No More Motorguide

Started by Bud Kennedy, November 07, 2019, 03:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

After repairing my 20+ year old troller it still just does not cut it.  The motor itself seems to be shot and just cannot deliver the power it once had.  So. to make a long story short, I just ordered a shiny new Minn Kota Maximum 80.  This appears to be the best fit for my boat and will still allow my Ranger cover to fit properly.  I have no need for all the fancy stuff so I just went plain and simple.  Hopefully next week sometime I will be able to get it installed.

One thing for sure a bass boat without a fully functional trolling motor is just a waste.  I guess if I only buy a replacement motor once every 20 years that isn't too bad.  We don't have any motorguide service centers in our area but multiple locations for Minn Kota service so Minn Kota was the logical choice.

Lipripper

Good for you Bud and fishing the river with it's current would for sure be hard without a fully functional TM. Your going to have to plant some more money trees in your back yard.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

You may have to have new holes drilled in the fiberglass for the mounting plate. Other than that it shouldn't be too much of a project.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Maxumm is very good TM. It will serve you well for a long time. Plus hold on, cuz it will pull your boat hard. Enjoy!!

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on November 07, 2019, 05:06:15 PM
You may have to have new holes drilled in the fiberglass for the mounting plate. Other than that it shouldn't be too much of a project.

Fortunately no new holes will be needed.  The Maxxum has alternate holes that fit the old motorguide mount.

Bud Kennedy

I bought the new motor from Jones Trolling Motor.  Their reputation is so good I felt comfortable buying from them.  After talking on the phone with them today, you quickly understood that these guys know what they are talking about and answered all of my questions about Motorguide and Minn Kota.  Very knowledgable about both types of motors and were very good at explaining all of the features in a language that I could understand.  Very pleased with their selling effort and the price was good but not really spectacular just good and that works for me.

Oldfart9999

The Maxxum has been around a long time and is a proven rugged TM, you'll be happy with it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Glad you got a new TM Bud! Life's too short to have to fix something every time you need use it.  ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

The most unusual part about this purchase is that I did not make the selection or the decision to buy.  She who shall be obeyed was the driving force.  She picked the motor and demanded I make the purchase.  I guess that is what you get when your wife is also your fishing partner and understands the need for purchases like this one.  She was in full understanding that I was not making the decision and was looking for a more economical solution.  I am glad she did.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 07, 2019, 05:51:02 PM
Very pleased with their selling effort and the price was good but not really spectacular just good and that works for me.

A decent price and great service is money well spent over the best deal in town without the service or even worse crappy service.  ~c~

Donald Garner

Congrats on the purchase of your new trolling motor.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Captsteve

Congratulations

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

Glad to hear you got it all squared away to your satisfaction and can get back out on the water Bud.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire