Spinning Setups

Started by FlatsNBay, May 24, 2023, 07:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Most of us use baitcasting rods and reels for bass fishing. How many of us use spinning rods and reels? What set ups do you use and what applications do you use them for?

For me, I love using spinning rods and have a ton of confidence in them. My biggest bass on a spinning rod is 9 lbs caught on a drop shot.

Although I have many different spinning rods for saltwater fishing, I basically use one for bass fishing. I prefer a 2500 series reel with a 6-10 to 7-1 medium lite rod with 10 lb. Braid to an 8 lb fluorocarbon leader.

My favorite techniques are drop shot, ned rig, Shakey head, finesse worms, and small jerkbaits.

How about you?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

RangerAndBass

I own 3 I think, vs 25 baitcasters.
I use them for small swimbaits (2.8"), weightless wacky worm for skipping docks, or dropshot or neds on the rare occasion I do that.
The rest of the time it's
BRING ON THE POWER FISHING.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

apenland01

I'm 3 to 1 spinning to baitcasters.  I use baitcasters for heavy baits and spinning for everything else...

Rusty63

I can say that I can do a lot of things with a spinning setup just as well as a baitcaster. But if I was punching mats, tossing frogs, working with a heavy jig it is a must for me to use a baitcaster.

Capt. BassinLou

I use to carry 2 spinning setups with me. But ever since I made the switch to BFS gear, I haven't needed spinning reels anymore.

FlatsNBay

One thing I've noticed over the years is the hookup to land ratio with spinning reels and big fish is excellent. Just take your time, enjoy the fight, then gently land the fish. The key for me is taking my time and letting the drag and rod do their thing.

Smallie_Stalker

Here up north spinning gear is pretty much what you are raised on. It is a staple.

My first rod and reel was an old hand-me-down steel pistol grip casting rod with a direct drive baitcaster but I got a spinning combo for my birthday when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I used spinning gear exclusively from that point on until I hit my late teens and even after that it was what I used most for a long while.

Fast forward to today and my baitcasting setups far out weigh my spinning.

For panfishing I still use spinning gear exclusively. For bass fishing I have 4 spinning setups that mostly get used for various finesse presentations like drop shot, ned and neko rigs etc.

One exception is that I still prefer a spinning rod for Carolina rigs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 24, 2023, 07:01:52 PM
Most of us use baitcasting rods and reels for bass fishing. How many of us use spinning rods and reels? What set ups do you use and what applications do you use them for?

For me, I love using spinning rods and have a ton of confidence in them. My biggest bass on a spinning rod is 9 lbs caught on a drop shot.

Although I have many different spinning rods for saltwater fishing, I basically use one for bass fishing. I prefer a 2500 series reel with a 6-10 to 7-1 medium lite rod with 10 lb. Braid to an 8 lb fluorocarbon leader.

My favorite techniques are drop shot, ned rig, Shakey head, finesse worms, and small jerkbaits.

How about you?

My PB largemouth (8.27 lbs.) was caught on a spinning rod. Finesse Carolina rig with 6 pound test Berkeley Fireline (main line and leader) and a 3/16 oz. weight.

Spinning gear can land the big ones if you use it correctly.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

ike8120

I have a number of spinning setups that I use, lipless cranks, shallow raps, neds,finesse worms, shaking heads,slip shot, super flukes
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Rusty63

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 25, 2023, 06:03:21 AM
I use to carry 2 spinning setups with me. But ever since I made the switch to BFS gear, I haven't needed spinning reels anymore.
Capt. I just have to ask a question and it's because I don't know what does a bfs rod spec out like? Medium light kinda rod with light line on a baitcaster? I have heard of bfs but I have never seen one of these .

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Rusty63 on May 25, 2023, 08:32:38 AM
Capt. I just have to ask a question and it's because I don't know what does a bfs rod spec out like? Medium light kinda rod with light line on a baitcaster? I have heard of bfs but I have never seen one of these .

My intention here is not to hijack the topic, I will quickly share my experience and not mention bfs again on this thread. Sorry Flats.  :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Bait Finesse System. I was introduced to this system with the help of FD and his great rod building skill set. I was able to convert all the techniques I throw on spinning gear, to bait casting gear. Yes, the reel system is  different, because it incorporates a very shallow spool. But most importantly, you can convert  your favorite spinning rod, and match it to a similar bait casting rod. Since changing to this system, its completely changed the way I fish for the better. 

And, to stay in-line with the thread topic, yes, I still do carry spinning setups, but only for clients.  ;)

Rusty63

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 25, 2023, 09:00:41 AM
Quote from: Rusty63 on May 25, 2023, 08:32:38 AM

My intention here is not to hijack the topic, I will quickly share my experience and not mention bfs again on this thread. Sorry Flats.  :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Bait Finesse System. I was introduced to this system with the help of FD and his great rod building skill set. I was able to convert all the techniques I throw on spinning gear, to bait casting gear. Yes, the reel system is  different, because it incorporates a very shallow spool. But most importantly, you can convert  your favorite spinning rod, and match it to a similar bait casting rod. Since changing to this system, its completely changed the way I fish for the better. 

And, to stay in-line with the thread topic, yes, I still do carry spinning setups, but only for clients.  ;)

Sorry I will stay on topic too.

J.W.

I was raised on spinning gear, and even though I flirted with baitcasters here and there through the years, I never could make the switch because all the baitcasters I tried were right handed and it felt backwards fishing with the rod in my left hand. That meant I ended up even using spinning rods for stuff spinning rods really aren't meant for. Finally got ahold of a left-handed baitcaster for the first time and that changed everything. I still use and love my spinning setups for finesse stuff, and to me, it's far easier to skip under docks and low cypress limbs with spinning gear, but I'm seriously looking at the BFS type setups and learning to skip a little better with a casting rig.

FlatsNBay

What spinning setups do you like and for wich techniques?

Pferox

All except a couple of my baitcasters are sitting  here collecting dust while my spinning gear collection has become quite vast.
Since I'm fishing salt almost all of the time now, I find spinning gear to be more advantageous for all the presentations and size species I encounter inshore.
I run from 8lb mono to 30lb mono, and some braid presentations too, depending on the place I'm fishing.
To me, baitcasters are for the chunk and wind, where as spinning gear is more for light lure presentation, and leader knot preservation, amongst other reasons I can't think of off of the top of my head.
Spinning gear seems to be sealed better than my baitcasters and thus makes maintenance quite easier.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

jwkelley51

I'm thinking that spotted bass in North Georgia requires that you have a bunch of spinning set ups ready to go.  Shakeyheads, drop shot, flukes, small paddle tails and underspins are common lures. The fish are smaller, smaller mouths and deeper than most places, imo.  You need a long cast, straight drop and a firm hookset at distance. The braid to leader seems to be more sensitive at range. I'd prefer tossing 1/2 oz lures on straight fluro baitcasters but it would be a whole lot less fish at the end of the day. I even throw my top water on them...ima skimmer, e pop, 110 sebiles.

jwkelley51

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 25, 2023, 01:35:57 PM

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 25, 2023, 01:35:57 PM

I like a 7'1" medium plus for shakey and Texas rigged flukes, 6'10" medium fast for top water and jerkbaits and a 7'1" ml for small swimbaits etc.

J.W.

Only two spinning setups I have are an old pre-Academy medium-moderate All Star rod from when they were still made in Texas, and a Dobyns Kaden 713. Both have Pflueger Presidents on them. I will probably upgrade the reel on the Dobyns to something better in the future, but it's pretty low on my priority list. The Presidents are not the best reels out there by any stretch, but are really good reels for that price point.