Clear Fork Reservoir Ohio Bass Fishing

Started by Bigbass201, July 27, 2019, 11:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbass201

I finally made my way back down to Clear Fork Reservoir in Ohio.   It's been a little while since I last fished that reservoir.  I was surprised at the amount of anglers out there fishing on a Monday.  The one good thing I came across was the weeds.  The lake had plenty of weeds when I was there.  I managed to piece a decent morning together before the heat the got the better of me around noon.  The best baits were a popper, squarebill crankbait, bladed jig, and jerkbait.  If your interested in watching the video I'll post a link below.  I don't want to post the video in this section. 

R & J Bass Fishing Videos

https://rumble.com/c/c-364035

Bud Kennedy

Thanks for posting the Clearfork video.  This is the lake where it all started for me back in the 50s.  We lived a couple of miles from the lake and my brother would take me there on his bicycle every once in a while.  Your video was showing a couple locations that I fondly remember while growing up through my teen years.  The dam area was always productive but appears to be more available than when I was a kid.  Fishing near the dam and the North shore was not permitted in those days but we would sneak over there from time to time.  Thanks for helping me remember times of my youth.

Bigbass201

Bud, 

Do you know when the lake was dammed up?  It's produced some big sacks in tournaments the last couple years.  The dam area is all bouyed off where the water flows over and most of the south end.  The north end is open to fishing for about 150 or so yards before you get to the bouy's.  That would be a neat lake to grow up on.  I don't think it had muskie back then, but I could be wrong.

Bud Kennedy

The dam was built in 1949 and it took a number of years to fill the area that is now the lake.  The Muskie began to be caught in the early 60s but now I understand it is quite productive for Muskie.  Initially the lake was mostly Catfish with limited bass, crappie and perch but from the reports I am reading the bass have really done well.  The lake was built as a water source for Mansfield that in those days was a growing manufacturing area.   Most of my fishing in that area was done at local farm ponds that could produce excellent bass fishing opportunities.  I often wonder how those ponds are doing now.

In the creek channel are multiple farm buildings that were not torn down for the flooding of the area when the dam was completed.  The muskie guys always fished that channel and was not uncommon for them to get snagged up on some of the old farm buildings.

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bigbass201

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 28, 2019, 06:07:39 PM
The dam was built in 1949 and it took a number of years to fill the area that is now the lake.  The Muskie began to be caught in the early 60s but now I understand it is quite productive for Muskie.  Initially the lake was mostly Catfish with limited bass, crappie and perch but from the reports I am reading the bass have really done well.  The lake was built as a water source for Mansfield that in those days was a growing manufacturing area.   Most of my fishing in that area was done at local farm ponds that could produce excellent bass fishing opportunities.  I often wonder how those ponds are doing now.

In the creek channel are multiple farm buildings that were not torn down for the flooding of the area when the dam was completed.  The muskie guys always fished that channel and was not uncommon for them to get snagged up on some of the old farm buildings.

Extremely interesting about the farm buildings.  I wish I still had my side imaging.  That would be cool to see.  Thanks for the information Bud.