New Top of the Line Dobyns Rod

Started by Mike Cork, February 14, 2018, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Okay this is your chance to give your input and influence the rods that Gary carries. Gary will be introducing this rod this summer and needs our help now. Keep in mind this rod will be the best of the best, super light, super strong, best guides that you can get, and the best cork available for the handles. Every inch of these rods will be the best. These are the models he is looking at. But he wants your input to help him make the final cuts.

So if you were going to drop big money on a rod, which model would you want most. You get to pick three.

Even if you know you'd never drop the kind of money needed to build this rod, Gary wants our input too. Some of the best input is from guys like us that have to really save and budget, we know exactly what sizes and actions we want because we can't afford a mistake.

I'm going to talk Gary out of a Sierra Series to give away in a drawing, he just doesn't know it yet ~shade To enter the drawing you have to vote.

So make your picks, and post to this thread whether you would or wouldn't buy a top of the line rod. I don't need to know why or why not, just whether you would.

You must post your desire to buy a high end rod to this thread so I know you voted. I don't have a close date for this yet, I'll pick a winner from a random draw of post numbers. Disclaimer, all rules subject to change by me ~bb I've done this on the fly. The rod is guaranteed by me.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Gary Dobyns

Thanks Mike. I appreciate all the guys on this site and I really look forward to the feedback.

JDV

My votes: 
723c
724c
723sf

I'd definitely be interested.   I know I'm in the minority but I actually prefer rods in the 6'9-7'0 range typically with a few exceptions as long as 7'3, being a bank and kayak fisherman working under brush or confined spaces often.

Congrats and looking forward to the new line!

twocold

Mike Cork

Gary told me that the 7' 2" models would be more popular but I told him this pole would prove him wrong.... Looks like I might eat my words in early samples continue :shocking:

Cork's Reel Service

Down4ttown

My votes:

723- VMC rugby jig (my shakey head)

754- all around Jig rod and light flipping (up to 1/2 oz)

755- football head jig rod

Would honestly love a 722 to throw my Ned or wacky worm on a casting rod. Maybe down the road......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

So you didn't like any of the 9 rods listed :-\

Interesting :-* You're entered but unfortunately he has them narrowed to these models.

Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

I went with the 724C as the most likely choice for my conditions.  Not sure I would buy this high end rod unless it got some fantastic reviews that made it a must have. 

Down4ttown

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 14, 2018, 03:25:14 PM
So you didn't like any of the 9 rods listed :-\

Interesting :-* You're entered but unfortunately he has them narrowed to these models.
I'm updating it now Mike.

Kris

I know there are many of my Friends at both ends of this question. Personally, I find the 7' 6" rods to feel cumbersome to me in my boat. Most everything I own is close to or just over 7'. I am actually taking two 7' 6" rods I have to the flea market to replace with other rods.
I can remember when most of the "better" rods were 6' 6" or less. My Gator was the first 7' that I ever owned back in the early 90s. For some reason it never seemed too long, too heavy or cumbersome but for some reason the 7 1/2 footers do. I know there are people who want rods of 8 foot and above but I don't think you will ever see me with one.
Of course, remember, I'm Ol' Skool.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Mike Cork

I meant to add this to the first post but here is where Gary talked about this rod and these models that he's already playing with

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=140126.msg1550749#msg1550749

Down4ttown, leave your originals too, it's info Gary likes to know about the other lines  ;)

Cork's Reel Service

Down4ttown

Original request was based on current models:

702- Ned rig and Wacky Worm

743- VMC rugby head jig (my shakey head)

744- my favorite rod by Dobyns in the DX series for jigs and light flipping

Mike Cork

Kris, I remember those days too, however I'm the opposite and embraced the longer rods and absolutely love the casting and fish control I get with them. There was a time everything I owned was 6 foot even. Even had a 5' 6" "doodle stick" for fishing small worms in deep clear lakes out west.

Cork's Reel Service

Pacific NW Ron

Not sure my budget would allow me to purchase anything higher than a Champion, but be interesting to see what the price will be.  I went with the 723C, 755C and 752SF
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Down4ttown

I think the 7'4" is my favorite size rod currently, so I can really see the 7'5" series being a hot item.

I have 7'2" rods that I like but again I like the 7' 0" or longer rods.

Capt. BassinLou

Gary Dobyns

It's early but results are not what I thought I'd see but they make me happy. I'm very concerned about 7'2" stuff. Looks like I don't know as much as I thought :)  This is actually very good.

This is super interesting info for me so please kick all your buddies in the butt and get them to vote.

THX again.

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

cojab

I like rods in the 7' to 7'6" range, the 4 to 5 powers for most of my fishing, and as of now I dont think I would spend premium rod money for a spinning rod. So thats where my votes came from.
As for whether I would buy a premium rod, I dont know yet. It would depend on where the price and feel came in relation to a custom rod. Right now my budget is in the Champion range but who knows....

I do know that if I was going to buy a premium rod it would be a Dobyns. I'm that convinced about their product and the service before and after the sale.

edit;
Oh, and my choices were
724c
754c
755c
TTK has spoken.

Lipripper

As everyone know I know nothing about rods and that's why I don't make any post about them in the rod threads but let me do a little research and see what rods would fit my style of fishing. Frogs and senko. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

So far the 724 C and 755 C  are looking very popular.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

Depending upon price, I am thinking that a more premium rod infringes on the space traditionally occupied by custom rods.  Given my price choice if they were about the same price, I would most likely go custom from Lee Smith. 

Dink Dawg

My selections are all " FEEL " rods.  This is the position I took when purchasing my Extremes. The 752SF is the most appealing to me as I have an Extreme 742SF and plan on another.  It's the best dropshot rod I have ever used. The 724C and 755C will be the premier jig and plastics rods.  They should be insane.

SFL BassHunter

My picks:
724c
755c
723sf

I probably would not buy a top of the line rod. But never say never.
Though in all honesty a 724sf would be better for me than a 723sf.

As you can see I selected heavier power rods. I rarely fish anything less than a MH. The main reason for this that the force is strong with our Florida vegetation.
I have a Savvy 734c and it is the most versatile rod I own.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

OK after a pow wow with my Frog fishing buddy here are my picks
724 C
754 C
755 C
These would work for both my Frog and senko fishing.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet