Woodland Lake Sep 3, 2018

Started by Pipepro, September 03, 2018, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

Hit the ramp early 5:45am, I love being first on the water.

Partly cloudy, 72 degrees and HUMID (thanks Michigan)

Water was slick calm till about 8:30 then a light S/SE wind 7-9mph

Started at the West end of the lake, fishing in 4-6' of water along some weed lines.

I was using a Megabass I-Jack and my partner was throwing a Buzzbait. I made about 10 casts and wham! Pulled out a scrappy little chunk, maybe 1.5lbs.  Next cast, same thing. It hit the water and one turn of the handle and fish on! Nice one, 3lbs. We moved about 5 boat lengths down the North side of the lake and my partner still had no bites. I picked up another 2lber and had a HUGE Northern pike blow up on the bait right at the boat. Scared the heck outta me since I didnt see him following it, and he actually flung the bait out of the water and hooked my shirt.

We kept along the North shore, and I got 3 more Largemouths each around 1-1.5lbs. My partner was changing baits every few casts with no bites.

Sun was up so we slid over to the island and hit the 2 long points. I had another big blowup with no connection, and my partner cast into the swirl with a Blue DX-10 and hooked a very nice 3.5lb fish.

We pulled up and went past the bridge on the West end of the lake, and I practiced my skipping. Pulled 2 dinks out from under pontoons, and he was throwing a weightless rage craw. Fished the whole West end and those were the only 2 bites.

Ran all the way back to the far East end of the lake, super shallow and it looks like they had sprayed the vegetation. Most everything was brown, and lots of floating pieces of grass. Partner managed to coax a nice 2lber out from under the only green pads we found. I went back to the I-jack but the pieces of grass fouled it easily so it was more effort than it was worth.

The wake boats were fired up early since it was a holiday. We headed to the ramp at 11:30, and saw the line of ski boats waiting for parking spots.

We quickly got loaded up as people were getting a bit agitated about all the fishing boats still on the water.

All in all, a good morning fishing. The I-jack was awesome, the one knocker in it just seems to infuriate the fish and all my strikes were huge blowups. My favorite way to fish!!
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Capt. BassinLou

Great report thank you for sharing!! Productive outing.

Lipripper

Thanks for the report and I just love fishing up there in yours lakes with all them pads and stuff in them. Glad y'all was able to catch a few fish .  ~c~ ~c~ I think I would of slowed down and took a little longer to load your boat up. lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pipepro

Quote from: Lipripper on September 03, 2018, 05:13:22 PMI think I would of slowed down and took a little longer to load your boat up. lo lo

Believe me, I thought about it.  People are crazy, trying to get in a small launch at noon on a holiday?  ~b~

Lipripper

Quote from: Pipepro on September 03, 2018, 05:36:10 PM
Believe me, I thought about it.  People are crazy, trying to get in a small launch at noon on a holiday?  ~b~
Sometimes it's fun just to park and watch them putting their boats in and out of the water.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Thanks for a great report and a mini testimonial on the I Jack, I'm really thinking about trying one but at the price I was hoping to hear some folks talk about it first.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bigbass201

Pretty good outing on that lake.  I've fished it a few times and my buddy Jim fished it around the same time as you.  He had a tough day and that lake has been fishing tough unless your after pike.  Kent Lake down the road is little more tempting to fish.  The only down side is it takes you a long time to get from point A to Point B with the no wake area.

R & J Bass Fishing Videos

https://rumble.com/c/c-364035

Pipepro

Quote from: Bigbass201 on November 17, 2018, 07:53:14 PM
Pretty good outing on that lake.  I've fished it a few times and my buddy Jim fished it around the same time as you.  He had a tough day and that lake has been fishing tough unless your after pike.  Kent Lake down the road is little more tempting to fish.  The only down side is it takes you a long time to get from point A to Point B with the no wake area.

I know this is kinda pulling one from the archives, but since it was the last day I fished last year I figured yall could overlook my whimsy.

I fished Kent 4 times last year, and never did very good. I always managed to catch a couple of small fish, but never could zero in on em. There are quite a few clubs that regularly hit that lake for outings, and some "Hollow Frog only" tournaments. Maybe this year Ill be able to figure them out.

Woodland lake was a big producer last year, at one point in the summer there were 7 tournaments on it in 8 days. First tournament winners were in at 17lbs, and on the last tournament the winners weighed just shy of 14lbs. Pretty good for such a small lake with tons of pressure.

I started a new job the day after Labor day and never got the boat back in the water.

Bigbass201

Good info Pipepro.   Same deal on Kent Lake.  It's not uncommon for a 20 lb. sack to win a tournament out there.   It's just a matter of finding them.   I always did best heading south although I caught some decent ones north.   You can find some pig smallmouth in there.   I guess I still need to learn Woodland better if they are weighing in 17 and 14 lb. sacks.   Good to know.  thanks
R & J Bass Fishing Videos

https://rumble.com/c/c-364035