Skeeter vmax150 speed

Started by Jesse212, July 17, 2018, 08:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse212

Guys,

I have a 2014 Skeeter tzx190 with a vmax 150 on it. With the stock prop and tournament load it runs about 56mph. I got an aftermarket prop with the same 23 pitch and its ventless with a little bigger cups and it runs about 54/55 tournament load which was expected. My question, is there stuff I can do to get more speed out of my motor without actually throwing a 175 on it? Ive heard talk of bolt on mods and ECUs and stuff like that. Ive heard guys with the same tzx190s with a vmax 150 running like 65mph. Is that unrealistic? I just put a new lower unit, filters, and fluids so all that stuff is fresh as well.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Jesse212 on July 17, 2018, 08:08:48 AM
Guys,

I have a 2014 Skeeter tzx190 with a vmax 150 on it. With the stock prop and tournament load it runs about 56mph. I got an aftermarket prop with the same 23 pitch and its ventless with a little bigger cups and it runs about 54/55 tournament load which was expected. My question, is there stuff I can do to get more speed out of my motor without actually throwing a 175 on it? Ive heard talk of bolt on mods and ECUs and stuff like that. Ive heard guys with the same tzx190s with a vmax 150 running like 65mph. Is that unrealistic? I just put a new lower unit, filters, and fluids so all that stuff is fresh as well.
Welcome aboard UltimateBass! ~c~ There are lots of variables. Numbers help determine performance and if there's room for improvement. Do you have a jackplate? What is your prop shaft to pad height? Running WOT, what is your RPM? Fill in the blanks and we'll have some suggestions I'm sure.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Jesse212

It is a fixed jack plate and the height is whatever it was set at from the factory. With the stock prop I was running WOT at about 5800 RMPS and it redlines at 6000. With the after market prop with the same pitch WOT is about 5500 RMPS which was expected because the blades and cups are bigger.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Jesse212 on July 17, 2018, 08:44:13 AM
It is a fixed jack plate and the height is whatever it was set at from the factory. With the stock prop I was running WOT at about 5800 RMPS and it redlines at 6000. With the after market prop with the same pitch WOT is about 5500 RMPS which was expected because the blades and cups are bigger.
When you say "fixed" jackplate, do you mean it is adjustable by loosening bolts and adjusting/tightening or that there is no adjustment?

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Jesse212

Yes it is adjustable. It just is not hydraulic.

Bud Kennedy

While I think that 65 is a bit tall for rig/motor it would be helpful to know what your prop to pad measurement is.  Any other performance observations you might have like prop blow out or rooster tail height or other things that might give an indication of what is happening.  I am a firm believer that prop to pad is a major factor before getting into the prop roulette deal.

Jesse212

I can get my prop to ad height later tonight. That is taken from top of prop to bottom of pad correct? And the rooster tail at WOT trimmed up is roughly the height of the top of the motor or just a bit above. I figured 65 was a bit much for a 150.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Jesse212 on July 17, 2018, 08:58:39 AM
I can get my prop to ad height later tonight. That is taken from top of prop to bottom of pad correct? And the rooster tail at WOT trimmed up is roughly the height of the top of the motor or just a bit above. I figured 65 was a bit much for a 150.
Level the boat's pad to the floor/ground and trim the motor down to where the propshaft is level. Then measure from the center of the propshaft to the ground. Then measure from the pad to the ground. The difference between the two measurements will be how far your propshaft is below the pad.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Jesse212

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 17, 2018, 08:53:52 AM
While I think that 65 is a bit tall for rig/motor it would be helpful to know what your prop to pad measurement is.  Any other performance observations you might have like prop blow out or rooster tail height or other things that might give an indication of what is happening.  I am a firm believer that prop to pad is a major factor before getting into the prop roulette deal.
Skeeter hulls tend to be a faster hulls. Before I re-powered, the Stratos with the 150 Intruder could hit 64 with just me. Now, I'm lucky to see much above 60 unless the water is cold.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Princeton_Man

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

Look up "Hydro Tec" for quality aftermarket Yamamammer performance parts. But you still meed to get your current set-up right. I had a '97 ZX-150 with the same motor that ran 64 loaded. Your boat is just slightly larger.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

bentzboatwhisperer

Mid 60's will be a challenge for sure. Only times I have seen those numbers was a very light close to empty load on ZX190 w/ 150SHO 24 Tempest 64mph @ 6100rpms and a ZX150 150SHO 25T1 B&BP 68mph @5950rpms.
In your case I could recommend 23M, 23-24 Tempest, 23 Trophy or 22 RX4. If you have the slidemaster manual jackplate with the dots on the side try raising up to 10 dots and work your way down. Keep an eye on Water PSI.