Trailer Steps

Started by Pipepro, February 12, 2020, 05:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

I am thinking about building a set of steps for the trailer. A few of the things I think I need/want are:

A small platform on the tongue so I can run the winch without balancing on the 4" wide tongue

A Handhold or pole of some sort for balancing. Either on the outside of the top step or centered on the trailer tongue like a stripper pole  8)

And lastly I want it to be super stable.

Questons:

1. How many people have the steps on their trailers, and do you really use them?

2. Is there any interference between the steps and the truck bumper?

3. Does the step need to be big enough for both feet or is a smaller/narrow step just as good?

4. How close to the level of the boat deck is your top step? Flush or one step down?

5. Are there any options you wish you had for your steps? Ie. extra step, Lighted steps, or ??

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS. Looking through older threads I saw Bud was looking at D steps. Did you ever get them?

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

SteveTX

Im in on this one to see what you come up with. The bought ones seem pricy.

Pipepro

Quote from: SteveTX on February 12, 2020, 05:43:33 PM
Im in on this one to see what you come up with. The bought ones seem pricy.

Agreed.

I think I can make some that fit my boat and trailer, and have the features I want for a lot less $$.  Just in the brainstorming process I know I am going to make the steps lighted as well as part or all of the grab bar. I already have LED lights in the frame rails of the trailer, so no biggie to just re-configure the wiring for the steps.

Mike Cork

I've had them since the first guy built them in Arkansas just outside the Legend Factory. Probably since my 2008 boat.

1. How many people have the steps on their trailers, and do you really use them?
I can't imagine having a boat without them anymore. With my back issues, they are an absolute must.

2. Is there any interference between the steps and the truck bumper?
If set up properly, you'll be an inch or two of jackknife before they every become an issue.

3. Does the step need to be big enough for both feet or is a smaller/narrow step just as good?
My steps are basically big enough for one foot comfortably but you could put the tips of two feet on them.

4. How close to the level of the boat deck is your top step? Flush or one step down?
Mine are about a half a step below level with the boat.

5. Are there any options you wish you had for your steps? Ie. extra step, Lighted steps, or ??
Lights would be cool, just basic LED's maybe

Mine have a vertical iron bar with a trailer ball on top. Striper Pole.

I'll find a photo and get it posted.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Deadeye

I wanted a Step to help while running the Winch and o get on the Boat. But I wasn't going to pay the money for the ones I saw with 2-3 steps all the way up.

But then I found a simple easy flat platform that bolts onto the tongue on one side. Cost was around $30 I think.

Easy to install and you could adjust how high it was. Has worked so well for me that I don't even think about stepping on it anymore.

I'll get a pic and post it later.

PS. I found I didn't need the extra steps up or a handle to hold onto.

Bud Kennedy

I would love to have steps on my boat trailer.  Unfortunately my trailer is quite non standard and the position of the spare tire nixes using the standard product.  I have contacted the trick step folks and they are willing to do a custom for me if I can provide a shop drawing of my trailer and some detail pictures of the boat on the trailer.

I don't need them now but I can see it being a big help in the fairly near future.  I have no problem climbing in the boat during launch at this time but you never know when the old bones will say enough of that stuff.

Pipepro

All good replies guys. I dont really "need" the steps to get into the boat but I'm bored and need something to design/mess around with. Ill post up some pics once I get going on it. Maybe Ill make a run to the local steel supplier tomorrow and poke around the drops section. Never know what kind of goodies might show up!

Lipripper

Quote from: Pipepro on February 13, 2020, 04:18:58 PM
All good replies guys. I dont really "need" the steps to get into the boat but I'm bored and need something to design/mess around with. Ill post up some pics once I get going on it. Maybe Ill make a run to the local steel supplier tomorrow and poke around the drops section. Never know what kind of goodies might show up!
Might as well it's to cold and snowy to go fish up here and besides most of the water is still hard. lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

BarryFL

Quote from: Deadeye on February 13, 2020, 08:50:56 AM
I wanted a Step to help while running the Winch and o get on the Boat. But I wasn't going to pay the money for the ones I saw with 2-3 steps all the way up.

But then I found a simple easy flat platform that bolts onto the tongue on one side. Cost was around $30 I think.

Easy to install and you could adjust how high it was. Has worked so well for me that I don't even think about stepping on it anymore.

I'll get a pic and post it later.

PS. I found I didn't need the extra steps up or a handle to hold onto.
I have same. $30 delivered from Amazon. U bolts included. Sprayed it with black bedliner to match the trailer.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Rangerman

Quick Step I love mine and would not have a boat without them.  Installed in 15 min alone with a fat buddy would have been 5 mins lo Yes pricey but you get what you pay for.  Advice it you have to back or have to jack your trailer very tight caution is due.  I have had to learn to do Hard Lefts and not Hard Rights due to clearance. Longer draw bar helps.  No problem on hard lefts just a learning deal. Trick Step solid as a Rock love em.Bud it is a very short trip back to Charleston and have you buddy build you a matching set lo Cheaper than a broke leg lo lo lo

Bud Kennedy

Boots when I had the trailer made I asked for a step system and they would not do it.  Instead they recommended using after market like Trick Step.  Unfortunately the design of my trailer and the location of the spare tire is not gonna allow me to use a standard step system.  Not a problem yet but I will likely have to have something made in the near future.

SteveTX

I am sure any decent fab shop would build a set if you had some good pictures of what you wanted Bud. Around here there are several that could knock that out pretty quick if they had the trailer. I don't know what it would cost though.

Rangerman

Quick step does custom builds on request but In you case I would want all aluminum to match trailer.  :)