Winter Jerkbait bass fishing How To's

Started by Mike Cork, January 03, 2019, 12:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

It's been years but I used to use a lot of jerkbaits when I fished out west. I used everything from a basic rattlin rogue to deep driving rebels. With probably 10 years experience I still struggled every season with the basics of jerkbait fishing. Now I want to apply some jerkbait fishing to these sothern waters...

Everyone said it was about the cadence, find the right cadence and you will catch bass hand over fist. I could spend all day on the water and never catch a jerkbait bass while others did in fact catch tournament winning stringers.

What is a good starting cadence and then how do you adjust? I do a lot of rattle trap fishing here in the south, to say start with a fast retrieve and slow down until you start catching them is not always the case. Sometimes, even on the most post front blue bird sky of days, speeding up and drawing a reaction strike is the right move... So how do you know?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

I don't worry about the cadence all that much. Mostly its a two jerk, pause, single jerk, pause and repeat. The most important thing is having some slack in the line. When its correct you can hear the line whip every time you jerk the rod. By doing this you are making the nose of the bait move more side to side than coming straight back to the boat. After you get this down its just a matter of how long to pause the bait between the jerks when its really cold. Mike see if Gary Dobyns can send you a write up about it to post. He may be the best at this than anybody. Also I'll have my son shoot a video the next time he's out where you can hear his line while he's rippin it

Princeton_Man

For me, it's a cold water bait and I fish mainly suspending jerkbaits, cast well beyond my target area, crank them down a bit, then work them with two or three twitches followed by a roughly 15-30 second pause. I'm more of a twitcher than a jerker. I see some guys working jerkbaits like they're walking the dog but, I've never had much success with that method.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

It's all about water temps for me. When the water is in the 30's and 40's, the "jerks" go away, and in fact in the coldest water I just pull or "drag" the bait a few inches to a foot or so, with pauses that sometimes last seemingly forever...

In the fifties to sixty degrees  or so, it's "swish-swish" (yankin' hell out of the line, NOT the bait). It's at this point where the cadence comes in to play, for me. You let the bass tell you what THEY want, and the jerkbait is one of the best lures that can help you read a bass' mood. Then in water temps above sixty, that's where I basically never quit yankin' the thing. And yes, I fish a jerkbait in water up and into the 80's if the situations dictates. Betcha not many folks do THAT.

Good topic, Mike!
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

When fishing a jerkbait, do you feel 1) bass are looking up at the bait in the water column so only the color of the bottom of the bait matters 2) bass are looking at it from the side so entire bait color matters 3) a properly performing bait (angler and bait) has the bait rolling so that the entire bait is visible?

I remember we used to add glitter to our baits bellies with fingernail polish. Thinking back on it, maybe it was more angler confidence than it was a function of a better tool.

Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

Ok here is a look at my son's and my trip on New Years day. We were at Lake Norman. Air temp 60 Surface temp 54 and about 3 foot visibility no wind overcast. Robert had three jerkbaits tied on. Megabass 110+1 in Elgybone, MB 110+1 in Table Rock Shad, MB 110 in Pro Blue. I was throwing a crankbait shad color. Our first stop was a secondary point that dropped off into 15 feet of water. Robert hooked up on his 3rd cast on the Table Rock bait. Caught fish number 2 a couple of cast later. I picked up Elgybone bait and never had a strike. We then moved to a main creek rip rap point that fell off into 20 feet of water. Robert caught six in short order and had several more bites and I had no bites. On our other stops Robert rotated between baits and all he could catch them on was the Table Rock color. He wound up with 15 fish all but two on that one bait the other two were on a jig. So yes we highly believe in color. Yes bass definitely look up and come up to get jerkbaits, but they come from long distances from the side to get them. If the sun would have been out the clear baits probably would have been better. He has won a bunch of tournaments on the jerkbaits.

Watch this clip
https://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/epic-underwater-fishing-footage-slow-motion-jerkbait-bites

Wizard

Sometimes I get very frustrated when responding to a post. I'll type for 40 minutes and just before sending it, my response disappears into cyber space. It happens a lot to me. So, you get the Cliff Notes response.
When I was young, I fished Norfork Lake on the Arkie/Misery border. Normally a clear lake, it can be crazy clear in winter. Eyeballing bass at 49-50 foot is common. Sometimes in 30-40 degree water you would see a suspended bass at depth come up for s threadfin like a freight train. This was filed away in my brain. I had heard about an angler from Florida who used jerkbaits  in all seasons. His name was Jim Bitter. working a booth at a local show for a sponsor and Bitter was giving a seminar on jerkbaits. He stopped by the booth, I introduced myself and we talked awhile about jerkbaits. He often fished them fast in very cold water and said if the bass were hungry, they could catch the lure. Having seen the bass react at Norfork, I definitely believed him. Then he surprised me. He said he won many Florida tournaments by fishing the jerkbait very fast around docks and boathouses in the heat of summer. If bass were biting a trap he could catch more on a jerkbait (that's for you, Mr Cork)
Now a couple of things I do with a jerkbait. I mostly fish it slow as Dale fished the bait. Occasionally, I will switch to a very fast retrieve and have loaded the boat fishing fast in 30-40 degree water. I also will stop the retrieve and shake the rod vertically to make the jerkbait move like the board on a tetter totter. Something just a little different that bass seem to like.

