Flouro options

Started by apiazza, January 25, 2020, 02:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

I'm interested in trying out some fluorocarbon. I typically throw straight braid or braid to mono at the moment. With straight mono on my finesse spinner. Seems like the most common straight flouro techniques are cranking and finesse. Any other rigs I should consider running it? I'm thinking about using it as a leader in replace of mono.

Suggested brands and models? Also, what is the difference between flouro leader and flouro main line?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

Any other rigs I should consider running it?

Some guys like it on jerkbaits and any bottom contact rig, finesse to power fishing. Might also want to consider it any time you are fishing rock (and some say wood also) with any technique.

Suggested brands and models?

Lots of good brands out there. Our sponsor K9 Fishing has a quickly growing following and that includes a recent win at the pro level. Several members here have said it is a really good line and now use it as their flouro of choice. Best of all they have 550 yd. spools for $20 and UB members get a 10% discount using the code UB1 at checkout. You won't find a spool of this quality flouro at that price anywhere else.  ~bb

Give them a look here: https://www.k9fishing.com/

Also, what is the difference between flouro leader and flouro main line?

It's in the formulation of the line. The goals in creating a flouro as a main line low to no memory (that's a biggie), soft and supple so it lays on the spool well and reduces backlashes, and better knot strength and retention without slipping or breaking  Knots are the weakest part of any flouo.

Flouro leader is generally thicker diameter for the same pound test and stiffer since it doesn't have to lay in layers on a spool. It is also said to be even more abrasion resistant than mainline flouro.

Just a couple of pieces  of info as an FYI - ALL flouro has some stretch to it, and ALL flouro is actually visible underwater despite the hype on both counts. That's why many companies make some form of low-vis flouro.
(Some even make a hi-vis flouro version too!)

Just some food for thought. That's my $.02
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pferox

Leader material isn't designed to be wrapped on a spool more than a few times.  It is stiff, has a lot of memory, is very hard stuff, and does what it is intended for exceptionally well.  Of course that is as an abrasive resistant terminal line.

The line on the other hand is more manageable on a reel. for the most part.  I haven't tried to spool any flouro onto a reel so can't say much about it.

I use both mono and Flouro as leader materials and have found that I can go a few lb tests lower on my flouro leader as compared to my mono leaders. 
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

apiazza

Good info, I appreciate it. For those using flouro as a leader, do you use actual flouro leader of main? From the sounds of it, under most instances using a main as a leader will work fine.

Princeton_Man

For fluorocarbon, I'm a top shelf only guy, Seaguar Tatsu. It's the best I've ever used. However, it's too pricey for most of my spinning rigs as a primary line. I stick with braid on everything except my drop shot rig. I don't have near as much trouble with line twist and the related problems on my drop shot rig, so I do spool it with Tat. As for a fluoro leader on braid, there are many good lines to choose from.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pferox

When I'm going for toothy critters like Spanish Mackerel and Super Small sharks I prefer using leader material, a few inches or feet at a time.

When fishing for snook and other fish that aren't as toothy, but there is a lot of abrasion around I prefer to use a main line product, and put a few yards on at a time.

As for knots, a double uni works well when joining mono to flouro, but for braid to flouro I prefer a slim beauty knot, although there are other knots that work as well and are probably easier to tie.

I never allow a knot to pass through a level wind found on a baitcaster, it is very detrimental for both the knot, and the reel.  For those instances, I'm only using a rod's length of leader material of any kind.

I've also found that under high stress fights, with larger fish, Flouro works better as leader material when tying to braid, because especially with a continually cinching knot like the double uni knot as an example, the braid will literally continue to cut into the mono until it has cut through it.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Deadeye

Best I've found so far so my needs is Sunline Assassin. Soft and limp and easy to cast. Low memory. Great abrasion resistance.

I use it for Cranking (12 & 15 lb.) and for an alternate for Flipping Jigs (20 lb).

Some water I fish it makes no difference if I use Braid or the Fluor, on some others it seems that I get more and better bites with the Flouro.

I find that flouro has a Better Sensitivity than Mono has.

Interestingly I did a TON of research into Mono vs Flouro and found that there is quite a bit of hype on the stretch issue. In actual testing there is not much difference and in some cases Flouro stretched more than a similar Mono.

