Reel Seat Problems On Chinese Made All Star Rods???

Started by FloridaFishinFool, March 17, 2019, 10:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaFishinFool

I just found these Abu reels and chinese made All Star brand Shakespeare rods for sale on craigslist in Orlando area.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/d/winter-park-brand-new-star-rod/6830571757.html

His sale description quoted: "I have owned a couple of these and love them but I have two extras. They are brand new 7-foot star bait casting rods Fuji guides, Abu Garcia Revo reels, they retail for 200. I am selling the pair for 150 each for separately for 165 a piece, may consider trades of equal or greater value. Text show contact info for fastest response."

What about the wire ties?

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteveTX

Ive seen them done like that on combo deals they dont want seperated in the store. Its a package deal and only done for shipping and while displaying for sale. So that would be my assumption. Cut them off after you buy it.

Lipripper

I agree with Steve and have seen them like that in the store. You could always ask him about the ties and have him take some pictures with them off before buying them.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FloridaFishinFool

I was assuming this was something he added after purchase. I guess I have never seen this inside a store before. New to me... but I can see how stores might do this to keep products together or from being stolen.

See what I get for making assumptions!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

loomisguy

Uhh , They do that to keep folks from taking the reels off the rods.
I wouldn't use those rods for a tomato stake.

FloridaFishinFool

I've seen it in pawn shops on used equipment. It is always a repair of some sort, and that is what I assumed it was for this guy. A repair on a brand new rod!  :-\

I figured he was having some sort of problem keeping the reel on the rod. I've been wrong before...

SteelHorseCowboy

Sorry man, but you are wrong on this one!

The Revo X on the All Star is one of Academy's biggest combo deals right now. They are set up like that with zip ties to help prevent theft. Many new combos I've seen are like this, it seems to depend on the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

BASS PRO does that on their combos, whether it's all BASS PRO or not, funny thing is if they're out of a combo they can make it themselves, kind of nice actually.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cbburke

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

FloridaFishinFool

Around here when I see something like this something is broke!

SteelHorseCowboy

I went to Academy today in hopes of picking up a Dobyns. Looks like they're rotating stock and their Dobyns selection was slim and scattered, but I took some pics.

First pic, two rows of H2O Express combos and AG Black Max combos. Notice one row of H2O E do not have the zip ties, and the other one does, as well as the BM combos.

Shimano combos.

Quantum combos

Lew's

Same ASM/Revo X combo

The zip ties do not mean anything is broken at all. Low end to moderate priced reels are normally in blister packs with an anti theft device, high end reels are usually in a glass case. These combos with moderately priced reels have zip ties simply to discourage theft. They don't always work. My local Academy is on the edge of a neighborhood called Bawcomville, full of redneck tweakers and thieves. They'll snatch a reel off a rod in a heartbeat then try to return it for a refund.

SteelHorseCowboy

Bawcomville is actually where my dog was stolen too. Those crackheads will steal ANYTHING not nailed down, and half of what is.

FloridaFishinFool

Thanks for posting those SHC!

I have not been in a sporting goods store in years because I am wholesale buyer and involved in the custom and used tackle gear market. So I have no reason to go to those retail type of stores and I certainly don't pay their retail prices either. Not gonna happen. So I missed seeing this come into stores, and since I work for a rod and reel repair shop, when I see this type of thing, it is usually a repair of some sort.

I do see this in pawn shops all the time on beat up used old gear.

Oh hey, did you get the music discs in the mail? Not sure if I recall hearing if you did?

How about that Joe Bonamassa???

Oldfart9999

We have neighborhoods like that SHC, they're called cities. lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

topdsm0138

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 20, 2019, 07:00:12 AM
We have neighborhoods like that SHC, they're called cities. lo lo
Rodney
So do we, they're called Broward & Miami-Dade County...
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont