Two Prehistoric fish in one day

Started by Mike Cork, April 18, 2018, 04:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

With his father's help, Zaniel Cole, 8, has done the unthinkable in Oklahoma. Not only did Zaniel snag a 100-pound paddlefish, but he also managed to snag a rare shovelnose sturgeon the very same day! Paddlefish and shovelnose sturgeon are distant cousins in the order Acipenseriformes and date to the time of the dinosaurs, which is why they are referred to as "prehistoric fishes."
Although they are the most abundant sturgeon in North America, shovelnose sturgeon numbers have declined over the past century and they are rare in Oklahoma. So, catching a shovelnose sturgeon the same day as a 100-pound paddlefish is a notable thrill.
Shovelnose sturgeon are not federally protected in Oklahoma, but they are listed as a Species of Special Concern in Category II. This means there is insufficient information to adequately evaluate the population status or species trend in Oklahoma. Harvest of shovelnose sturgeon is legal with a limit of one per day. However, any shovelnose sturgeon caught in the state is required to be reported to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. 
Zaniel and his father, Adam, released the shovelnose sturgeon and reported their catch to the Wildlife Department. Their story was shared on the Wildlife Department's Facebook page and has quickly become very popular.
Learn more about the shovelnose sturgeon in the upcoming May/June issue of Outdoor Oklahoma, the official Wildlife Department magazine.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Love to see the kids making headlines.  :toot:
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pacific NW Ron

Great story.  Love to see this kind of a story.  He has a memory that will stay with him the rest of his life.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

Thanks for the story Mike and that boy will never forget that day.  8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

There are two that will never make my list. Super cool Dad.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Those are some cool looking specimens!  ~c~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Captsteve

cool

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake