Shimano Tranx 200 or 300 for A-rigging?

Started by Bassinkorea, January 12, 2019, 06:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

I am hearing good things about the Tranx for big swimbaits and A-rigs.

Tranx at Monster

I am currently using a Revo STX with 50lb braid and get very close to spooling that reel with a long cast of my heavier A-rigs. I assume a Tranx 200 spool capacity would be similar to that of my STX, but I am worried the Tranx 300 would be too big in overall size.

Anybody have any advise on the above?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

18RangerZ520L

Yes, a great reel.  My buddy has a 300, they're not that big at all.  The 200 will probably be too similar to your STX, I'd recommend the 300.

I have Calcutta 400D's for my big bait applications, but obviously they're a round reel.  If you want low profile, Tranx is a great choice.

Good luck

Quote from: Bassinkorea on January 12, 2019, 06:47:30 AM
I am hearing good things about the Tranx for big swimbaits and A-rigs.

Tranx at Monster

I am currently using a Revo STX with 50lb braid and get very close to spooling that reel with a long cast. of my heavier A-rigs. I assume a Tranx 200 spool capacity would be similar to that of my STX, but I am worried the Tranx 300 would be too big in overall size.

Anybody have any advise on the above?

2018 Ranger Z520L | 2017 Platinum F250 | (2) Solix 15's w/360

Bassinkorea

Quote from: 18RangerZ520L on January 12, 2019, 06:52:01 AM
Yes, a great reel.  My buddy has a 300, they're not that big at all.  The 200 will probably be too similar to your STX, I'd recommend the 300.

I have Calcutta 400D's for my big bait applications, but obviously they're a round reel.  If you want low profile, Tranx is a great choice.

Good luck

Great feedback, thanks, really appreciate it   ~c~

loomisguy

I like the Tranx 300. Once it's on the rod it feels about like a smaller reel and has a bunch of capacity and power.
I have the slower version which still has a IPT of 30 , plenty fast for the A rig.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: loomisguy on January 12, 2019, 07:08:51 AM

I like the Tranx 300. Once it's on the rod it feels about like a smaller reel and has a bunch of capacity and power.
I have the slower version which still has a IPT of 30 , plenty fast for the A rig.

That is good to know (size on rod).
I would most likely get the slow ratio version as I mostly fish an A-rig SLOOOOOW in the dead of winter.

18RangerZ520L

Matt and Bill explain more about line capacity, gearing, etc in these two videos...  Both videos were made "pre-Tranx", but there's some good info in both videos.

2018 Ranger Z520L | 2017 Platinum F250 | (2) Solix 15's w/360

LgMouthGambler

My buddy Robert from HawgTech is big into tossing swimbaits and glidebaits. He has a Tranx 200, and really likes it. Great reel for line capacity, and honestly isnt that big in the hand.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bassinkorea

Well, I ended up ordering the Tranx 300. It looks to be a good solid reel whilst not being too oversized. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces with an A-rig next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955N using Tapatalk

loomisguy

calabash digger

I  have the 300 and it will handle the big baits with no problem. Just ordered a 200 to see how it handles the A rigs. 11 OZ reel VS 8 OZ reel  will be interesting to see and how the different brakes system on the 200 handles the heavy stuff.
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

DAIWA STEEZ A TW , SV TW,SHIMANO,LOOMIS.

calabash digger

Just made a post with a  video of the 200 I just got compared to my 300.
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

Dangerfield

There's a great tear down and comparison between the 200 and the Curado K. Sounds like the 200 is just a salt water version of the Curado K. If it were me and I was going big application, a-rig or big baits, it would have to be the 300.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinkorea on January 19, 2019, 05:22:36 AM
Well, I ended up ordering the Tranx 300. It looks to be a good solid reel whilst not being too oversized. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces with an A-rig next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955N using Tapatalk
Well how did it work out throwing that A-rig on your new reel?

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

calabash digger

I was chunking almost a 3 oz lure with the 200 and no problems at all. Fished a A RIG on it too and it handled it fine. I was using 4 Picasso 1/16 oz heads and a 1/8 oz head. The baits were 3.8 fat impact swim baits but I would not want to go much beyond that though.

I will say this it turned my swimbait setup into a pleasure to fish with because of its smaller size. My hands are short and fat and the 300 was just a little harder for me to hold. The 300 is a great reel and I loved it but the smaller profile suits my applications better.

loomisguy

The rod is going to dictate the amount of weight the set up can handle more so than the reel..
The advantage of the larger 300 or 400 is in handling a big bait with a big fish on it.
I never finesse them to the boat, just lean back and crank away .
To me, that's where the bigger sizes shine.

calabash digger

True, I caught a 9,5 on a lexa 300 and pulled it straight to the bank with no messing around and of course I had a heavy action swimbait rod...

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Lipripper on February 14, 2019, 03:29:25 PM
Well how did it work out throwing that A-rig on your new reel?

Once I got the spool brakes set up just right, the reel casts and retrieves the A-rig with ease. Even though it is a little bigger than most of my reels, it feels really comfortable.

I've had no takers on the A-rig so far this year, so I haven't had the opportunity to properly test the reels power yet. Hopefully this weekend.