Claytor Lake Fishing Report 5/3/18

Started by Princeton_Man, May 03, 2018, 08:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Launched out of the state park at 0600. Surface temps started out 56-57, wind was calm, water was stained with visibility of maybe 2+ feet.  By 1300 the surface 60-61 on the points and a bit warmer in some of the coves. We marked a lot of fish in 8 to 20 feet of water but the bite was tough. Spinner bait and a finesse rigged Gulp minnow produced the best. Boated a walleye on a jerkbait. Wind gradually picked up to about 10-15mph before we left.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TheLastRodBender

Were getting closer.. gonna hit a shallow pond this weekend, should be primed after these 90 degree days.  Of course this front moving through won't help but hopefully not too much

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on May 03, 2018, 10:12:28 PM
Were getting closer.. gonna hit a shallow pond this weekend, should be primed after these 90 degree days.  Of course this front moving through won't help but hopefully not too much

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yup, we went straight from 65-70 days to low to mid 80's yesterday. Barometer started to drop slowly since midday Wednesday and I figured they'd be more active ahead that front, but the decline in pressure has been very gradual. Might not impact the bite much.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TheLastRodBender

full moon was last week too.. All the rain we had, water was milk, but it's been dry for almost a week now.  High temps, back end of a full moon, they're going to be bedding. 

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Jim and glad y'all caught some fish and how big was that walleye.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Lipripper on May 04, 2018, 09:27:10 AM
Thanks for the report Jim and glad y'all caught some fish and how big was that walleye.  ;D

17", we didn't weight it. There's some crazy slot limits on them. Feb 1 - May 31 Limit 2 no Walleye 19" -28", then June 1 - January 31 Limit 5 with none less than 20". :-\

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club