CaddyALYanks "Bait Monkey YOU'RE FIRED" !!! (Confessional) Dos.....

Started by Lee Smith, November 01, 2019, 08:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bassinlou on January 20, 2020, 01:39:16 PM
You ever purchase a Champion or higher, and  you will find yourself slowly replacing your entire rod line up. That's what happened to me.
That's what I'm afraid of.

While I was on the phone with Nathan from Dobyns I asked him when the Xtasy 725 C was gonna be available.   He said 1 to 2 months.

I'm gonna start saving for it in February.  :surrender:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fishballer06 on January 20, 2020, 12:55:59 PM
Better order a new reel and some line to go with it. It's the only proper way to order a new rod.
I'm working on both as I write this. Should be ordering the reel within the next couple days. I'm still trying to decide what line to put on it.

TWBryan

Found a quantum Iconpt for about $50. I plan to use it on a short rod and move the fuego to the fuego rod.
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

Smallie_Stalker

Reel and line ordered for the new Dobyns DC 736 CB Glass rod.

For the reel I went back and forth between a Daiwa Tatula 200 and a Lew's BB1 Pro Speed Spool PRS1SHZL. I really liked the idea of the externally adjustable centrifugal brakes on the Lew's but after a couple days of comparison shopping I couldn't find one within my budget so I went with the Daiwa.

Rod delivery is listed for tomorrow. Reel and braid expected on Friday, but they're coming USPS and with my issues with them you never know.  ::)

I found a seller on fleabay that was down to their last one left on the Daiwa.  I talked them down to $96 including shipping and I had a coupon and some fleabay bucks so I got it for really cheap.

On the braid, I don't usually do this but I thought it would look slick to have the braid match the rod colors. Imagine if I had gone with the Shimano SLX XT fot the reel.  :o

Now through the entire weekend is looking pretty busy for me but I'll try to get some pics posted this time around.

TWBryan

smallie-stalker, smokin' deal you got the reel.  ~c~

Just ordered rat parts from monster tackle..

SteveTX

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 22, 2020, 11:39:21 AM
On the braid, I don't usually do this but I thought it would look slick to have the braid match the rod colors. Imagine if I had gone with the Shimano SLX XT fot the reel.  :o
~shhh The LgMouthGambler is showing in you.  ~roflmao

Dink Dawg

Crazy,  I just picked up a Tatula 200 to put on the 805CB Glass.  Put it on the 764CB with 3/4 oz. the set it up.  It outcasts my BB1's.  I'm dialed for the up coming year and some.  I wish I could have found it for 96 bucks.  That's a steal. Sweet Smallie.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Dink Dawg on January 22, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
Crazy,  I just picked up a Tatula 200 to put on the 805CB Glass.  Put it on the 764CB with 3/4 oz. the set it up.  It outcasts my BB1's.  I'm dialed for the up coming year and some.  I wish I could have found it for 96 bucks.  That's a steal. Sweet Smallie.

Thanks Doug. And thanks for the info. ~beer~  Now I'm a bit more at ease about getting the Daiwa.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SteveTX on January 22, 2020, 08:39:47 PM
~shhh The LgMouthGambler is showing in you.  ~roflmao

Steve, you have no idea the things that are running through my mind reel wise, and matt is only  about 1/2 to blame for them.  lo

Smallie_Stalker

So my Dobyns DC 736 CB arrived early this morning. And in a surprising twist the Daiwa Tatula 200 showed up about an hour later.

I haven't put the reel on the rod yet. I'm waiting on the braid that is supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll spool it up and then take pics before I pull the reel back off so I can take the plastic off the cork and seal it with U-40.

I've got to get busy on some of this stuff. I've only got 2 or 3 months before the ice is gone!

This is what I saw when I went out for my morning walk. What a way to start the day!

Lipripper

Glad it got there and it looks like the tube isn't bent either.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Lipripper on January 23, 2020, 01:13:11 PM
Glad it got there and it looks like the tube isn't bent either.  lo lo

Nope!  ~sun

This tube was HEAVY duty! And man was the rod padded well inside. Dobyns should give the rest of the industry a class on how to pack a rod for shipping!  ~bb

fishballer06

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 23, 2020, 01:19:02 PM
Nope!  ~sun

This tube was HEAVY duty! And man was the rod padded well inside. Dobyns should give the rest of the industry a class on how to pack a rod for shipping!  ~bb

After my recent experience with another online retailer, I fully agree.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new setup!
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

apiazza

Wally world was resetting the store so there was some fishing tackle clearanced. Unfortunately I'm probably a few days late but $2 caffeine shads? Yup. $1 1/4oz jigs? I'll give them a shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Quote from: apiazza on January 23, 2020, 05:40:48 PM
Wally world was resetting the store so there was some fishing tackle clearanced. Unfortunately I'm probably a few days late but $2 caffeine shads? Yup. $1 1/4oz jigs? I'll give them a shot.

Not a bad haul. ~c~ Last year mine had a huge reset in the fishing tackle. I was late as well but still scored pretty good. Was watching this year but so far nothing.

apiazza

Quote from: SteveTX on January 23, 2020, 06:58:35 PM
Not a bad haul. ~c~ Last year mine had a huge reset in the fishing tackle. I was late as well but still scored pretty good. Was watching this year but so far nothing.
I almost bought them out of all of them but I figured if the walmart trip for potatoes and ketchup turned into $30 I get the wife eye roll lol

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

Quote from: apiazza on January 23, 2020, 08:06:37 PM
I almost bought them out of all of them but I figured if the walmart trip for potatoes and ketchup turned into $30 I get the wife eye roll lol

~roflmao ~roflmao  ~roflmao Just tell her it's inflation.  ;D

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 24, 2020, 06:54:06 AM
The wife roll eye is worse than the bill!!! lo
Rodney
That's for sure but then again Rodney as long as we have been married we are use to the eye roll.  ;D

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Lipripper on January 24, 2020, 08:49:47 AM
That's for sure but then again Rodney as long as we have been married we are use to the eye roll.  ;D

I didn't know you and Rodney were married. Congratulations! You'll make a cute couple.  ~roflmao

TWBryan

Won five Lunkerhunt Kraken spinnerbaits for $20. Free shipping.

Smallie_Stalker

Tried my best with the pics.  I can't get the pic I wanted which was a view down the blank from the cork handle down.

Used to be I could fill a reel spool in about 10 minutes. Took me over an hour with this because of my tremors.

I may have to start paying someone to do it for me.

TWBryan

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: TWBryan on January 24, 2020, 03:59:41 PM
Those look like great pics to me. Nice rig! :)
Thank you sir!

The reel is safely back in it's box for now until.I get the cork on the rod sealed. Then I'll put it all back together, put it in it's respective rod and reel Gloves and wait for the hard water season to end.

Shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 more months.

Lipripper

Looks good Smallie and I hear you on it taking longer to put line on a reel. ~sweat

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Lipripper on January 24, 2020, 04:42:04 PM
Looks good Smallie and I hear you on it taking longer to put line on a reel. ~sweat

Thanks Lip. The 2 hardest parts for me were threading the line onto the reel and tying the knots. The small diameter of the 2 lines didn't help either.  ???