Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Need help with Ft Bayou

(Read 514 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
I'm fairly new to fresh water fishing. I caught bream all summer last year up Ft Bayou out of a kayak launching at The Shed boat ramp. I was using beetle spins which did well with the bream but only caught a couple of small bass all year. This year I'm looking to get into some bass but so far have had zero luck. Launched from The Shed today and threw chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs and texas rigged zoom speed worm with no luck.

The day before I tried way up bluff creek and the week before I spent 3 days fishing the biloxi river. No luck either place. I was thinking about trying lower FT Bayou tomorrow launching by the apartments boat ramp. If I can't find a bass maybe I'll get lucky and hook a redfish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I must be completely off target to not find a single fish anywhere I went.

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Found some small bass this morning around FT Bayou apartments. Spent about an hour and a half casting a white chatterbait and a white spinner bait with no bites. Switched to a watermelon super fluke and hooked a small one on the second cast. Caught two more really small ones before the weather started moving in. Didn't really feel like fishing in a thunderstorm so I called it a successful scouting trip and paddled my kayak back to the dock.

Was really surprised they wouldn't hit the chatterbait or spinnerbait. Maybe a more natural color would have been more appealing. Also I noticed the water was really salty. Didn't think bass would like that much salt water but goes to show how much I know I guess.

Bayou

• Smallmouth
  • Bass Baby
Try using a June Bug Zoom worm, Carolina rig or possibly a floating worm rig up with a swivel about 12" above the hook... No weight... The worm should have a light colored belly, or purple with white tail... Work it like walking the dog...
It should help...   
Bayou'

Clinton350

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Thanks. I had a little luck with flukes but really haven't given the zoom speed worm enough of a chance. Found they'll hit top water frogs / toads so I'm kinda addicted to that now.

Bayou

• Smallmouth
  • Bass Baby
I've got a buddy that fishes mostly spinner baits. But when he goes to plastic, he uses a Frog. He does well with it... I fish slow, so I like using a worm...I fish it all the way back to the boat as well... A lot of time, the fish will follow it right up to the boat before hitting it...
Bayou'

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB