Ohio River Bass Fishing League May 7, 2018

Started by Mike Cork, May 07, 2018, 02:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Ohio River Bass Fishing League May 7, 2018. Boater Bob Logan of Waynesfield, Ohio, caught five bass weighing 12 pounds, 4 ounces, Saturday to win the 2018 T-H Marine FLW Bass Fishing League (BFL) Buckeye Division opener on the Ohio River presented by Navionics. For his victory, Logan earned $6,000.
"I was fishing down by the dam, near Craig's Creek," said Logan, who earned his second career win in BFL competition. "During practice on Thursday and Friday I worked my way down the river and caught a bunch of little males that were setting up on the nests. I knew the females would be coming in, so that's where I concentrated my time during the tournament.
"I couldn't sight fish, because the water wasn't clean enough," Logan continued. "So, I would just make blind casts to those areas where I knew the beds were and the females were setting up. I managed to catch six keepers."
Five of Logan's keepers came on a Zoom Brush Hog, green-pumpkin with a chartreuse-dyed tip, Texas-rigged with a 3/16 ounce weight. His sixth keeper came on a black-and-blue-colored Reaction Innovation's Little Beaver, rigged the same as the Brush Hog.
The top 10 boaters finished the tournament in:
              1st:          Bob Logan, Waynesfield, Ohio, five bass, 12-4, $4,000 + $2,000 Ranger Cup
              2nd:         Michael Powell Jr., Greendale, Ind., five bass, 11-6, $2,200
              3rd:         Dick Shaffer, Rockford, Ohio, five bass, 10-13, $1,334
              4th:         Pat White, Batavia, Ohio, five bass, 10-9, $933
              5th:         Ken Garbe, Wyoming, Ohio, five bass, 10-5, $800
              6th:         Cody Seeger, Bellefontaine, Ohio, five bass, 9-14, $833
              7th:         Douglas Lyon, Cincinnati, Ohio, five bass, 9-7, $667
              8th:         Mark Dove, North Vernon, Ind., five bass, 8-11, $600
              9th:         Chris Wilkinson, Farmersburg, Ind., five bass, 8-10, $533
              10th:       Sean Wieda, Florence, Ky., five bass, 8-5, $467
Complete results can be found at FLWFishing.com.
Steve Hengehold of Cincinnati, Ohio, caught a bass weighing 5 pounds, 14 ounces – the heaviest of the event in the Boater Division – and earned the day's Boater Big Bass award of $540.
Trevor Howard of Union, Kentucky, won the Co-angler Division and $2,228 Saturday after catching a five-bass limit weighing 11 pounds, 5 ounces. Howard earned $2,228 for his victory.
The top 10 co-anglers finished:
              1st:          Trevor Howard, Union, Ky., five bass, 11-5, $2,228
              2nd:         Dennis Hughes, Bethel, Ohio, three bass, 8-7, $981
              3rd:         Jonathan Fulton, Ray, Ohio, five bass, 8-0, $855
              4th:         Hunter Fillmore, Waynesville, Ohio, five bass, 7-12, $508
              5th:         Ryan Sykes, Hamilton, Ohio, five bass, 7-2, $393
              6th:         John Lane, Findlay, Ohio, five bass, 6-13, $360
              7th:         Remington Throckmorton, Otway, Ohio, five bass, 6-9, $327
              8th:         Clint Brodsky, Burlington, Ky., five bass, 6-6, $294
              9th:         Joshua Wright, Arcanum, Ohio, four bass, 5-10, $262
              10th:       Frank Aldridge, Wheelersburg, Ohio, five bass, 5-5, $229
The top 45 boaters and co-anglers in the region based on point standings, along with the five winners in each qualifying event, will be entered in the Oct. 11-13 BFL Regional Championship on the Chesapeake Bay in North East, Maryland. Boaters will compete for a top award of a Ranger Z518C with a 200-horsepower Evinrude outboard and $20,000, while co-anglers will fish for a new Ranger Z518C with a 200-horsepower Evinrude outboard.
The 2018 BFL is a 24-division circuit devoted to weekend anglers, with 128 tournaments throughout the season, five qualifying events in each division. The top 45 boaters and co-anglers from each division, along with the five winners of the qualifying events, will advance to one of six regional tournaments where they are competing to finish in the top six, which then qualifies them for one of the longest-running championships in all of competitive bass fishing – the BFL All-American. The 2018 BFL All-American will be held May 31-June 2 at Cross Lake in Shreveport, Louisiana, and is hosted by the Shreveport-Bossier Sports Commission. Top performers in the BFL can move up to the Costa FLW Series or even the FLW Tour.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service