Smooth braid

Started by apiazza, May 09, 2020, 06:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Who seems the have the smoothest braid? I have some tuff-line domin8 on my citica and fury combo and now that it's broken in it feels like I running a saw blade through the guides. I have power pro on some other cheaper rod combos but I'm wondering if I just need to mentally adjust to the increase sensitivity of the rod or switching braided lines.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FD

I fish power pro only. I think it has the best overall performance of any braid.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Princeton_Man

I fish Power Pro also and extremely happy with it. I have also fished Power Pro Super Slick and if you want an extremely smooth surface, you may want to try it but, it's stiffer. If you want a softer braid, try Spiderwire, but it frays easier and I had problems with wind knots.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

8 strands are smooth, 4 strands are course. Sufix 832, and Spiderwire seem to have the better options of smooth braid. Just remember, 8 strand is gonna fray more easily.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

apiazza

I'll stick with the power pro that I have around. Going to chuck the domin8 I think.

Bud Kennedy

apiazza

I always struggle with picking a test for braid. I had 50 on it being I was using it mostly for frogs. I might stick with that or run 40. The 200 size real certainly has enough capacity.

Capt. BassinLou

Power pro is the braid I mainly use 98% of the time.
I only throw:
40lbs: for general fishing
50lbs: frogging(50lb MaxCuatro)/flipping
65lbs: punching

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Interesting I have been using Tuff Line Domin8 50lb this year on a jig pitching setup. Its on a Quantum Smoke and a Falcon Hudson jig rod LFC-74H with the "K Frame" Fuji guides and FazLite guide rings. I admit its my first season using Domin8 but so far my experience has been great. I have had excellent service from it as it has been really smooth, quiet, and tough. I'll be keeping a close watch on it and see if things change. I admit I have only fished it 3 trips and 2 of those were short. But the line was smooth as butter after my last outing. But all that can change quickly only time will tell.

I used and and still use regular Power Pro for years as it has been great also. But my favorite is Sufix 832. Its just usually more $ than Power Pro and not readily available at Walmart like Power Pro. So I stock up when I catch a sale and keep a inventory of Sufix at the house.

Im a lot like Bassinlou.
30 and 40lbs: for general fishing
50lbs: frogging pitching in sparse vegetation
65lbs: punching frogging pitching heavy cover thick vegetation

apiazza

I picked up more 50 while at wally world. I have been using 30/40 on most my rods and 50 on this frog/jig rod so glad I'm consistent.

The domin8 has performed well. I just noticed recently that its seemed rough. That line has been on the spool for almost 3 seasons so it may just need to be replaced in general.

FlatsNBay

I'm with Steve again. I've been using Tuf-Line Domin8 since it came out and love it. It's an 8 carrier braid that is subtle, sensitive and casts well. It's not as good in heavy cover as 4 strand but better manageable and smoother handling.  For heavy cover flipping and frogging, TufLine 4orce is my go to because it's a 4 strand braid and is much tougher and better in heavy cover. I used to use Power Pro exclusively for many  years and switched to TufLine a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

apiazza

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 09, 2020, 03:39:17 PM
I'm with Steve again. I've been using Tuf-Line Domin8 since it came out and love it. It's an 8 carrier braid that is subtle, sensitive and casts well. It's not as good in heavy cover as 4 strand but better manageable and smoother handling.  For heavy cover flipping and frogging, TufLine 4orce is my go to because it's a 4 strand braid and is much tougher and better in heavy cover. I used to use Power Pro exclusively for many  years and switched to TufLine a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Like I said, performance wise I've really had no issues with it, but after a couple years it was getting rough. Maybe have just been age. It also may have been just that I put the reel on a more sensitive rod than I have ever owned and it's a sensation I need to accept. I've also been throwing a lot of flouro lately.

hydrillagorillahunter

I've been using maxcuatro lately and do like how it holds dye better than most.  But when it comes to overall performance, sufix832 is the preferred choice.  I've had maxcuatro 20lb snap tying a bloodknot.  I've never had sufix832 snap on me.  And I've used several spools of maxcuatro.  Yeah it's a 4-ply, but still.  I just don't like how sufix832 fades so quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WjqYuKvrHQ

Capt. BassinLou

I was concerned at first on how MaxCuatro was going to hold up to my volume of frog fishing. Surprisingly I have had 0 issues or break offs. ( Knock on wood). Fortunately Power Pro came out with MaxCuatro, due to the number of reels I have with shallow spools.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 09, 2020, 06:56:27 PM
Fortunately Power Pro came out with MaxCuatro, due to the number of reels I have with shallow spools.

This is why I run it...for my shallow spool reels.  It does cast very very well, might be the best casting braid on the market.

LgMouthGambler

To add to this discussion...I have been using braid straight from the source from China for quite some time...

No issues yet seeing as how most brands buy from there and add there own waxes and color. And I can get 1000m for about $20.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

jwkelley51

I only used the yellow PP on spinning reels but I bought some 40lb. J Braid for some baitcasters this year. It was cheap, I believe that was because it didn't have dye, it's white but all that means is it won't bleed and I can see it fine. I've thrown it some everytime I go out and it's been flawless, no back lashes, no cutting in on itself and it really increased sensitivity. I've never noticed it making a noise so I guess it's reasonably smooth. Only thing is that if the wind is heavy it might wrap around the rod tip if you get too much slack out at the end. I have become a braid believer thanks to tips from this forum.

bro_drey

I use powerpro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bro_drey

On an aldebaren mgl 50 I use 20 lb (10lb leader). On a 13 fishing concept z I use 50lb (top water) Revo rocket I use 50 (buzzbait/wakebaits). Suffix is amazing as well . I actually don't like the powerpro super slick I feel like it digs in on itself maybe it's just me

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 09, 2020, 10:24:57 AM
Power pro is the braid I mainly use 98% of the time.
I only throw:
40lbs: for general fishing
50lbs: frogging(50lb MaxCuatro)/flipping
65lbs: punching

wondering what you have on your spinning rods for all 'those' applications?

;D

I know, I know:  what's a spinning rod...

bro_drey

I like fireline for my spinners

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on May 30, 2020, 09:31:24 PM
wondering what you have on your spinning rods for all 'those' applications?

;D

I know, I know:  what's a spinning rod...
That's an excellent question and I completely forgot and left out... doh!! I use 20lb PP on spinning gear. Thanks CF.  ~beer~

GermanKnight

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 09, 2020, 07:15:29 AM
I fish Power Pro also and extremely happy with it. I have also fished Power Pro Super Slick and if you want an extremely smooth surface, you may want to try it but, it's stiffer. If you want a softer braid, try Spiderwire, but it frays easier and I had problems with wind knots.
I've done so much in the line testing category and can honestly say that power pro is my favorite all around braid. It just works. Kastking also works well.

Im also partial to j braid. Jbraid does seem like it's higher quality. Spider wire didn't hold knots at well as power pro, jbraid, kastking. It also frays really bad. But that can be fixed. If you use braid it's your job to keep a lighter with you or super glue. 

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Denali custom rods.