Pain management

Started by Oldfart9999, March 22, 2019, 05:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I get to see another Doctor today, Dr, Haber of Rochester pain management, these last several months have been the worst I've had to deal with, made me lose interest in most everything. It's the first year I've missed the BPS spring blowout since we got our store 10 or so years ago, it's the first year I haven't been interested in the Classic, or any other tournaments for that matter or even working on my own gear. Back pain is no joke and this year has been the worst I've had, at least the last several months.
I'm actually looking forward to going to the Doctor, the Doctor who is seeing me about this is thinking cortisone shots, maybe more than one, I've had the shots in both knees and both shoulders and can honestly say, they hurt but the after effects make it well worthwhile and I trust it'll be the same with my back.
For you guys like Mike and Bigwrench, my hats off to you for what you're dealing with, words don't say what I feel when I think about you 2 and others like you, mine's bad enough.
For those of you that have pain but shrug it off, DON'T, see a Doctor, find the cause and take care of it before it becomes chronic and starts to sap your strength and the will to do what you want or need. Life is too short and God didn't intend for it to be that way. Superman is just a work of fiction, take care of your self because nobody else will.
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Deadeye

Rodney the Shots I get are simply a Life Saving and Changing Event for me. Prior to having them I was in so much pain I could not walk or stand for more than 10-15 minutes. All I could do was sit on the recliner with  my legs up to relieve some of the pain.

For me it took the 3rd set of shots to have enough to get the real effect of relief. Since then I was re-getting them about every 3-4 months as a Single Set and doing well. Well when your feeling good you tend to put things off and I did as well. Waited 10 months and that was a mistake.

Just getting the needle put in hurt like hell, not going to sugar coat it. But now that I have had the 2nd round in my Lumbar and next Monday will get the 2nd round in my hips, I should be good to go. The difference is amazing.

After doing some work around the house I over-did it and it was so bad that night I couldn't lift my legs to wash them in the shower. Pain would hit I and I would have to grab the wall to keep from falling. If I would of kept up with the Shots I highly doubt I would of had to deal with that.

I hope for you that you find the relief you need and are looking for.

Oldfart9999

Fred, after seeing the pain Doc and finding that my range of motion is excellent(I knew that) it's decided that I'll be getting 4 or 6 shots as a diagnostic, hopefully that will work but if not we go from there. It'll be done at the surgery center where they have the imaging needed to be sure there is no nerve damage done when they do it. I'll be sedated which means my wife will have to drive me home. The Doctor thinks it's the arthritis on the vertebrae causing the problem that's only an educated guess so the process continues. I'm glad they were able to help you and pray that your cancer is taken care of!!! I'm looking forward to getting out on the water and back to the gym.
Rodney

Pacific NW Ron

Rodney, I hope it works out for you and you start feeling better soon.  Thoughts and prayers sent.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Deadeye

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 23, 2019, 07:53:52 AM
Fred, after seeing the pain Doc and finding that my range of motion is excellent(I knew that) it's decided that I'll be getting 4 or 6 shots as a diagnostic, hopefully that will work but if not we go from there. It'll be done at the surgery center where they have the imaging needed to be sure there is no nerve damage done when they do it. I'll be sedated which means my wife will have to drive me home. The Doctor thinks it's the arthritis on the vertebrae causing the problem that's only an educated guess so the process continues. I'm glad they were able to help you and pray that your cancer is taken care of!!! I'm looking forward to getting out on the water and back to the gym.
Rodney

Rodney when I started getting the shots "going under" wasn't an option, so I've never had that done as I've learned to deal with it. But as of this last time my Insurance Company was worked out a deal where instead of going to his own place we use a Surgical Center to do the shots. There I do have that option, but didn't the last time.

There are a bunch of things and types of shots they can give you, so not sure which ones you are getting. Some are a Steroid to fight off the inflammation and others are a numbing agent to see if that is the problem area. Often if the shots work they will offer to do a thing called Rasodimy which is burning the end of the nerves to stop them from sending the pain signals.

I had that done in my Mid-Back where I had fracture 4 vertebras and it has been fine for about 3 years now. I have NOT had that done in my Lumbar or Hips because I am "saving" that for when the shots no longer work for me, which can happen after a period of time.

Hope they work for you like they do for me.

Oldfart9999

Thanks guys, it is appreciated!!!
Rodney

Lipripper

Rodney I'm praying that these shots help you with your pain. My daughter has been dealing with back pain for years and years. She has had spin fusions and tried all there is for pain management and it's hard on her but she keeps keeping on. I don't know how she deals with it.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Hey Lip, thank you for your prayers, they are greatly appreciated. You know with what you're dealing with that you just keep on keeping on, for me, my strength is the Lord, he holds me up when I need it and walks alongside me when I don't, what I need to do he makes possible. I will admit that when I do the shopping I'm sure folks think I'm doing something kinky with the cart they way I hug it to keep going. lo lo ;)
Rodney