Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Pascagoula River

(Read 840 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

fishingram24

• Largemouth
Got out about 9 this morning which was 4-5 hours to early, high tide was 11:15 and did not start falling until after 1 for our first afternoon falling tide since last fall. Caught 2 nice fish before noon but from 2 until 4:30 I managed 8 more stuffed to the gills keepers and that many shorts before I left the lower marsh and ran back to Bluff Creek to try some topwater without much luck. All my fish came on the Zoom UV worm in 5-7' of water,  tight to the grass line in deeper bends of bayous below I-10 as the tide fell. Clear skies, 55 degrees when I left and 75 later in the day, winds calm early then out of the South at 10 mph  in the afternoon, water temps 73-75 and visibility 1-2'. Fun day on the water.     
Retired and loving every minute of it!

Lee Smith

• Gotta Love It!
that's a good day brother!  ~c~  ~c~
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Playing the tide adds another element but you go when you can go ~c~ Sounds like a good day, thanks for the report.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishingram24

• Largemouth
Mike tide makes all the difference on a tidal system, especially from now until winter and falling is much better than rising. Being retired, I can go whenever I want so all you guys that have to work, I'll leave Saturday just for you.     

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Why is a falling tide better than rising?

Bayou

• Smallmouth
  • Bass Baby
Well, to me the falling tide is better, because all the bait is moving back into the deeper water from the shallows. But that's just my thinking...
Bayou'

fishingram24

• Largemouth
As Bayou said the falling tide pulls bait out of the grass and bass can sit in ambush around the mouths of small drains, ditches and bayous and get their fill and it shrinks down the total area that the bait has to hide in . It kind of rings their dinner bell. Rising tide pushes bait in and expands total surface area buy a lot thus giving much more room for dinner to hide also gives bass more room to roam and not concentrated into small areas.

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Thanks. I have only fished high tides in my neck of the woods ( Ft Bayou ) so far. I might have to plan an evening trip some time to catch it on the fall. I assume the best part of a falling tide is not when it initially starts falling? Maybe half way into a falling tide?

fishingram24

• Largemouth
Clinton350 you are absolutely correct, middle to low tide is usually the best. Late afternoons this time of year from 4 until dark is normally good. Please note my phrasing "usually" and "normally", there is nothing absolute about tidal bass fishing. Wish I could give some current updates but I sold my boat 5 weeks ago and have another 5 or 6 weeks before delivery of my new Xpress X 18 Pro. Worse than waiting on Christmas as a kid.   

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Great thanks. I tried Sunday where Bayou Talla dumps into Ft Bayou's main channel. We got there about 8:00 am and the tide was barely falling. I would have tried later in the day but on the weekends it's tough to get a parking spot where I launch if you get there too late. Had a few bites on texas rigged Zoom speed worms dragging them slowly on the bottom but couldn't hook anything. Not sure what kind of fish it was. Will try again on a stronger tide later into the falling phase.

fishingram24

• Largemouth
Clinton350 try Zoom ultra vibe speed worm with 3/16 or 1/4 oz.weight and slowly reel it back. Also this time of year a DOA shrimp can be deadly. It has no action other than what you give it, skip across the top of the water, let it sink several feet or twitch it about a foot under water. My buddy caught a 4-8 this morning near Parker Creek on Back Bay on one plus quite a few more plus hooked or almost hooked a 3' tarpon on it as well. Got 2 jumps before line broke. I use 1/4 oz 3" size in gold glitter but super glue the hook in before you ever use it, will last so much longer that way. If you see a shrimp running across the top of the water you can bet its life is in danger.

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Will do. Thank you sir!