Mono Floats. Flouro Sinks. Remember that for things like a Carolina Rig.

apiazza

I ordered a 550yrd spool of the k9 flouro in 14#. I'm going to spool it on my cranking rod and try it as a leader on my jig rod. I'll stick to mono on my finesse but thinking of going braid to leader on that as well.

coldfront

Quote from: apiazza on January 25, 2020, 03:04:34 PM
Good info, I appreciate it. For those using flouro as a leader, do you use actual flouro leader of main? From the sounds of it, under most instances using a main as a leader will work fine.

I use flouro leaders for spinning applications.  typically 6 or 8 lb test.  double uni knot to connect.
I use flouro for crankbaits, bottom applications like jigs, t-rigs.

appreciate the abrasion resistance that flouro provides around all the rock, mussels I try to bump my baits through. 

for casting applications:  preference is for 10-12 pound line.  less 'memory' to deal with.
for some heavier applications (bigger swimbaits) I am moving up to include some 14/15# flouro.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Deadeye on January 26, 2020, 09:25:32 AM
in some cases Flouro stretched more than a similar Mono.

Excellent point Fred. And once flouro stretches it stays stretched whereas mono (supposedly) does not.

SteveTX

That is very reasonable for fluro. I may have to try some k9 flouro this year.

apenland01

Quote from: apiazza on January 26, 2020, 10:13:46 AM
I ordered a 550yrd spool of the k9 flouro in 14#. I'm going to spool it on my cranking rod and try it as a leader on my jig rod. I'll stick to mono on my finesse but thinking of going braid to leader on that as well.

You are going to love this for your moving baits.  It's a fluoro blend, so it has a bit of stretch.  It's got excellent knot strength, which I really like.  Abrasion resistance is also very good.  I use this on my spinning reels and it behaves very well.  The 10lb goes on my 2000 size reels and 12lb on 3000 size.  It's plays very nice and don't get wind knots in it like regular fluoro.

fishballer06

I use fluoro for basically all my applications other than topwater, and even then I will throw a buzzbait on FC as well.

That being said - Sunline Sniper FC and PLine Tactical are my go-to's. Seaguar Tatsu is the best of the best, but it's also nearly double the cost of the other two lines I mentioned. While you're buying your line, do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of KVD Line and Lure Conditioner.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

WesTex87

Going to have to try K9 floro at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

apiazza

Quote from: fishballer06 on January 27, 2020, 07:51:28 AM
I use fluoro for basically all my applications other than topwater, and even then I will throw a buzzbait on FC as well.

That being said - Sunline Sniper FC and PLine Tactical are my go-to's. Seaguar Tatsu is the best of the best, but it's also nearly double the cost of the other two lines I mentioned. While you're buying your line, do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of KVD Line and Lure Conditioner.
Interesting you mention the line conditioner. I have never tried it and kind of assumed it was a bit of a gimmick and if it did work, was probably more harmful than good. I'll given it a shot. I'll order that along with a bottle of U40 that I also need.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ike8120

Quote from: apiazza on January 28, 2020, 11:44:27 PM
Interesting you mention the line conditioner. I have never tried it and kind of assumed it was a bit of a gimmick and if it did work, was probably more harmful than good. I'll given it a shot. I'll order that along with a bottle of U40 that I also need.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Try the new KastKing Kovert.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

fishballer06

Quote from: apiazza on January 28, 2020, 11:44:27 PM

There are a few different line conditioners out there, however, very few actually work, or are even good for your line.

Prime example - Reel Magic has been around forever and it's sold everywhere. However, it is petroleum based and is actually flamable. Definitely not something that I would ever recommend anyone putting on their line.

Another big brand is Reel Snot. Ike actually endorses them. However, I've found this stuff to have a consistency like actual snot, and it leaves your entire spool and reel feeling greasy for hours.

