Helix SI settings

Started by FD, April 15, 2018, 03:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FD

I replaced my older water damaged Bird SI with a helix 10 at the helm and the settings I used on the older unit don't get me the same results.

I've been tweaking and tweaking but it just seems to get worse.

Anyone (Wayne) have a good place to start again?

I fish warm water, mostly less than 15' deep with lots of vegetation.

swim/bike/run....repeat

Sent from the end of the paved road.....
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Wayne P.

Quote from: Fishindaddy on April 15, 2018, 03:51:10 AM
I replaced my older water damaged Bird SI with a helix 10 at the helm and the settings I used on the older unit don't get me the same results.

I've been tweaking and tweaking but it just seems to get worse.

Anyone (Wayne) have a good place to start again?

I fish warm water, mostly less than 15' deep with lots of vegetation.

swim/bike/run....repeat

Which one of the 6 versions of Helix 10?
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

FD

swim/bike/run....repeat

Wayne P.

OK, that is a first generation Helix 10 SI GPS with the KVD red bling.
Should not be much difference than an older SI model, other than the Helix is more sensitive.

The unit does very well with just the default settings plus some tweaking.
Start by doing a Restore Defaults to get rid of any changes you made.
1. To get the best detail with SI, use a SI Range of three times the depth. That will have 1/3 of each side displaying the water column and 2/3 of each side displaying the bottom.
You can use a longer range setting for general searching for large features.

2. Pick a display color that you can see the best according to the ambient light. The display is a lot brighter than the number series units.

3. Match the Chart Speed to the GPS speed mostly. If you want stuff to appear larger, use a faster Chart Speed than the GPS speed by a couple of numbers. That will stretch the subjects some.

4. Adjust the SI sensitivity and DI sensitivity so the bottom is dark enough that the lighter fish returns are not blended into the bottom----like this:

That is not a set-it-and-forget-it. Adjust as often as needed according to depth changes and bottom harness changes.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

FD

Quote from: Wayne P. on April 17, 2018, 11:47:23 AM
OK, that is a first generation Helix 10 SI GPS with the KVD red bling.
Should not be much difference than an older SI model, other than the Helix is more sensitive.

The unit does very well with just the default settings plus some tweaking.
Start by doing a Restore Defaults to get rid of any changes you made.
1. To get the best detail with SI, use a SI Range of three times the depth. That will have 1/3 of each side displaying the water column and 2/3 of each side displaying the bottom.
You can use a longer range setting for general searching for large features.

2. Pick a display color that you can see the best according to the ambient light. The display is a lot brighter than the number series units.

3. Match the Chart Speed to the GPS speed mostly. If you want stuff to appear larger, use a faster Chart Speed than the GPS speed by a couple of numbers. That will stretch the subjects some.

4. Adjust the SI sensitivity and DI sensitivity so the bottom is dark enough that the lighter fish returns are not blended into the bottom----like this:

That is not a set-it-and-forget-it. Adjust as often as needed according to depth changes and bottom harness changes.
Thanks Wayne. I try this weekend.

swim/bike/run....repeat

basss

I always adjust my chart speed, when underway I set it "Ultra" and when trolling, I set it two "1".
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard