So, you've bought a carry weapon

Started by Wizard, January 11, 2018, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun4me

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 14, 2018, 12:29:42 PM
You couldn't say, looking forward to your next write up without making a statement again. That's why you were scolded. I'll say it again, move on.

Ok, but I don't know what I did that was so wrong.

Mike Cork

Quote from: Fun4me on January 14, 2018, 12:56:25 PM
Ok, but I don't know what I did that was so wrong.

Your brow beating Wizard with your opinion. Stating your opinion is what UB is about not trying to change others. Enough said. If you have questions or concerns PM me.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteelHorseCowboy

I don't advocate removing sights either, to beat a dead horse.
For one, point shooting takes far more practice than most people are willing, or can afford, to perform.
2, average thugs aren't trained by SEALs, Force Recon, Intel groups, or pretty much anything/anyone beyond a video game. Thugs (which is who average Joe will be encountering), operate by inciting fear, will be waving their gun around, and will most likely be affected by tunnel vision.
Bob Munden left his sights alone, as well as Jerry Miculek. Different type of shooting, and specialized holsters, yes; but if they can achieve their speeds and accuracies with practice, so can the average man achieve great speed and accuracy under different variables.
I've never snagged my sights. Even the big target sights on my 44 while clearing a homemade holster.
Unless you fill the sight slots, you're just creating a different snag point (assuming you're removing sights from a slotted slide).
Depending on exactly what gun it is, altering the weight of the slide on some semi-autos can affect their reliability, even by just the mere grams that sights weigh. First aftermarket installation I ever did, I didn't stake the front sight properly, it flew off, and malfunctions ensued. Thankfully it was my own gun.

Lee Smith

All of my personal protection firearms are sightless, i was trained that way and it works for me.  I was asked to hold a class for the local Leo's at one time and we all got into the same discussion, it's not about the pointing and shooting, it's about the brain, your trust in your eyes.  When you have sights, you will naturally take that split second to look down the barrel and line up, that's what they are there for, it will happen overtime you aim, that split second can be the difference between shooting and being shot.

Some can't do it, they can't ever get passed the idea that they aren't lined up, but most can, and as I have proved to many through the years, it doesn't take much practice, the key is to keep the target away when you first start and then work the target closer to you as you learn.  Believe it or not, the closer it is, the harder it is with handguns. 

Many of the best out there, leave the sights, but don't use them, they are the true masters of shooting, they have practiced and practiced over and over, they don't need the sights, they know where there shot will land.

If you are in a TRUE life or death situation, that split second could decide which end of the stick you are on, , , ,
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

D.W. Verts

If you're shooting a pistol properly, and are training yourself in DEFENSE tactics, then the sight removal idea is very practical. DEFENSE generally means close range... I'll guarantee that with enough practice that most folks can shoot a pistol in the DARK (of course meaning no "visible sights", and at 25' a man-size target will be in trouble. With Wizard's way of thinking, having to depend on sights (not to mention the mechanical aspect of the hanging them up on clothing, holster, etc.) is a bad thing. I understand what he's getting at.

I've shot traditional archery for years, without any sights of any kind. It's called "instinctive" shooting. It's the same as with a pistol. I've had the argument for years with all kinds of folks that say I'm "aiming" somehow. My answer was to put a lit candle downrange, and turn off the lights. I mean flat DARK. It was a rare event when I didn't get close enough to the candle with my arrow to move the flame, and as often as not I could clean the candle off the chair it was sitting on.

Muscle memory. Practice, practice, practice. The same principles hold true for many things we do, including fishin'.

The most natural shot I've ever met could shoot trap, skeet and hunted birds from the "down gun" position. He was wicked with a pistol and a rifle too (sometimes he'd shoot hundreds of rounds a day thru a BB gun just to stay sharp). He could throw strikes while bowling in the dark, too. It was pretty far out to hear the strike when you couldn't see the pins!

And you didn't want to see him at any contest that involved throwing stuff. Horseshoes, bean bags, or the dunk tank at the County Fair. Someone was gonna get WET. Practice, practice, practice. If you think your butt may need defending someday and you're not PRACTICING, well, good luck.

Removing sights would be a hard thing for folks to do. But Wizards' philosophy, and when your ass is on the line (and he knows something about that) is very, very sound. In my opinion.

And finally (sorry Wizard for the hi-jack), you take what you can from any article on any subject. We learn from others. Reap what you can, discard the rest, and try to improve yourself in everything you do. That's MY philosophy. Thank goodness I don't live in or around a big city like Wiz though. I don't need that much excitement.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

While I never owned a pistol I can tell you the same thing holds true for shotgun. I shot trap for 2 years for the Colorado School of Trades Trap Team, carried high over all average both years in the league we shot in. I was the odd man out, I didn't have a "trap" gun, I used an Ithaca 37 raised rib with a stock I made, had all the goodies though, adjustable butt pad, flat trigger shoe but it had only 1 bead on the rib, It took practice but I learned to not use the bead(the sight on a scatter gun). The gun was made to fit me, every time it came to my shoulder it was lined up with my eyes, both of them. I learned how to breath and how to pull a trigger instead of jerk it and how to follow through. I WAS NOT USING THE SIGHT. Through practice, 500 to 750 rounds a week, I became consistent and could tell you what happened when I missed, I made an easy transition to shooting doubles, I was fast fast on the trigger and efficient with my "aim". For hard angle birds in singles I didn't worry about the sight, the gun and I moved as unit. Practice, practice, practice.
Rodney
PS Did I mention practice?
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteelHorseCowboy

How bout "that one gun" that you never have to practice with?
Mine was a Dickson Falcon 12 gauge side by side.
Never missed a clay shooting backyard skeet, shot several almost perfect rounds in trap.
I did use the "sight" though, a teeny tiny gold bead up front.
If a bird was in range, it was good as dead. Had to sell it to get me through my divorce.

merc1997

Quote from: Wizard on January 13, 2018, 09:26:08 AM
There are reasons not to use sights. I'm planning one or two more posts on shooting tips. You can shoot and hit a man sized target at 50 yards without sights,
a great example of what you are saying are the old military 45's with fixed sights.  i have never had one in my hand that the sights were even close.  i did much better just as you have noted and that is to just look down the barrel.  great info for those that want to learn how to use a hand gun.  thanks for sharing.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Wizard

bo, I carried 1911s when I was working and carry a compact 1911 today. With the military 1911 in Nam, you couldn't hit a water buffalo in the butt at 30 ft using the sights.

Wizard

merc1997

Quote from: Wizard on January 16, 2018, 12:01:43 PM
bo, I carried 1911s when I was working and carry a compact 1911 today. With the military 1911 in Nam, you couldn't hit a water buffalo in the butt at 30 ft using the sights.

Wizard
exactly!!!

bo
On Heaven's Lake