What happens in a bass boat 0-90 mph

Started by Wizard, August 25, 2019, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

This is personal experience in a 21 ft, Blazer with a 300 hp, 2 stroke.

At 60 mph your hat will fly off your head.
At 70 mph your eyes will start to tear.
At 80 mph the hull is out of the water and you are riding on the prop. Put that image into your mind and chew on it.
At 90 mph the Blazer started to chine walk. From now on you will be fighting the wheel to keep the boat on line.
The Blazer with a 300 is faster than 90 mph. I was not that familiar with the Blazer and backed the throttle.
90 mph is faster than you need to go. I wasn't scared but probably puckered a little. If you try this use an older style flotation that will not come off if you leave the boat. Use a foot throttle, wheel trim, kill switch and helmet. If you can, balance the boat.

Wizard

Mike Cork

Sounds about right... I've learned that mid 60's is comfortable and plenty fast enough for me.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Nutoy

Loose is fast. If it didn't start chine walking til 90, you're good to go.
Congrats on the big 90.
My Champ starts walking at around 73-74. At 78 you better be paying attention to other boat wakes or you can get into trouble fast.

Deadeye

I rode in a Triton at the Bass Elites at Palatka where they were giving demo rides.

At about 73-75 it started walking so bad I had to hang on and asked the Demo Driver if that was the Chine Walk people talk about.

He said "no it's from the other wakes". There were none that I could see. Must of pissed him off as he took me straight back to the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye

I normally run about 40-45. Can do 58  wide open but don't feel the need.

If I had a larger boat n motor with the hand trim and hotfoot, I'd probably run faster if I wanted to.

WTodd

You left this out (passenger point of view); at 60 I pull out my 9MM, at 70 I put it to the head of the driver......at that point we start slowing down a lot.

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 26, 2019, 08:02:59 AM
Sounds about right... I've learned that mid 60's is comfortable and plenty fast enough for me.

what's that saying?  there are no 'old, bold pilots...'

;D ;D

zippyduck

I found mine starts to chine walk at 70. Mid 60's feels good but I think I will stay at the lower 60's just in case I need to turn fast.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

BarryFL

Running around in a bass boat at 70mph plus is juvenile. But if it stiffens your rod, have at it.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Bud Kennedy

Lets see......If I think really really hard I could try to imagine 90MPH in a boat.   NOPE  Can't even squint hard enoug  to imagine doing something so dang dumb.  I go old man speed.  30-45 mph is about it and even then if I had turn signals I would leave the left blinker on. 

FD

In the 2000's I was a co-angler / hostage in a bullet with a 250 Opti. 90 mph across Harris scared the begeesus out of me.

My 20x2 doesn't start to walk until around 72. It comes out of it quick with the proper steering inputs and will top out at 77. I've only done that twice. When I first got it and last week when I put it back in the water.

At 60 it's a smooth and solid ride and that's where I top out most of the time.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

SHC286

I broke 3 ribs coming off an inner tube pulled behind a ski boat at 45 mph. Almost lost consciousness, had extreme difficulty breathing, ruptured eardrum. Of course I was wearing flotation, it's required by law here and is just common sense. It took a moment to roll onto my back.
Just letting y'all know so you can keep in mind, 90 mph is twice that speed.

Also keep in mind, these words of caution are coming from a guy who won't hesitate to do 90 mph on a backroad on a motorcycle. And I know how bad motorcycle wrecks hurt too.

Oldfart9999

I'll stick to 90 on 4 wheels only if I'm driving thank you.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

big g

At that speed a big gator can not react fast enough to get out of your way.  We have loads of big gator in our canals.  It will be a big problem.
It's just too fast.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Dan21XRS

Mine tops out at 84mph with the 250...  Shoulda went with the 300R...  Dan 

oldjim

I have turn signals and brake lights on my boat, I put the brake light on at 60
oldjim

SteveTX

50 on a glass lake was top for my 115 2 stroke. My boat has never even spooked anyone on speed alone.  lo