From all my testing, the KVD Line and Lure is the best and it leaves no residue behind. I can't recommend it enough for FC and mono lines.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Jared LeBlue

There are two types of fluorocarbon, 100% and the blended or coated or whatever they choose to call it. The 100% is going to give you better sensitivity but it's going to be stiffer and a bit more pricey. With the 100% you better learn to tie a new knot. The Palomar knot will slip. There have been a many of angler thought they were breaking their lines when in fact the knots were failing. I don't know the name of the knot I tie but it is by far the best i have used. If you google knots for fluorocarbon you will find it.
Ardent Prostaff

Oldfart9999

BPS XPS flouro is good line and so is Berkeley 100%. I don't use flouro much anymore except as a leader for my finesse dropshot, I use a swivel for that. I use mono for cranks and spinnerbaits. I jumped all over flouro when it became the line to use, used it for 3 or 4 years almost exclusively but started changing over to braid with a flouro leader for for bottom bouncers and use braid exclusively for that. I don't use it for topwater, it sinks and changes the action of the bait.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 29, 2020, 08:27:50 AM
BPS XPS flouro is good line and so is Berkeley 100%. I don't use flouro much anymore except as a leader for my finesse dropshot, I use a swivel for that. I use mono for cranks and spinnerbaits. I jumped all over flouro when it became the line to use, used it for 3 or 4 years almost exclusively but started changing over to braid with a flouro leader for for bottom bouncers and use braid exclusively for that. I don't use it for topwater, it sinks and changes the action of the bait.
Rodney

When I used flouro in the past I had settled on the Berkley 100%. It had a good all around balance of features at a price I could deal with. Since I plan on using this year as an experimental year to go back to trying products and brands that I have moved away from I'll be trying a few different flouros over the course of the year.

For line conditioners I used to use a product called Tangle Free. It was a liquid and a few drops on the top and bottom of your spooled line was all you needed. You could use it on mono, flouro or braid. No residue, smell etc, and it didn't get inside the reel like I had happen to me when I used Reel Magic.

That stuff disappeared from public view for a while and I started using the KVD stuff which I like a lot. I recently found out that Punisher Lures is now selling the Tangle Free again through Dale hollow Tackle. They have 4 different formulas now including one specifically for saltwater.

I got me a bottle of the mono formula to test this year and see if it will still work on flouro and braid too. It's a bit more expensive than the KVD stuff but one bottle lasts me longer so if it's still as good as it was in the past I'll be using this for the foreseeable future.

Tatsu Dave

Seaguar tatsu and KVD conditioner are a good pair, invisible to the fish and pretty abrasion resistant. We fish structure heavy and it lasts a season. Put 100yds a reel so two 200yd spools do my spinning rigs, about $30 a spool. Very good for smallmouth and they can spot things pretty good. Got to push the line a couple times a day and use the conditioner, no wind knots tangles or problems with twist.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Deadeye on January 26, 2020, 09:25:32 AM
Best I've found so far so my needs is Sunline Assassin. Soft and limp and easy to cast. Low memory. Great abrasion resistance.

I use it for Cranking (12 & 15 lb.) and for an alternate for Flipping Jigs (20 lb).

Some water I fish it makes no difference if I use Braid or the Fluor, on some others it seems that I get more and better bites with the Flouro.

I find that flouro has a Better Sensitivity than Mono has.

Interestingly I did a TON of research into Mono vs Flouro and found that there is quite a bit of hype on the stretch issue. In actual testing there is not much difference and in some cases Flouro stretched more than a similar Mono.

Mono Floats. Flouro Sinks. Remember that for things like a Carolina Rig.
I am with you on the Assassin, just recently started using this line and I am super impressed with it!  I hated Flouro for a long time because of price and also because I couldn't find one that I liked enough to spend the money on it!  Sunline Assassin is reasonably priced and it is very manageable!

rjn cajun

Another vote for Tatsu. I had never tried it until this year and will never go back to anything else. The stuff is absolutely amazing!! I was using Seagar Abrazx and regular Red Label and the Tatsu IMO is far better. However as everyone has mentioned it does come with a pretty big price tag. I use FC for everything these days except topwater. I do have one reel spooled with braid but haven't picked it up this year. With all the talk I'm hearing about K9 I'm going to need to try it out. I may find I'm missing out on something :)
The harbor looks much better after you have made it through a rough storm.

Gwamba

K9 has recently come out with a true fluorocarbon line I'd like to try but has been out of stock most of the Covid time...The 550yd for $19.99 is fluoro-coated nylon...nice casting but lots of stretch IMHO... My favs are...Invzx-spinning/crank baits  Abrazx-flip/pitch/jig I also like the new Sufix Gel Advance Fluoro... But there is NOTHING I can find that beats Seaguar Red Label for the pricepoint...(you will need some conditioner).... :)   
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King