Hollow Body Frog Modifications

Started by Capt. BassinLou, May 25, 2020, 10:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Last time we spoke about Hollow Body Frog (HBF) fishing, I covered the important role frog color choice could play through out the different times/conditions of the day. Just in case you missed that post, here it is --> Choosing Hollow Body Frog Colors

In addition to choosing that right HBF color(s), the modifications made to the frog can/will also play an important role on the success of your outing.

Over the years I have learned a few key HBF modifications from observing excellent HBF enthusiasts I have had the pleasure to fish with. Below I will share a couple of HB mods  ;) as they apply to the areas I HBF fish.

- Use of rattles: Since sound is one of the other key senses a bass uses in the hunt for prey, inserting a rattle into the cavity of a HBF can be a huge "game changer".

- Skirt Trimming: Trimming the skirt length of a HBF helps minimize the bulk of your frog, thus increasing your chance of a better hook up.

The modifications I listed above, are obviously not "Top Secret". These mods have been around FOREVER and talked about to death. But.... they do have their time and place on where to use them.

When should a modified HB frog be used versus a non-modified HB frog?

We have all had outings where we can't do no wrong. Dean Rojas can't even come close to the HB frog outing we're having..  lo lo  Sadly, this is not the norm when it comes to HB frog fishing. There are times when the conditions are screaming HBF but the bass are either not willing to cooperate or are short striking and not really committing on taking the HBF.

Out comes a modified HBF. Before dismissing the HBF all together and trying out another technique. One might be surprised on how introducing sound and presenting a less bulky HBF will drive those bass crazy.

As I mentioned, these HBF modifications are not "New". But, next time your out HBF fishing and the bite is not going the way you like, give these mods a try and see what may happen.  :)

What other HBF modifications have you found helpful?

Thanks for reading.  ~beer~

Mike Cork

I use a lot of BBs not only does a couple steel BB's add sound, it also allows the frog to sit heavy in the ass end and improve hook ups. Sometimes if they don't want the extra noise I'll wrap a little section of suspend strips on the hooks to get it to sit heavy.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 25, 2020, 10:32:34 AM
I use a lot of BBs not only does a couple steel BB's add sound, it also allows the frog to sit heavy in the ass end and improve hook ups. Sometimes if they don't want the extra noise I'll wrap a little section of suspend strips on the hooks to get it to sit heavy.

Good ones Mike,  :-* :-* thank you for sharing.

TNDiver

How much do you trim?  Some of them are ridiculous in how long they are.  And I have also heard that some trim one side shorter than the other to help it walk better.  Ever heard of that?
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: TNDiver on May 25, 2020, 11:50:27 AM
How much do you trim?  Some of them are ridiculous in how long they are.  And I have also heard that some trim one side shorter than the other to help it walk better.  Ever heard of that?
Trimming frog skirts to assist in walking the frog is a common technique. I'm from the school of thought of learning how to work the frog better than having to cut one side of the skirt shorter than the other. Its the OCD in me I think...
Trim length may vary  across brands due to the fact that out of the box, each brands skirt length varies. So trimming an 1" or so is common practice.
The bulk changes I'm referring to on this thread are when the skirts are trimmed 2" or more.

Donald Garner

Lou, tks for sharing the frogging modifications tips  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

The hooks on some brands of HB frogs tend to be turned too far inward IMO. I usually bend them outward just a bit so they ride in a straight line Not enough so they lose their weedlessness, but just enough so the hook drives forward in a straight line when they chomp down on it.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Sixpack

I always trim my HBF one side shorter than the other. The longest side is even with the frog nose & the shorter side maybe a quarter inch shorter. This makes walking the frog a lot easier. I also bend the hook tips up a little to ensure a better hook up. Besides the added sound when using BB's in the body you can also gain some distance with the extra weight...
Triton TR-22 DC Pro, 2005, 225 Evinrude HO/DI, two 8' Power Pole Blades on the back, Minn Kota 36v 101# on the bow.