Spinning rod for jerk baits

Started by bernerbass99, January 12, 2018, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bernerbass99

I want to get a rod for jerk baits , I have not been a jerk bait fishermen in many years. I live in the north and like my self most people in the north grew up fishing spinning rods. When I was a kid jerk baits were my primary technique but I just grew away from it . I'm not sure if I want to go with spinning or casting but if I decide to go casting I will go with the Champion 704cb but I'm not sure what spinning rod to go with. I do have the Champion 763SF I the action seems perfect but a little long for jerk baits. How does the Champion 703SF compair to the action of the 763SF. The wind can really blow where I fish so again not sure if I want to go Spinning or Casting

bhodge

Champion 683SF is awesome for spinning and I use the 704CB in bait casting  Will be using both tomorrow

high of 76  Yeah baby

Gary Dobyns

I'm a strong believer in casting rods for jerk baits. I did start with spinning forever ago like everyone else. Spinning reels and jerk baits can be a pain in the butt. I like to jerk and pause with a little slack in the line on the pause. I end up with loops and line spitting off the front of the spool. I can certainly remember when I made myself use casting gear the first few times. It felt very awkward as I spin fish holding rod in my right hand and casting in my left. But, once I got used to it I just can't see throwing jerk bait on spinning unless super, super light bait.

To answer question on which spinning I'd go with a 2 power myself. THX!!!