz

Quote from: rickdelprado on December 28, 2017, 04:35:08 PM
Just get rid of the leader. Lol.
Go straight mono on one of your rods and if you are going somewhere you need mono use it.
That's why I have so many rods and reels. This is what I tell myself at least

Lol, I am trying to stay away from the bait monkey . Bad enough I have to replace the lure I lost by buying 2 more lol

West6550

Just one more, that's all. Come on.. one more rod and reel, and some mono, maybe a few new baits, hooks of course don't want to run out of those, then frogs I mean those are always good, oh and some uvibes, maybe a frog rod, and a high speed reel, speaking of high speed reels.. buy 2 so you have one for flippin. Then you just need a flippin stick. That is how it happens.. lol

BarryFL

Quote from: rchiuz on December 28, 2017, 04:03:58 PM

I use a leader on my fluke rod and the rule of thumb is make the flouro or mono leader the length from the tip of your rod to the first guide from the reel. On a 7ft rod that will be about a 5.5ft leader. You don't want the knot to ever get between the reel and first guide. If you don't know the Alberto knot, learn it. Simple and I've never had one break when tying a flouro leader to braid. It is small and doesn't affect casting.
~Barry~

SFL BassHunter

The bait monkey can't be stopped. You'll give in sooner or later.

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: rickdelprado on December 29, 2017, 05:29:54 AM
The bait monkey can't be stopped. You'll give in sooner or later.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: TR21PDCTampa on December 27, 2017, 04:07:34 PM
This guy on the river was 2/3rds as long as my boat.

-Barry-
I've gotten to the point where I'm just resigned to the fact I'm probably going to lose a body part while fishing eventually. I've encountered them non-stop all summer long, starting Mother's Day. Seen 'em nearly every day I've gone fishing, and had far too many get way too close for comfort.
I've gotten to where my scare factor depends on size.
"Meh, that one's just big enough to sting. Shoo! Shoo, ya big lizard!" *throw sticks*
"Oop, that one could take a leg or foot. Better give it some space."
"Yeah, I'm just a snack for that one. I'm out."

Then, just once so far, thankfully...
Sighed, thought about my family, and looked a legit dinosaur in the eye and just hoped to die quick.
It was just too close, I was so well within striking range I coulda poked it with my rod without even fully extending my arm, and it looked big enough to swallow me whole.

They scare the hell outta me. They're quiet, patient, can strike from underwater, and I fish from the bank.
Also, they're curious, especially the smaller ones. So if you're making some noise, they're very likely to come check you out. That's exactly what put at least two of them too close for comfort.

cport

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

BarryFL

I am the king of 12oz curls.

-Barry-

~Barry~

BarryFL

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on December 29, 2017, 09:52:47 AM
I've gotten to the point where I'm just resigned to the fact I'm probably going to lose a body part while fishing eventually. I've encountered them non-stop all summer long, starting Mother's Day. Seen 'em nearly every day I've gone fishing, and had far too many get way too close for comfort.
I've gotten to where my scare factor depends on size.
"Meh, that one's just big enough to sting. Shoo! Shoo, ya big lizard!" *throw sticks*
"Oop, that one could take a leg or foot. Better give it some space."
"Yeah, I'm just a snack for that one. I'm out."

Then, just once so far, thankfully...
Sighed, thought about my family, and looked a legit dinosaur in the eye and just hoped to die quick.
It was just too close, I was so well within striking range I coulda poked it with my rod without even fully extending my arm, and it looked big enough to swallow me whole.

They scare the hell outta me. They're quiet, patient, can strike from underwater, and I fish from the bank.
Also, they're curious, especially the smaller ones. So if you're making some noise, they're very likely to come check you out. That's exactly what put at least two of them too close for comfort.
You can catch them, too. Lost a brand new booyah to this little one. Hit it like a bass out of the slop. 

-Barry-

~Barry~

SFL BassHunter

Thats some good looking slop!

Florida Bass Fishing

BarryFL

No bass that day. Only gators.

-Barry-

~Barry~

SteelHorseCowboy

We've thrown out bobbers with no hooks and teased the babies with them.

Capt. BassinLou

Heading out to Lake O tomorrow a.m. let's see if I  can coax some fat girls to play. Lol!!

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 29, 2017, 05:13:24 PM
Heading out to Lake O tomorrow a.m. let's see if I  can coax some fat girls to play. Lol!!
GFood luck Lou and may you find some Big Girls who want to get their  ;PHO) taken.
erry to bad you lost your new booyah to that little one. They would be fun to fight maybe put on a wire leader and have at it.   lo

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks Lip!!
All big baits will be making an appearance tomorrow. Here's one:

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 29, 2017, 05:25:07 PM
Thanks Lip!!

:shocking: That is a big Bait you going to be throwing to beds or just throwing it trying to find some spawning Bass?

Capt. BassinLou

I'm not a bed hunter Lip, but I will be going into some skinny stuff tomorrow, and they may be there. I won't know because it's full of vegetation.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 29, 2017, 05:34:41 PM
I'm not a bed hunter Lip, but I will be going into some skinny stuff tomorrow, and they may be there. I won't know because it's full of vegetation.
I don't go looking for them but if I find one with a big Bass on it I might be tempted to try and get it to bite. If I caught it I would  take a quick  ;PHO) measure her and put her right back.

West6550

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 29, 2017, 05:25:07 PM
Thanks Lip!!

Good idea Lou, also toss a wrap or two of wire around that skirt and it will stay up longer. Walmart and craft stores have thin wire that works perfect for it.

Good luck!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: West6550 on December 29, 2017, 06:49:18 PM
Good idea Lou, also toss a wrap or two of wire around that skirt and it will stay up longer. Walmart and craft stores have thin wire that works perfect for it.

Good luck!
Thanks West, That's a good idea, I actually have thin wire that I bought when I considered making swim jigs for a brief stint.

Deadeye

Good Luck Lou, it's still cold up here by Florida Standards.

Those Gators can give you the chills when you find yourself suddenly right up on them. Walking a bank I always have a friend along for help "just in case". Never know what you might run into or how many legs it might have.