Georgia Lake fishing in hot weather

Started by mygreenihc, July 09, 2019, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygreenihc

I know we are not the only ones that deal with this,  but in Georgia, during the summer months, it is hot. During these hotter weather months,  the bite seems to slow way down during daylight hours and I would like to discuss what you do to get around this obstacle. 

Basically,  I am trying to start here is a discussion on what do you think the fish are doing,  where did they go,  and what methods do you use to catch them?

Thanks for your input.  I am anxious to hear what you guys think and how it differs from my opinion (or, more accurately, my guess).

Brad

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: mygreenihc on July 09, 2019, 10:56:54 AM
I know we are not the only ones that deal with this,  but in Georgia, during the summer months, it is hot. During these hotter weather months,  the bite seems to slow way down during daylight hours and I would like to discuss what you do to get around this obstacle. 

Basically,  I am trying to start here is a discussion on what do you think the fish are doing,  where did they go,  and what methods do you use to catch them?

Thanks for your input.  I am anxious to hear what you guys think and how it differs from my opinion (or, more accurately, my guess).

Brad

We are your neighbors to the South, and this summer has been brutal so far. Summer is summer I just think my tolerances are changing because I'm getting older...  lo lo but... seriously speaking, because of these tolerances I have changed the way I fish over the summer.

Summer techniques don't change much, but the time of day and approach of when I fish does. This time of year I relate bass to us (humans). Meaning, when are we most active during the day when we are outside during the summer? For the majority the answer is obvious, during the morning and evening hours. But... what do we do when we are outside during the middle of a summer day?  Seek cover!! We look for shade, and if we find shade with a bit of a breeze its very refreshing!!

How does this relate to bass fishing? Bass become most active when the water cools off bit. Early in the morning and in the evening. But... they hunker down during the middle of the day, and if a bass can find cover (shelter for us) with some current ( just like a breeze for us)  caused by either moving water, wind, or both, then these areas will be the locations I would focus on.

In a nutshell, bass will be trying their best to cool off during the hottest part of the day. 

mygreenihc

Thanks Lou,  I look at it the same way. 

The same scenario's apply up here,  but our lakes are deeper, much cooler in a lot of cases,  and without all the grass cover that creates shade. We see them move out further into deeper water where they locate on shoals,  points, and other structure.  This time of year,  the shad are out there too in deeper water,  so bass have everything they need in one place,  so there is no real need to move until the forage does. 

Then question then becomes,  where is a location that has the forage,  cooler water,  and current?  and how deep do I need to be looking?  Once you find this location,  what do you use to catch them?

Thanks for the input.

Brad

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: mygreenihc on July 09, 2019, 12:51:51 PM
Thanks Lou,  I look at it the same way. 

The same scenario's apply up here,  but our lakes are deeper, much cooler in a lot of cases,  and without all the grass cover that creates shade. We see them move out further into deeper water where they locate on shoals,  points, and other structure.  This time of year,  the shad are out there too in deeper water,  so bass have everything they need in one place,  so there is no real need to move until the forage does. 

Then question then becomes,  where is a location that has the forage,  cooler water,  and current?  and how deep do I need to be looking?  Once you find this location,  what do you use to catch them?

Thanks for the input.

Brad

You brought up good points Brad, my approach was more geared towards shallow water fishing versus deep water scenarios. Honestly, I'm out of my depth (no pun intended lo)  when it comes to deep water. I'm swamp fishing kind of angler. ;)

mygreenihc

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 09, 2019, 01:00:20 PM
I'm swamp fishing kind of angler. ;)

I know that you are saying this in jest,  but this has been,  by far, my biggest obstacle to overcome since moving from the South Alabama/ Northwest Florida area.  I grew up fishing shallow water because that was all that there was.  I never learned the concept of deeper water,  but once I moved up here,  it was like "Where is the stuff you fish around?".  Seriously,  I had never seen rocks at the lake,  now that is where I have to fish, that's all there is.

To me, "Structure or cover" always meant logs,  grass, or something physically there to hide in. Now,  I have included other things in my definition and it can include deeper water or even the edge of the muddy water where it meets clearer water.  Anywhere that the fish feels secure and has his needs met.

Your comments are the reason that I started this thread and I appreciate your participation.

Brad

zippyduck

Summer up here is no different. We have both shallow and deep lakes.

I approach Shallow lakes by fishing the weeds next to a drop off. That area gives them all they need, cover, a safe retreat, and food. I use t-rigs, punching rigs, small swimbaits along the edges, cranks on the drop off points, and of course Nu-tech jigs.
Find the small differences in the edges and it will hold fish.

I fish deep lakes by finding areas that have steep banks next to shallow flats. Yes also points are great but the bluff walls that are adjacent to flats will hold more fish as they are able to pin bait against the wall and chase them on the flats at night.
Jigs and t-rigs are my favorite weapons but a spinnerbait or squarebill have been the ticket many times.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Great topic! I'm heading out in the morning and Lou and Zippy have it down! The bluff walls and structure will be my targets. When the sun comes out I'll be throwing T-rigged and C-rigged ribbon tail worms along with NuTech jigs w/ twin tail grubs.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

mygreenihc

Good Luck PM.  I will be heading out tomorrow night for a 7 pm to 2 am tournament.  As luck would have it,  I have never been to this part of the lake,  so planning will be done by map.  The rest will be done in the dark.   ~sweat

Brad

Princeton_Man

Quote from: mygreenihc on July 11, 2019, 04:06:17 PM
Good Luck PM.  I will be heading out tomorrow night for a 7 pm to 2 am tournament.  As luck would have it,  I have never been to this part of the lake,  so planning will be done by map.  The rest will be done in the dark.   ~sweat

Brad

Jig with a craw trailer got me a smallie on a ledge and a nice Spot off a bridge piling. I had a small electrical issue that forced me to quit early but I think I had a plan that would have produced more if I'd stayed longer.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

I have caught the majority of my biggest fish including my PB largemouth in the heat of the afternoon in summer. And all the bigger ones have come from water 12 ft deep or deeper.

Right now we are out of post-spawn and in the heart of summer. I take a two-prong approach where if there is visible cover shallow I go to that first. I was taught to fish cover from the outside to inside and from different angles so I usually start with a swimbait or lipless crank or squarebill and fish the outside edges. If that doesn't get me any takers then I will work across the top of the cover with a frog or rat bait. Still no takers and I start to go into the cover with a jig or T-rigged plastic and see if I can score anything that way. If not, then I go to plan #2 and this is the part that I do different this time of year.

Plan # 2 is fishing deep (or deeper - I know they are subjective terms) and since I am currently bank bound I will tie on a 12" - 18" worm on a C-rig. If I can get away with it I will also throw deep cranks.

Things can (but not necessarily will) get a little different if there are smallmouth in a particular body of water.

Those are my starting points for summer fishing.  :)

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: mygreenihc on July 11, 2019, 04:06:17 PM

Brad

So?? How was the tournament??

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 15, 2019, 10:44:51 AM
So?? How was the tournament??
No response can mean a couple of things. One good one not so good.  lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on July 18, 2019, 04:55:04 PM
No response can mean a couple of things. One good one not so good.  lo

Time will tell...  lo