Umatilla fisherman killed by lightning bolt in 5th Fl. death blamed on lightning

Started by FloridaFishinFool, June 29, 2018, 11:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaFishinFool

June 28, 2018 Orlando Sentinel

Jeffrey J. Moyor knew where to find the "big ones" in Lake Owen, said a neighbor who found him dead Wednesday of a lightning strike, slumped over in a pontoon boat on the lake northwest of Umatilla in Lake County.

Moyer, who came to Florida from Nevada to fish three months ago, was maybe more familiar with the lake's best fishing spots than the Sunshine State's reputation as the nation's deadliest place for lightning, said R.G. Champion, 75.

"The neighbors all heard it," Champion said Thursday of the thunder blast that followed the lightning flash.

Moyer, 44, died from electrocution from a lightning strike while docked after fishing, according to a spokeswoman for the District 5 Medical Examiner's Office, which serves Citrus, Hernando, Lake, Marion and Sumter counties.

His death was the fifth blamed on lightning in Florida this year and the eighth in the nation, according to the National Weather Service in Melbourne, which tracks fatal lightning strikes. It occurred during National Lightning Safety Awareness Week, an observance started by the National Lightning Safety Council in 2001.

"Lightning can strike 10 miles from the rain area in a thunderstorm. If you hear thunder, you need to get to a safe place immediately," according to the council's website, which describes lightning as "an underrated killer."

Although Moyer's death was reported to the Lake County Sheriff's Office about 6:30 p.m., National Weather Service radar showed a thunderstorm with lightning strikes in the area of the lake about 2 p.m., forecaster Will Ulrich said.

Florida averages 1.17 million cloud-to-ground lightning strikes per year, second in the nation to Texas.

According to a sheriff's report, Champion was planning to fish off his dock around 6 p.m. when he glanced at Moyer's dock and noticed him slumped over in his boat. Another neighbor discovered Moyer was not breathing.

Deputies said Moyer lived in the area for a few months out of the year "strictly for fishing."

Neighbors noticed he was fishing before the storm hit, the sheriff's report said.

Florida lightning also was blamed this month for a beach-goer's death on Siesta Beach and a man who was weed-whacking in Margate.

or 407-650-6361.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Lipripper

It's sad to see this and I try to stay off boats when a storm that might have lightning in it is anywhere close to where I might be fishing.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Sad news indeed. I have the utmost respect for lightening. I do not mess with it. If I remotely hear thunder I'm running for the closes cover or to the dock to wait the storm out.

WTodd

When your time is up, it doesn't matter what you're doing.  I don't mess with lightning but here in Florida it can come up on you in split second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Quote from: WTodd on June 30, 2018, 01:26:51 PM
When your time is up, it doesn't matter what you're doing.  I don't mess with lightning but here in Florida it can come up on you in split second

Your right about that.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

WTodd

With that said "going out" while fishing ain't the worst way to go.