Lake Keowee fishing report 07_17_2019

Started by mygreenihc, July 18, 2019, 03:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygreenihc

I was invited to go with a buddy after work yesterday.  Keowee is his home lake and he has been struggling there this summer.  He does not fish crank baits at all,  but wanted to test a theory,  so we went to fish with nothing but crank baits and see what happened. 

We arrived at South Cove ramp a few minutes after 6 pm and fished until dark.  I threw a couple different crankbaits,  but only caught fish on a deep running Megabass flap slap in "woops"y french shad.  I am not sure who came up with that name,  but that is what it says.

The water surface temp on arrival was a blistering 88 degrees and you could see the bottom at 15 foot deep. 

We fished three hours and caught 7 fish between us,  all spots.  Five of the fish were 14 inch keepers,  but we had one 2.5 pound spot and one 3.3 pound spot. 

We fished some points with nothing to show for it.  We then started looking at humps, brush piles and ditches,  but found nothing there either.  We caught three fish around docks in pockets,  but did our best on a stretch of rip rap in 10 foot of water.  Every fish that we caught came out of shallow water.

All in all,  it was a decent outing considering it is the hardest fishing time of the year for this lake.

Brad

Mike Cork

Sounds like a great trip, especially for just a couple hours before dark in the blistering heat... Thanks for the report.

So did you're buddy figure out the crankbait issues he was having?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Gotta love those after work outings. Sounds like it was a fun trip, especially when bass are being caught. Thank you for sharing. No pics??  ;PHO) ;PHO)??  ~beer~

SteveTX

Thanks for the report. Glad you guys caught some fish in less than stellar conditions.  ~c~

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching there and for sharing the trip with us also  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

mygreenihc

Quote from: Mike Cork on July 19, 2019, 12:47:03 PM
So did you're buddy figure out the crankbait issues he was having?

Yeah,  he actually used one!  =)  He is one of those type of guys that can clean your clock when you are fishing his lake and they are biting what he is throwing.  But,  when they quit biting his way of fishing,  he does not know what to do.  You know as well as I do that sometimes they just are not biting anything very well,  but other times,  you have to use what they want if you want to catch them.  He has a limited arsenal and does not venture much outside if it.  He did catch four on a crankbait though,  so maybe he will gain some confidence in them and up his game.

Brad

mygreenihc

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 19, 2019, 02:16:39 PM
Thank you for sharing. No pics??  ;PHO) ;PHO) ??  ~beer~

Man,  you know very well how I am with pictures.  ~b~   I will have to work on the issue.  I have a mental block....

Brad

mygreenihc

Actually,  I do have one that I forgot about.  It was the biggest one of the day.  A spot weighing in at 3.3 pounds.

https://i.imgur.com/dYAkI9o.jpg[/img]]

Brad