Bigmouth Sleeper

Started by FlatsNBay, November 23, 2018, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Anybody ever catch one? They are a rare catch. The other day I was exploring a new retention pond that eventually connects to the Indian River via a ditch. I was fishing a swimbait and the first fish hit like a ton of bricks. I thought it was a 2 lb. bass but ended up being a 2 lb. bigmouth sleeper. A few casts later I caught another smaller one and had a few more hits. I quickly released the fish as I was in a hurry and was targeting bass. After thinking about it, I realized what the fish were but like a dummy I never took any pics! I plan on going back to try and target them to get some pics.

Capt. BassinLou

I have never heard of these fish before.

Lipripper

We got Gobies up here but none that big.  :shocking:

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

Cool I'm the goby family. Never seen one of them. Don't think we have those down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FlatsNBay

The three of the more common areas that they are found in Florida are Loxahatchee, St. Lucie River and the Sebastian River. I wonder if G or any of the other Lox anglers have caught one?

Canesfan

Never heard of it either and used to fish the St. Lucie region when we moved to Florida when I was a child. Never to old to learn something new.

LgMouthGambler

Weird. Looks like a cross breed of a snakehead and a bowfin.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

big g

Small mouth and NLM hait Golbies because they raid the nests.  Strikes on Golbies are violant, imatations are great bass lures on Lake Erie.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

warsaw

As a kid I caught a few of them in the Miami Airport Lakes - Blue Lagoon to be exact. Right off the dock on small shiners.

Biggest one I got was probably in the 5lb+/- range. Looked like a super long bass coming up.

It's amazing the amount of weird fish you could get in that system.