South Holston Fishing Report 3/11/20

Started by Princeton_Man, March 12, 2020, 10:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

We were between fronts, Overcast and cloudy most of the day with sun breaking through at times. I launched from Washington County Park about 0800, water there was 47°. After some scouting of the area I ran up to Big Jacobs Creek. Surface temperature in that area was a solid 49° sometimes inching to 49.7°, water was stained with good visibility. Found some bait, also found some fish but never in the same area. Bait was up in the creek while the fish were scattered off from the points in 10-15' water.

Suspending Jerkbait, spoon, drop shot, suspending crank bait, hair jig, NuTech jig, NuTech SpinJig, NuTech Crazy Jig, all failed to entice a bite.  :( I fished until 1:30 and called it quits. I talked with two other anglers who returned just ahead of me, they had the same experience. I'm betting things got more lively later in the afternoon.

It's worth mentioning the lake is still a good 12 feet below Summer pool. TVA is currently releasing 1700cfs due to the recent rain.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

Looks like all the water sheds are being dumped out. I've never seen our lakes this low before. I think it is keeping the fish extra deep.

Thanks for posting your report.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

coldfront

Quote from: zippyduck on March 15, 2020, 10:33:01 AM
Looks like all the water sheds are being dumped out. I've never seen our lakes this low before. I think it is keeping the fish extra deep.

maybe.  they ought to be pushing shallow based on seasons.  could be worse than 'being deep':  might be suspended.

Donald Garner

Stratos Buddy, tks for sharing the trip report.  I see were not the only one's dealing with low water levels too.  They keep pumping the water out of Belton and Stillhouse for all those communities that live South of us. 

Hope your next trip is more productive.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

I don't know which way that bay is facing but it's gonna have some spawners in it one day. If it's a north bank it will be early if it's a south bank then late but one day there will be big ole bass on that one... I'm sure of it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 16, 2020, 12:28:12 PM
I don't know which way that bay is facing but it's gonna have some spawners in it one day. If it's a north bank it will be early if it's a south bank then late but one day there will be big ole bass on that one... I'm sure of it.

That's a small cove at the ramp and that bank faces South. There's some stumps down there too. I've managed to pull a few nice ones out of there first thing in the morning during the Summer. Of course there's a a lot of weigh-ins right there at the ramp. Marked a few nice places while I was there. Can't wait for the water to get back up.

Quote from: zippyduck on March 15, 2020, 10:33:01 AM

I believe it was about this time in 2018 SoHo got hit with a huge flood. Heavy property damage, Boats trapped under slip roofs etc.  I suspect they're being extra cautious of the Spring rains now.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club