Garage door help

Started by CraigP83, January 21, 2020, 07:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigP83

I'm having an issue where the remotes for my garage door are working intermittently. It usually happens when my wife leaves for work in the morning and tries to shut the door behind her. Thought it was low battery  in the remote but mine works intermittently also. Almost never happens when she is coming home after work and opening the door. Anybody ever dealt with something similar?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

apenland01

Did you replace the batteries in both remotes at the same time?  Same problem?  If so, I would reprogram them and see if the problem persists.

Deadeye

Sunlight on the Safety Eyes.

If it is only happening during one part of the Day, then I would BET that Sunlight is at the correct angle to hit one of the Safety Eyes that protect the door from closing on Kids and Pets.

The Sun hitting the Eye tells the Opener that Something is in the Doorway and to not Close.

TNDiver

I have had a similar problem where I have to move the visor down to better aim it. Especially when I am closer to the unit.   Is the car backed into the garage facing away form the unit and facing it when pulling in?   

Seems to work better with distance, like pulling in from the street or at the street.  May just be that you need to focus it more the closer you are to it.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Are they Chamerlain? My MIL's garage has a Chamberlain garage door opener and all of the remotes behave that way. I've bought several over the years and every one does the same thing after a while. I've suspected that it has to do with leaving them in the car during very cold and very hot weather. I have one new one that stays in our home, I use it to open her garage from inside if one of us needs access. That remote has never had a problem.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

CraigP83

Got a few good suggestions here. It's a lift master, but I happens most after she backs out of the garage in the morning and tries to shut the door. Its winter in MN so I don't think sunlight is the issue since I haven't seen the sun I a month (at least it feels that way). But since she doesn't have the issue after her 1 hour commute home I think the temp could be a factor.  I brought my remote in the house last night and let her use it and it worked. So I'm going to order up new batteries and keep the remote indoors for a few more nights to test the theory

TNDiver

I lived in the UP of Michigan for 4 years and yeah, the cold messes with a lot of things!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

coldfront

Quote from: Deadeye on January 21, 2020, 08:43:48 AM
Sunlight on the Safety Eyes.

If it is only happening during one part of the Day, then I would BET that Sunlight is at the correct angle to hit one of the Safety Eyes that protect the door from closing on Kids and Pets.

The Sun hitting the Eye tells the Opener that Something is in the Doorway and to not Close.

check alignment.  and check for spider webs/debris.

Captsteve

Lube the little wheel axles....wd-40

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Captsteve

Steve
Headed for the Lake

coldfront

Quote from: CraigP83 on January 22, 2020, 06:38:13 AM
Got a few good suggestions here. It's a lift master, but I happens most after she backs out of the garage in the morning and tries to shut the door. Its winter in MN so I don't think sunlight is the issue since I haven't seen the sun I a month (at least it feels that way). But since she doesn't have the issue after her 1 hour commute home I think the temp could be a factor.  I brought my remote in the house last night and let her use it and it worked. So I'm going to order up new batteries and keep the remote indoors for a few more nights to test the theory

find the fix yet?

CraigP83

Quote from: coldfront on January 23, 2020, 10:37:26 AM
find the fix yet?
It's worked 2 days in a row just by bringing the remote indoors overnight. Gotta be temp related