Reel seat cutout

Started by The Rooster, October 10, 2018, 08:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rooster

When buying a casting rod do you pay attention to the cutout being there in the reel seats? I love the Fuji ECS seat for pure comfort reasons but I wonder if I'd mind the TCS seat not having the cutout. I'm unconvinced that it really adds that much to the sensitivity I'm able to feel. I sort of think I'd feel vibrations and ticks just because the rod is in my hand, cutout or not.

zippyduck

I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. I have both and on good blanks it doesn't seem to make a difference.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Pferox

If I want to feel, I usually hold the line, or a place on the blank near the front of the reel seat.

Only thing I usually watch for on the reel seat is that it is the right size for the reel I want to use.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LgMouthGambler

I like Fugi seats. The full exposed ones dont fit me right. The Alps ones is really nice, but very limited to companies using them. I know Lee Smith made a few rods for me with them, and they are nice. Hes a custom rod builder on this site. Very high quality craftsmanship.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

The Rooster

I feel like when I want a rod again that I may have to go custom just to get one I can live with now. I really don't like the trends that rods tend to follow these days. How expensive is custom? Ballpark range. Is $100 unrealistic or is it more like $250-300?

SteelHorseCowboy

I'm going with what feels good in my hand. Of mine, the Fuji seat on my Curado rod feels the nicest.
Who gives a damn about perceived sensitivity if the rod becomes uncomfortable to hold, causes hand cramps, or you just can't get a good grip on it?
First requirement is to be able to hold the rod.

Rooster, you're probably looking at $250 near the bottom end of a true custom rod.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

The Rooster

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, a good custom would be pretty high by my standards.

Honestly if it was a question of comfort or sensitivity then the Fuji ECS reel seat has it covered all around. The trouble is they don't use this seat on a lot of rods anymore it seems. I've seen the TCS on one I was thinking of getting, the Shimano Convergence cranking rod, so I thought I'd ask. It looks similar to the ECS but without the cutout it will feel a little bulky in hand. I'm finding the older I get the less "functional" my hands are at holding things without pain. I'm beginning to prefer slim grips on tools and fishing rods, even the tapered shaped cork handle on my old Shimano Compre rod is much preferable to the straight handle of rods like the St. Croix Premier or Triumph. Then there's always the state of mind on the sensitivity being reduced. I think all the advertisement and hype and internet post reading has built up a heightened perception that that was needed or else I'd be missing something. Every now and then I can forget all that and let things influence me (or remind me of what I've forgot) in a way to cut through the bull and see what is really going on. Last time out I focused on what I was feeling and why and I realized the cutout doesn't seem to even be doing anything, it's the sheer fact that the rod is in my hand at all that allows me to feel bottom contour and any potential bites. Then common sense kicked in and said my spinning rod has nothing at all similar to a cutout and I still feel things with it, so I have decided to let go of the mindset on reel seat cutouts being necessary for a jig/worm rod. Also, for a cranking rod, I guess some would say sensitivity is less important but I've always wanted to maintain just as much as possible so I feel when that bait bumps a stump or rock and I want to know the difference in the two. I'm currently using a Cabela's Tourney Trail rod for cranking and it sometimes feels dull to me with the baits I throw. Was looking to make a change.

crankenstein

For me, I prefer the ECS reel seat but also like Pac Bay Minima. I've tried rods with the ACS reel seat but it's just too big and uncomfortable for me. There's been a lot of rods I'd love to have but that reel seat wasn't for me personally. I think it's all a matter of comfort, how you hold your rod and\or palm the reel. To me, sensitivity is more about the blank itself and even the type of line you're using.

zippyduck

I second LMG's pic. The ALPS is the best I have ever felt but you pay for it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

The Rooster

LMG posted a pic? It's not showing for me. Must be in the settings or something.

I second Crankenstein's feeling on the ACS seat. I've tried to like it for the sake of getting certain rods but every time I put a reel on one and experiment with it the trigger feels thick and in the way and even on a mock cast it feels like I'm about to throw the whole rod away. I'd LOVE to love it if I could cause it would open up a lot more options. It seems to be more in use than the ECS now.

Capt. BassinLou

Here are a couple of pics of one of my Alps MVT reel seats.  This one is from my frogging LSCR. This reel seat sits comfortably in my hand.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: The Rooster on October 13, 2018, 09:27:36 AM
LMG posted a pic? It's not showing for me. Must be in the settings or something.

I second Crankenstein's feeling on the ACS seat. I've tried to like it for the sake of getting certain rods but every time I put a reel on one and experiment with it the trigger feels thick and in the way and even on a mock cast it feels like I'm about to throw the whole rod away. I'd LOVE to love it if I could cause it would open up a lot more options. It seems to be more in use than the ECS now.
I think maybe Zippy meant pick not pic as in picture?

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

The Rooster

Bassinlou, I can see why that's so comfortable. It looks like a hybrid version of the ACS and ECS combined. ACS overall shape with the ECS trigger. The trigger is what I have against the ACS seat, it's too thick and causes discomfort in my hand trying to hold and use it. I don't own any but handling in the store and fishing for a while with a friend's rod that has Bass Pro's version of it convinces me. Also I have another rod that has a thicker trigger and it does the same thing. My Compre with the ECS seat is so nice I can't even imagine why they'd deviate away from it other than public perception of boring and traditional vs. new and cool looking.