Braid Fade

Started by SteelHorseCowboy, December 01, 2017, 10:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: rickdelprado on December 11, 2017, 08:58:12 AM
No it isn't. Different braids fade at different usage levels. If you want to look at wear, look at the threads, if the line is fuzzy you may have some fray in your line.
I wouldn't worry about the fade.
Oh I do look for that. Just cut off about 3 feet yesterday that had some nicks and fuzz.
Quote from: Pferox on December 11, 2017, 09:38:20 AM
Back when I first moved to Baytown, a local guy here had a special on white PP.  He said that he bought a lot of it that wasn't colored right.  It was more like an off white to me.

I spooled one of my reels and my buddy's with it.  Man did it show up when it was new, after a few outings it started to absorb the water stain that is in the bayou.  It looked like a white wall that was in a smoker's room.  Worked OK though.  We caught a lot of fish on that line too.

Aren't some companies making white braid now?  I had white Nanofil, if I remember correctly.

Talking about fraying, I used 80lb Gator Line with about 10 yards of 100lb flouro leader on a shark rod back in Fl, after a couple of outings it looked like a caterpillar, never did break.  I finally replaced it because it looked so fuzzy.
Since I use much smaller diameter line than that (20-30#), I wouldn't expect mine to take much abuse after it starts to wear.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on December 11, 2017, 10:16:16 AM
Oh I do look for that. Just cut off about 3 feet yesterday that had some nicks and fuzz.Since I use much smaller diameter line than that (20-30#), I wouldn't expect mine to take much abuse after it starts to wear.

Yeah, 20-30lb braid is much less forgiving when its frayed. Doesn't take much for it to snap once you see a fray.

j102

Quote from: merc1997 on December 07, 2017, 11:11:32 AM
i am with you on the hi-vis yellow.  proved that fact to a fellow fishing with me on lake fork the other day.  and, i am sure that you fish some pretty clear water quite often.

bo

Was that straight braid or with a Fluorocarbon leader?
I have never used the hi-vis yellow, but my eyes are starting to ask for it.

bigjim5589

J102, I believe Bo does the same as I do, ties direct to the jig, no leaders at all. I still have some lo vis moss green braid on a few reels, but have come to prefer the hi vis colors because I can see it much better.

I see no difference as far as getting bites. IF, I start to see that I'm not getting many takes, I'll switch to a lighter line ( different rod & reel) , but I tie direct on all of them. I feel the lighter or heavier line may affect the fall rate some, especially on lighter weight jigs, but other than that, don't even give it any thought about the fish seeing it.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Bud Kennedy

You might want to see Bo's response in the post titled to mono or not to mono.  He has done a braid to mono comparison

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=139068.0

Pferox

Fireline used to make a hot pink line that was easy to see and got better as it faded.  Too bad they quit making that stuff.

I got some red braid now that is easy to see when tying knots but disappears to me the minute it leaves the rod tip.  The jury is still out as to whether this is a good thing or not.

Has anybody tried blue braid?  I was looking at a spool of it online and wondered how visible it would be.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

smokey bear

Quote from: SteveTX on December 03, 2017, 03:37:13 PM
$39.99 for a 150 yards is keeping me from being a test dummy.

People pay this for fluorocarbon, why not braid? 

SteveTX

Quote from: smokey bear on May 10, 2018, 08:45:11 PM
People pay this for fluorocarbon, why not braid?

I can get proven beyond a shadow of doubt Power Pro 150 yards all day every day as near as the local Walmart for under $13. What rational logical explanation would I use to convince myself to pay over three times the rate I am paying for a product I have to order and dont have any experience with.  :-\