Wizard

Eric-Maine

From my experience when the water is cold bass will only hit the JB when it is still. (A slight tick like a jig bite.) So the pause is key. Duration and frequency of the pause integral to the cadence.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: Eric-Maine on January 03, 2019, 04:39:24 PM
From my experience when the water is cold bass will only hit the JB when it is still. (A slight tick like a jig bite.) So the pause is key. Duration and frequency of the pause integral to the cadence.

polite 'ask' here:  when saying 'cold' can you clarify a temp range to go with it?  I'm expecting low 50's for water temps.  so for jan 5, not really that cold at all.

headed out this weekend to attempt some of what this thread will divulge.  will be working jerkbaits wtih a 6-10 medium action rod on 10lb flouro.  don't have time/cash to go get the 8 lb stuff.

what about location?
I'll be on the TN river (chickamauga) and expecting to fish bluff rock where it ends in a point. they'll be pulling real good current, so a few of those 'indents' that are current breaks, eddies may figure too.

I suppose I'll look for larger chunk rock transitions.
would anyone look for the smaller rock, red clay colored banks with more of a flat?  if so, do they need to be close to deep water transitions?

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Eric-Maine on January 03, 2019, 04:39:24 PM

That's my experience as well. In fact, I usually find them on the bait when I either turn the crank or twitch the bait. It's never a grab while I'm working it.

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 03, 2019, 02:46:38 PM
When fishing a jerkbait, do you feel 1) bass are looking up at the bait in the water column so only the color of the bottom of the bait matters 2) bass are looking at it from the side so entire bait color matters 3) a properly performing bait (angler and bait) has the bait rolling so that the entire bait is visible?

I remember we used to add glitter to our baits bellies with fingernail polish. Thinking back on it, maybe it was more angler confidence than it was a function of a better tool.
Definitely believe they come up beneath the bait.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

I fish a jerkbait this time of the year like it's a topwater, i.e. the same conditions. Cloudy days. Wind. I rarely throw one on still, sunny days. Except in the shade. Like a topwater...
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Deadeye

Cooler water, IE here in Florida anything under 70, I will fish a Jerkbait on 8-12 lb Mono and a Medium Action Spinning Rod.

Normal Cadence is Jerk-Jerk-Pause, but can vary as needed.

That doesn't mean I will not fish them in water in the 80's, because I do. In fact I caught one during our Fl Classic using that same cadence.

Extreme clear and vegetation clean water I will go down to 8 lb and have done well doing that on the Harris Chain in February. I move to the 12 lb if vegetation is present that might snag the lure.

The lure simply mimics a dying fish, so there is no reason to not ever fish it.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 03, 2019, 01:57:37 PM
And yes, I fish a jerkbait in water up and into the 80's if the situations dictates. Betcha not many folks do THAT.

Good topic, Mike!

In the back of the classroom a hand belonging to an old timer slowly gets raised and he's nodding in the affirmative......
I do also Dale, especially around docks and outside edges of grass. I also like to use original Rapalas over grass, let em sit then twitch, let em sit then twitch, so on and so forth. It also works around wood and shallow rock piles.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Kayankee

Cast , reel up slack, twitch, go get coffee come back twitch, take a nap, twitch;)

Deadeye

Maybe we should Clarify something here, This STYLE of Jerkbait fishing is being done with a Hard Bait.

Why I say that is lots of baits can and are used the same way, IE Flukes, Sluggo, Trick Worms, Senko ETC.

In EFFECT what is being portrayed to the Target Fish is that a meal has been injured and slowly dying and presents an Easy Meal with little effort.

Picture in your Mind's Eye a Bait Fish that is Dying from lowered water temps, lack of Oxygen, Predator Attack, or whatever reason you can come up with. That Bait is slowly settling from the top to the bottom as it struggles to attempt to survive. It settles then Twitch-Twitch- Pause as it has used up all its strength. 

This sequence repeats itself until at last the Bait has either succumbed to the injury or another Predator has consumed it. Which for Us is the Largemouth Bass. The Twitching or Jerk can be alternated to imitate what the current Bait is doing, thus increasing the likelihood of the end result being a Bass strikes.

Likewise the Pause should be experimented with, as it also can make all the difference.

While the Jerkbait is considered by many to be a Winter Only Lure, in effect Bait is dying from one reason or another during all segments of of the Fishing Year. Bass, especially Larger Bass, are feeders of opportunity and can be tricked into feeding on our Bait by presenting it in a Natural Way that offers a meal that does not expel much energy.

