More Hair Jigs

Started by bigjim5589, April 12, 2020, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

A fellow who is in our military, stationed in Japan, contacted me and asked if I could make some hair jigs for him.

He wanted all white with some silver flash, and after I showed him some photo's of various heads that I can pour, he wanted the Do It Molds, Poisontail style. It's a good swim type jig style.

This is what I sent to him. They're made in 1/4 oz., 3/8 oz., and 1/2 oz. and I used a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook in all weights. All approximately 5" long.

The heads are powder coated, and have an epoxy coat to aid in keeping the 3D eyes on while in use, and to seal the thread wraps. The weed guards are also epoxied in place after the tying has been completed. They're tied with a combination of bucktail hair and Arctic Fox tail hair.  :)

Enjoy! And thank our military folks for their service!  ~flag

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

apenland01

Lipripper

Some more nice looking jigs Jim. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

nats

Oldfart9999

Very nice Jim. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ The Poison Tail is my favorite head, comes through grass pretty well, works around docks and as a swim jig.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

Thanks for the compliments! Very much appreciated!  ;D

Rodney, that Poisontail head may be one of the very best, and most versatile jigs that Do It has designed. Do it did a great job with it. I've used it for various types of jigs, even bladed jigs and have modified a mold to make spinnerbaits with it. I know many other folks who are making similar lures with it too.

The hooks that can be used in that mold without modification are limited, but those that will fit are all very good hooks!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Oldfart9999

Yeah, I'm about out of hooks, they make good soft swimbait hooks also. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bassinkorea

They look great Jim. My friend here loves using hair jigs, but it's something I have not tried yet.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

bigjim5589

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 14, 2020, 06:17:16 AM
Yeah, I'm about out of hooks, they make good soft swimbait hooks also. lo
Rodney

Rodney, I use the Mustad wide gap hooks in that mold, and as swimbait hooks, which is what is specified for the mold, but there's a couple of round bend hooks too that will fit. But, unfortunately, not many to choose from. Mustad has 2, one is lighter wire than the other, and I have this Gamakatsu hook that I used. I only have it in 5/0, and have been looking around for 2/0 or 3/0, as those are good sizes for smaller hair jigs.

QuoteThey look great Jim. My friend here loves using hair jigs, but it's something I have not tried yet.

Thanks Steve! I'm with your friend on that, I love fishing them too. I'm guessing that they're not as popular in Asian countries as they are here, as I don't know of any jig makers over there who do tie them. I see jigs and hardbaits posted by several lure makers who are in Japan & Korea, and they're awesome looking lures, but don't recall ever seeing a hair jig from any of them. Maybe they just keep them secret!  lo