Claytor Lake Fishing Report - 7/10/19

Started by Princeton_Man, July 10, 2019, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Launched from the State park 05:30. Mostly cloudy sky and a light breeze all morning. Surface temps around 80. Water was stained with 2+ feet visibility. Picked up a smallie using a jig off the ledge across from the state park and a decent spot from a bridge piling before having to pull out early due to an electrical issue.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

Sorry to hear an electrical issue cut your trip short Jim. Appreciate you sharing your report.  ~beer~

zippyduck

Was the electrical issue an under charged battery? Or a real problem?
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: zippyduck on July 10, 2019, 07:18:35 PM
Was the electrical issue an under charged battery? Or a real problem?
The Ultrex was just shutting down. It was acting like an auto resetting breaker but, my breaker is manual reset. It happened once back during the Veteran's Fishing event and I discovered one of the battery terminals was loose. Thought that was all it was.  Today, each time it died it took more time before it came back and eventually didn't come back.  Real hard to fish without it or an anchor.

I was thinking it was the Ultrex so, I pulled out my Fluke meter as soon as I got home and was preparing to call Minn Kota. I had voltage at the power socket but not coming to through the plug to the Ultrex. I was able to tighten the screw on the positive side of the plug nearly a full turn and the Ultrex powered right up. I'm hoping to get out early one morning this weekend to confirm it's fixed. I may just eliminate the plug/socket all together if I have anymore issues with it.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

I hard wired my new trolling motor as the plug caused me so many issues on the old one.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

Same exact solution here. I fought it and finally hardwired mine in. Just wasn't worth the cost of a new plug that I would have had to order and I was ready to fish. I still have the breaker in but trying to get all the voltage from my old plug was not happening consistently. Screwed up two trips fishing while I jacked with it  trying to make it work. Enough is enough  ~bb

Oh and great short report.  :)