helix 7 upgrade?

Started by multispecies1, April 05, 2018, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

multispecies1

When you guys install a new unit do you get power at the fuse block or do you extend you power cable to the battery box?
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 special edition

Princeton_Man

It's best to have a dedicated 16-18 gauge stranded power wire from either your main power buss or straight to the battery.

If you come off a position from a fuse that's dedicated to the unit, that should be fine. Not recommended to tap into a fuse being used for something else though.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

multispecies1

I do have an empty post on the block, And I could add a 3amp fuse there. Seems a simple way to go with the least chance of wiring issues in the future.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: multispecies1 on April 05, 2018, 08:13:53 PM
I do have an empty post on the block, And I could add a 3amp fuse there. Seems a simple way to go with the least chance of wiring issues in the future.

Yup, I'd go that route first. If you have power issues down the road, you can always change it.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

multispecies1

I had a lot of feed back on another site, so I have changed direction. Going to run a direct line to the cranking battery. Guys are telling of unit shut down when cranking up the outboard. I don't want that so I'm just going to run it direct. thanks for all the insight.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: multispecies1 on April 06, 2018, 08:02:56 AM
I had a lot of feed back on another site, so I have changed direction. Going to run a direct line to the cranking battery. Guys are telling of unit shut down when cranking up the outboard. I don't want that so I'm just going to run it direct. thanks for all the insight.

That will happen if the fuse block is on the ignition switch.

That can happen even when you have a direct line to the battery if when you crank the battery voltage drops below 11 or 11.2 volts.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

basss

I have 2 Helix 7s, both are wired direct to the battery ... with a fuse close to the battery.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

multispecies1

I connected at the fuse block because it was right there. I did have the issue of it shutting down when I cranked the motor so it is now ran directly to the cranking battery. Problem solved.

Goldstar225

Both of my helix 7's are connected to the fuse block.  No problems yet with shut down or interference.  If that develops I'll run a dedicated line direct to the battery.