Bilge pump on nitro

Started by Burbarry, November 19, 2018, 08:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burbarry

I noticed that my bilge pump doesn't turn on automatically. Is this normal for nitro boats? I ordered a new one just Incase it's bad. I'm also not really seeing a float switch for this to make it automatically turn on. I may need to add a float switch and change out my off/on switch on the dash with a off/on/auto switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Burbarry on November 19, 2018, 08:49:20 AM
I'm also not really seeing a float switch for this to make it automatically turn on.

Sometimes the float switch is inside the pump housing. Could be a fuse inline somewhere?

Definitely make sure it works!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Bud Kennedy

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question.  If you are getting water in your bilge, where is it coming from?

Mike Cork

Quote from: Burbarry on November 19, 2018, 08:49:20 AM
I noticed that my bilge pump doesn't turn on automatically. Is this normal for nitro boats? I ordered a new one just Incase it's bad. I'm also not really seeing a float switch for this to make it automatically turn on. I may need to add a float switch and change out my off/on switch on the dash with a off/on/auto switch.

What year and model? Not all boats come with an automatic bilge system. If you have a rocker switch on the dash that suggests there is an automatic then there may be something wrong with an internal float on your current pump. Most bilge pumps for nitro are Atwood and they use and external float so I'd question whether you have an auto system.

If you pay attention a manual system is sufficent but the auto systems are much safer.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Burbarry

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 19, 2018, 09:02:03 AM
I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question.  If you are getting water in your bilge, where is it coming from?

It's coming from when I stop on water I'm getting better at giving it a little gas before stopping at the end but it's not much usually. Even after moving all day.

Burbarry

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 19, 2018, 12:04:10 PM
What year and model? Not all boats come with an automatic bilge system. If you have a rocker switch on the dash that suggests there is an automatic then there may be something wrong with an internal float on your current pump. Most bilge pumps for nitro are Atwood and they use and external float so I'd question whether you have an auto system.

If you pay attention a manual system is sufficent but the auto systems are much safer.

I do have a rocker switch that is just off or on. It is a 2005. The Current pump is Mayfair marine 500gph. I bought a direct replacement but it's a Johnson pump. I think manual should be ok will just have to run the pump halfway through the day for a little while then shut it off.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Burbarry on November 19, 2018, 07:22:11 PM
It's coming from when I stop on water I'm getting better at giving it a little gas before stopping at the end but it's not much usually. Even after moving all day.

OH OK, A very common thing.  We all get some water over the transom from time to time.  My old Ranger has a very large splash well that catches the water when I come off plane to stop a little too quickly.  That little touch of the throttle will become second nature to you so no big deal.

Oldfart9999

It's not a hard deal to install an automatic bilge and use the manual one as a backup, tie it in to the drain hose and you're set to go.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.