Adding the Jerk Bait to your list of Tools gives you another choice to fool that Bass.

Eric-Maine

Quote from: coldfront on January 03, 2019, 04:50:54 PM
polite 'ask' here:  when saying 'cold' can you clarify a temp range to go with it?  I'm expecting low 50's for water temps.  so for jan 5, not really that cold at all.

headed out this weekend to attempt some of what this thread will divulge.  will be working jerkbaits wtih a 6-10 medium action rod on 10lb flouro.  don't have time/cash to go get the 8 lb stuff.

what about location?
I'll be on the TN river (chickamauga) and expecting to fish bluff rock where it ends in a point. they'll be pulling real good current, so a few of those 'indents' that are current breaks, eddies may figure too.

I suppose I'll look for larger chunk rock transitions.
would anyone look for the smaller rock, red clay colored banks with more of a flat?  if so, do they need to be close to deep water transitions?
Winter in Maine starts in October ends in June. LOL For me cold is 40 to 55 degrees. A lot too is what the temperatures were last week. Stable cold seems tougher than warming or cooling water. Luckily here water warms fairly quickly at ice out and takes longer to cool especially in deeper water in the fall. I have never fished Chick but did Nickajack in April.  Jerkbait should be right. Catch one of those giants.

Several years ago at the Classic on Grand Lake the jerkbait was a big player in cold water and current.

zippyduck

My favorite winter areas are bluff walls with an adjacent point or flat. 
The cadence is not as important as the pause. More to the point is the length of pause. Up to a minute is not unusual in water temps up to 50 degrees.
I will work with a slow riser, slow sinker, and a neutral boyant baits. I always start with a 10 second pause and extend it by 5 seconds till I find the right one.
In Raystown lake this will catch largies, smallies, stripers, and lake trout.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Deadeye

Quote from: zippyduck on January 05, 2019, 01:54:51 AM
My favorite winter areas are bluff walls with an adjacent point or flat. 
The cadence is not as important as the pause. More to the point is the length of pause. Up to a minute is not unusual in water temps up to 50 degrees.
I will work with a slow riser, slow sinker, and a neutral boyant baits. I always start with a 10 second pause and extend it by 5 seconds till I find the right one.
In Raystown lake this will catch largies, smallies, stripers, and lake trout.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Good stuff Zip, and I have heard Timmy Horton say the same thing on his shows while fishing during the winter months.

Princeton_Man

I was over on the Dobyns Rods page looking at rods and noticed an article there called Tips and Tricks For Jerkbaits.

Also a good read.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

loomisguy

Wind it down and give it a pull or 3 and pause. The fish will determine the length of pause.
The majority of the time that's when they will eat it.
Once the water gets to 60 or so I put it away, not that they still won't bite it but I think there are better options.

RDY2GO

Quote from: Deadeye on January 04, 2019, 04:28:51 PM
Maybe we should Clarify something here, This STYLE of Jerkbait fishing is being done with a Hard Bait.

*snip*

In the "Learn How to Catch Bass" thread there was a lot of discussion about "experts" and who they are or should be.  Read my "Skunked. Again." post and it will become apparent that being an "expert" can be a moving target, at the very least it depends on who's company you're in at the moment.

This post was absolutely one of the best written that I have read since joining the forum.  Guy's, I had no clue what a "jerk bait" was or the technique involved in using it.  Deadeye (I'm sorry, I haven't caught your name yet) painted a picture that described the technique, but also the reasoning behind it which allowed me to completely understand the theory.

In so many of the posts I read it's almost like reading a foreign language only worse, because I understand the words and the basic meaning, but have no clue about whats being said or how it applies.  Most of you guys know each other and the backgrounds involved, so you can shortcut "shop talk" and have a more than reasonable expectation that almost everyone get's it too.  However, the I.Q. pool here has been lowered now that I have joined and am hanging in here, so occasionally how about some of guys throwing the dog a bone?

Again, thank you for what was for me a very informative post, the next time I'm on the water I will put this into practice and see what develops.  I normally keep a Rattle-Trap in the box and have a cpl of square bills.  Are these what I should be using or would you suggest something else (I'm just itching to go to Gander Mountain...  ~roflmao )
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC

Deadeye

/\ Thank you for the kind words.

The baits you mentioned could be used, but in most cases it is a bait that is a slim almost pencil shape that is used for a Jerkbait.  Think a Smithwick Rouge or a Rapala Floating Minnow (or suspending if that is your goal).

Most of the Rouges or Rapalas with slowly float back up during the Pause, unless you buy the ones that are clearly marked as Suspending. These baits are built to "suspend", which means that the stay at the level they have been pulled down to and do not not rise back to the surface like a normal bait would.

Rapala also makes one called a Countdown Minnow. It is a Sinking Minnow and you Count Down how far you want it to sink before you begin your retrieve. So during the Pause it would actually sink instead of Rise, something that just may make all the difference for you one day. In other words just another tool in your box to try.