1983 Lake Shasta Merle Haggard Tournament

Started by znate80, March 06, 2019, 11:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

znate80

Thought I would share with you all how I got into bass fishing. My Grandfather used to fish Red Man trail and my Grandma fished Bass'n Gal's out here in the west when I was a little guy. They used to take me fishing all the time. My Grandma said at 4yrs old I would sit in the back of the boat and fish all day without asking for anything. That was 34 yrs ago and I still love as much as I did then My Grandpa won the 3rd annual Merle Haggard Bass Tournament at Lake Shasta. This happened after he fished a Red Man event there and didn't catch a fish. My Grandma still fishes with me unfortunately my Grandfather is no longer around. Now I am passing my love of the sport onto my son. Posted a few pics for ya. I am the little guy in the family picture with Merle himself.

Grandma still catching em

My son and I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jocko

Awesome Pics,  especially with Merle.  Grandma is cool too! Still fishing!  Bless her! 

Thanks for sharing.  Great ranger boat.  Do you still have the boat - looks like a newer boat in pictures.

Smallie_Stalker

What fantastic memories. Thank you for sharing them with us and good on you for sharing the love of the sport with your boy. There's some more memories in the making!!!  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

znate80

Quote from: jocko on March 06, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
Awesome Pics,  especially with Merle.  Grandma is cool too! Still fishing!  Bless her! 

Thanks for sharing.  Great ranger boat.  Do you still have the boat - looks like a newer boat in pictures.

Unfortunately we do not still have it. My Grandfather sold it in the late 80's. Though I did see it a few years ago in a town about 10 miles from me. I was able to talk to the owner about the history of the boat. I just purchased a used Champion end of last year. Finally was in a financial comfortable place to have another bass boat after 10yrs of not having one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyduck

Thank you for the story and pics. I can't wait to see more pics of the boys fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Stren_g

This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! Thanks for sharing!

coldbasser

Quote from: Stren_g on March 07, 2019, 09:25:53 AM
This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! Thanks for sharing!
Rick
In God we trust, but evil occurred when good men do nothing

apenland01

Awesome history and pics!  Glad the little guy is getting into it.

Bigwrench

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Merle had a love of bass fishing, that's for sure. I remember seeing a story by his son not long after his passing where he acquired his dads Ranger and was restoring it. Awesome memories !
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bigwrench on March 08, 2019, 06:04:48 PM
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Merle had a love of bass fishing, that's for sure. I remember seeing a story by his son not long after his passing where he acquired his dads Ranger and was restoring it. Awesome memories !
I remember that story too. Great to see a boat returned to it's first home like that.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

What a great story and thanks for sharing.  So many memories that will be handed down to generations to come, thanks to your efforts! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: big g on June 15, 2022, 12:30:15 AM
What a great story and thanks for sharing.  So many memories that will be handed down to generations to come, thanks to your efforts! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Dittos!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.