Vegetation Contemplation

Started by SFL BassHunter, January 18, 2018, 09:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: cport on January 18, 2018, 02:48:07 PM
So, is it the rod that aids in the walking? Or does the frog have a lot to do with it? I have yet to master the technique, I can only get it to do it every once in awhile

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I don't want to take away from this great thread but I want to answer Chris quickly. If you can walk a fluke or spook, you can walk a frog. You may have to adjust the technique a bit here and there when frogging, but you have the foundation down. Yes, some frogs walk better than others and the rod you use does play an important role.

cport

Quote from: Bassinlou on January 19, 2018, 08:10:53 AM
I don't want to take away from this great thread but I want to answer Chris quickly. If you can walk a fluke or spook, you can walk a frog. You may have to adjust the technique a bit here and there when frogging, but you have the foundation down. Yes, some frogs walk better than others and the rod you use does play an important role.
Thanks Lou

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Deadeye

Quote from: analfisherman on January 18, 2018, 10:14:27 PM
Deadeye, I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the Florida board BUT I truly like the knowledge you have shared with me.

You had another Great post there too.
I believe it was right before this one.

I admire how you have a plan....and then a back up....then a back...etc.
I like how you realize the use of DIFFERENT lures and presentations based on what you are faced with!!!

In other words....
I LIKE YOUR SHARE!!!!!!!  ~c~

Now even though we fish different waters in vastly different areas....I can adapt the knowledge you've shared and tweak it to similar features in my waters!!!!

Again, THANK YOU!

Thank You. I try to help others by sharing what I have learned through trial & error OR what others have taught to me.

I think this might be the other post you mentioned:

I wanted to add an additional comment dealing with fishing these areas.

As I stated up here MOST of the lakes and the SJR has Stem Pads growing along the edges. Not in small clumps but for the entire length of the body of water. Last time fishing Kissimmee I was fishing the Pad Lines, as it is something I am very comfortable doing, since that is the Main Vegetation I have to fish. My Co-Angler that day made a comment about how he never had any luck fishing this way and in fact he never fishes that way.

I had a limit and was culling and he had yet to boat a fish.

I adapted to ways he was more comfortable with and he ended up catching 3 before the day ended. I also culled some more fishing that style.

The point of that story is that we can and do become conditioned by what we know and how we fish vegetation. I had to learn how to fish Pad Lines as that was what was available to me to fish and that is what was available to the Fish. Yet others have learned to fish the vegetation that is available to them. Reaching out beyond our comfort zones and fishing different bodies of water that offer a complete different way to fish helps us to grow as anglers.

I'm currently learning a new body of water that offers miles of Kissimmee Grasses along it's edges. Whole new way to fish that the Stem Pad Lines I am more used to fishing.

Deadeye

Another add on.

My Co-Angler that day on Kissimmee suggested we try close to the bank where a Cow Pasture was located. His reason why? Due to the recent rain he thought that the fish might be close to that area to feed on the crawfish and worms that got washed down into the water from the pasture.

He was correct, and we did get into fish there with both of us catching fish.

It was something I would not of considered and learned something new that day.

Mike Cork

Hydrilla first, Milfoil/Coontial second.

I scan it with a frog to find where the bass are setting up then switch to punching and get after it. My personal best and dozens of bass over 8 pounds have come punching these two grasses.

Funny thing, I don't like fishing pads unless it's the only vegetation available or it's winter and the stems are the only vegetation available. I know giants like to feed around them, but it's never been my go too.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Great stuff being shared here.   

For me fishing here (Belton, TX) its laydowns along the gravel / boulder bank line first.  Second would be the coves with a mix of laydowns and standing timber with submerged boulders on a gravel bank. 

We don't have any pads on Belton or Stillhouse lake.  Stillhouse does have Hydrilla in and its a community hole area.  You have to take a number some days.

Belton and Stillhouse are Highland Reservoirs.

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard