Shimano DC ?

Started by FD, February 16, 2020, 04:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FD

Being an Abu fan, I have no experience with these, but my buddy can't stop talking about them.

The plan is to ramp up my Guide business as I approach retirement and part of the marketing is to provide higher end equipment to use during the day trips. Money is not the primary concern but the overall "guest experience" is.

Are they as nest proof as the advertising?

How durable are they?

And how much maintenance do they require?

The online reviews are all over the place so I came to the source for honest input.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

zippyduck

The SLX DC is an awesome reel for the money. Not bullet proof but about as backlash free as I've seen.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

I have 2 of the Curado DC's and they are a nice reel. I would tell you that you have to use a bit more spool tension than you might think and they still can backlash unless you set the DC on 4 and that will cause a loss of distance but into the wind ,especially throwing something that can wind plane like a buzzbait they work well but  I still use my thumb out of 40 years of built up habit.
Overall I think they cast great going down the bank with a spinnerbait or small squarebill and that probably equals more casts in a days time. Distance wise I do believe they would out toss my Curado k
by a little.
I've read about people fighting them too but some folks have trouble figuring out a wheelbarrow so take that with a grain of salt.
I haven't done any maintenence to mine at all and as far as quality I would say it's typical Shimano some of the best.

Capt. BassinLou

I have fished with a Metanium DC for several years now. Casts great, fishes awesome. I take it to get serviced just like I do with all my other reels once a year or so. I recently had a piece break in the thumbar mechanism, but fortunately LMG took care of it quickly.

I also own a Scorpion DC and have fished with it longer than the Metanium. Out of the two DC's the Metanium digital brake works better. The Scorpion over runs easier than the Metanium.

After owning and fishing these 2 reels hard over the years, these will be the last 2 digital reels I own. Not that there bad reels, its just I don't see the allure of the digital brake, compared to a traditional reel.

Lee, you can check out my Metanium DC at the M&G next Saturday since we will be fishing together.

RangerAndBass

Lee I bought a STX DC last year to throw my jerkbaits on floro. When throwing jerkbaits into the wind the potential for backlash is huge. I never had a problem. In the end I didn't like action with floro and converted back to braid. Love it.
Too early to answer the other questions, sorry.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Jacobguy

My dad bought an SLX DC because he doesnt want to fight with birds nest everytime he goes out with us. It isnt backlash proof per say but it is definitely better.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1ReelFanatik

Have very limited experience with DC reels.  Purchased an older Exsence DC.  Got to fish with it 3 days last year while on vacation in Florida.  Only time it backlashed was when I went below MAX.  Never backlashed on MAX or any of the other settings.  And this was with no thumb...which is hard for me to do...and a fairly loose cast control setting.  Don't recall if there was a windy day.

Whenever I visit Florida I have to make minor adjustments to all my reels because I have to change my casting stroke while there.  All my reels will get overruns and a few backlashes until I can get acclimated.  The DC didn't require any adjusting.