Dobyns Fury Series Rod for Bank Fishing

Started by TX BankAngler, January 19, 2018, 01:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TX BankAngler

I am a bank bass fisherman who needs suggestions for a bait casting rod in the Dobyns Fury Series. I will be throwing 1/4 to 3/8 oz. crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, chatterbaits and possibly a Whopper Plopper 90. I read an article by Mike Cork that suggested using a Fury 733c for lighter presentations when bank fishing. Or is a Fury 705cb or another rod a better option?

Bud Kennedy

I would think the 705CB is a good fit or the application you describe.  Especially for the cranks and topwater selections.  I do have a 705CB and use it for the application you describe but I tend not to use it on lighter presentations.  So I guess it depends upon what you believe will be your predominant presentation.  Otherwise the 733 is a great recommendation for the lighter stuff.  If you are fishing around a lot of cover such as weeds or wood then I would recommend heavier than lighter

Mike Cork

I would recommend the 733 for general fishing of lighter options. I wrote the article based on not being able to a bunch of rods with you. That said...

I'm with Bud, I think if you have it narrowed down that well, the 705 CB is definitely a solid choice for those baits. It may not be the best if you tried to cast a 110 whopper plopper but should handle the 90 almost perfectly. I've come to realize that the CB models are outstanding for vibrating jigs. And of course are specifically designed for cranks.

So, yes it would be a better choice in your case :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

JDV

Both of these are great suggestions.  We've got a pair of Fury 705cb rods between my wife and I, that fish crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, jerkbaits, treble hook baits like the Whopper Plopper 90, etc... in the 1/4-5/8oz range very well.  I've not fished any single hook lures like chatterbaits on it yet though, but all told it's probably landed about 24/25 fish that I've hooked and does a great job of keeping fish pinned on those small treble hooks.

I've got a Champion 703, which is the same power as the 733, but probably a hair faster than the 733 in the Fury line, and it is a great all purpose rod for stuff in the 1/4-5/8oz range as well, I'd say, however it's going to have a faster tip and wouldn't be quite as ideal for those treble hook lures, but I suspect it'd do a pretty decent job.  The 733, I believe is a touch more forgiving I believe so that'd be in your favor for your intended uses.  If I only want to mess with bringing 1 rod to the pond and won't be throwing heavy lures, the 703/733 is probably it, but if you're mainly throwing treble hook baits, the 705cb would get my vote.  Both are versatile, fun rods.