BC Brakes

Started by Flat Rock, August 19, 2019, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Rock

Now that I am casting pretty consistently, I'm ready to begin to back off on the brakes and spool tension.  I watched a few vids on uTube and I came across one that talked about using odd pin settings.   

This got me to thinking...  Why or what is the benefit to using even pin settings ?   I mean if 2 is not enough and 4 is too much, why not just use 3 ?   And if you want a freer spool but don't want a complete free spool.. why not just use 1 pin just to give just a little brake drag ?

LgMouthGambler

What kind of reels are you referring to?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

I believe you bought a Daiwa fuego. If that is true then you have no pins. I would not try to remove the side plates if I was you.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Flat Rock

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 20, 2019, 04:09:49 AM
What kind of reels are you referring to?

<")))>{

At this moment a Lews Tourn that has 4 pins, 2 pins on is factory default.   I believe one of the vids I was looking at was a Kastking.  I wouldn't think brand  matter, centrifugal brake is just that and each pin adds a certain amount of drag.  Of course the guys would talk about thumb control.  I think the biggest reason they talked about was spool freedom and allowing line to drop straight down and being able to feel what's happening.   I doubt I'll ever get to that point, but I have found I can cast a lot further, flip a lot easier with less effort.

LgMouthGambler

Set spool tension to just eliminate "side to side" play. Then, set the brakes to where you are comfotable. There is no set "standard", everyones ability/style will be different, and will cause different settings of the brakes to be used.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Flat Rock

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 20, 2019, 09:13:49 AM
Set spool tension to just eliminate "side to side" play. Then, set the brakes to where you are comfotable. There is no set "standard", everyones ability/style will be different, and will cause different settings of the brakes to be used.

Thanks... That makes sense.   I've just seen/heard that you had to set the pins in pairs... I just never understood why. 

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Flat Rock on August 20, 2019, 03:26:37 PM

Thanks... That makes sense.   I've just seen/heard that you had to set the pins in pairs... I just never understood why.

Nah, not enough weight to make a difference. But I did have a lot of fun messing with a past member on it.  lo Good times.  ~beer~